CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-15-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
Garrett Smith

Profile:
The owner of the training studio chain I'm doing the nutrition/body comp lectures for asked me for meal plan(s) for the people who choose to embark on this Paleo journey with me...this is what I came up with (spoonfeeding just ain't my thing):

Feel free to use it with your clients/friends/family if you find it of value, I'd appreciate if you left my name and info on the top...

For those of you wondering, I'm concerned with getting people's food choices right first, as I feel this is more important health-wise than the amounts. I'm going to be bringing in the Zone concept about halfway through the 12 weeks, once people have adjusted their shopping habits. I think both pieces (Paleo and Zone) are too big to take on at one time, so I'm splitting them up.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Planning Your Meals.doc (36.0 KB, 325 views)
Old 06-15-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Slight improvements:

Attached Files
File Type: doc Planning Your Meals.doc (37.0 KB, 354 views)
Old 06-16-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Nicely done, thanks!
Old 06-16-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Thanks Larry! That means a lot coming from you! :proud:
Old 06-16-2006, 09:10 AM   #5
Yael Grauer

Profile:
This is great! I love Larabars, and I also bought out the Alaskan Pink Salmon at Trader Joe's when I read about it in the Performance Menu.

I wanted to ask you, as a fellow desert-dweller, whether you follow this same diet even in our 108-degree summer months. I find myself gravitating away from eggs, steak and protein shake towards yogurt with fruit, and my snacks change from milk, cheese and beef jerky to fruit, fruit and fruit. Also I find myself drinking fruit juice and Gatorade since my water percentages are so low, that I figure my need to stay hydrated might even override my need to keep my glucagon and insuline balanced.

Just curious what your thoughts are...
Old 06-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
Mike Minium

Profile:
Nice doc, doc.

Mike

Old 06-16-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Yael,
Sounds pretty fruity. :happy:

I've heard another woman tell me this same thing. While I do think that seasonal variations in macronutrient/food availability exist, when I hear about people nearly abandoning protein and good fats in the summer months due to the heat, I think one of two things:
1) Many of us (ie. me, of Scandinavian heritage) aren't supposed to live in the desert.
2) Where are these nutrients going to come from, especially in people who are already low in bodyfat and wishing to maintain current levels of lean muscle?

I do wish to learn and incorporate a more seasonal-based approach to my food intake (which I will then share with my patients, of course). That said, I love my meat and fats. Right now I'm working on the Lights Out! 9.5 hours of sleep goal, it's working itself out steadily.

My advice to you regarding hydration is to stick with high water % fruits and herbal teas. Ditch the (pasteurized) fruit juice and especially the Gatorade. If it is fresh fruit juice, dilute it at the very least 3x with water (ie. 25% juice, 75% water).

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Mike!
Old 06-16-2006, 06:45 PM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Good stuff as always G-man!
Old 06-16-2006, 08:57 PM   #9
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not eating a fruitarian diet, I promise... The mornings are tough for me, and midday snacks. I still eat Zone lunches and dinners and am trying to think of ways to sneak extra protein in the morning. Maybe hardboiled eggs or something.

Anyways, great document! Breaks it down really well. Would love to see the follow-ups when they are available.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I would have posted this in the original thread, with the food list, the thread had been closed though. Glad so many of you are finding use for it!