CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
Joseph Martin

Profile:
Could someone please explain the reasoning or line of thinking behind the "1-1-1-1-1-1-1 rep" workouts or point me to an article/other material so that I might read up on it?

Is the purpose simply to measure your progress? I'd appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:14 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Joseph, that rep structure provides us an opportunity to work up to a new one rep max or get some volume in just below an established 1r.m.

Not only an opportunity to monitor progress but also a chance to practice lifting something really heavy. (This point is covered quite nicely in one of the WOD comment threads you cross posted this question to)

Another tip, asking the same question in 3 or 4 different places in quick succession is not the best way to get an answer. Instead spend the time thinking about where best to put your question.

ie.
-not at the end of another thread on another topic
-not in the comments for a later WOD
-How about in a new thread labelled "Reasoning for 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 rep"?? That might do it.

Posting your question in the relevant day's WOD comments would have been an even better option.

Cheers, kempie
Old 07-15-2007, 02:41 AM   #3
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
"Posting your question in the relevant day's WOD comments would have been an even better option. "

I did such a thing, but I don't think I got a response. Anyhow, Is it better to sequentially ramp up the weight to max, or try and lift max or near-max weights continuously?

for example:
100/110/120/130/140/145/150
vs.
140/145/150/150/145/145/140

or something.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:
The second is better. You get more work closer to your 1RM. If you can handle the volume of that many singles close to a 1RM then go for it.

In reality these workouts need warming up for, most people I know warm up with 3-4 progressive sets before getting to the 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 WOD.

So while my post looked like this:
225, 275, 295, 305, 315, 325, 325.

There were in actuality 3-4 sets before these work sets.
2x10x135, 5x185, 5x205

And I hadn't benched in a while, so I wasn't sure where I was gonna end up or how I was gonna feel benching heavy(which is why my post looks like your first option, not the preferred 2nd option).
Old 07-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
Thanks for the input. I am unsure how this will turn out with the hang squat clean WOD, because my form limits me just as much as strength. Gotta improve in all respects.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:
If your form sucks, choose a lower weight and try for seven perfect reps. That's what I did for the back squats when they came up recently - it'd been a long time since I squatted, I was unsure of my form, and I was just finished some treatment that allowed me to back squat safely in the first place. Not the time for 7x1 of my maximum, so I choose some reasonable weights around 80-90% of my 1RM and tried for 7 good ones.

Now I think my form is good, so I'll go right for a set like this next time:

% 1RM:

85% - 90% - 95% - 100% - 100% - 100+% - 100+%

+ being some minimal increment (2.5 kg, maybe) over my 1RM to try to nudge it up.

Or something right around there. That's after a few warmup sets of much lighter weight, usually 3-5 reps starting at 5/bar only up to 3/75% 1RM.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
Nick Greer

Profile:
I was thinking about these 1rm days. I often go to the gym alone and have nobody to spot for me. Also the gym I go to for convenience and cheapness has a lot of machines and crap but not very many good *real* heavy lifting stations. It's not a place where you can drop the loaded barbell from an OHS if you reach failure. So is there a good surrogate for the 1rm days that allow for more than 1 rep per set so that I can stop myself before I hit that true true failure rep?

(Message edited by DFelon204409 on July 23, 2007)