CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-25-2006, 05:40 AM   #1
Jason Billows

Profile:
A friend of mine recently introduced me to Goji juice. He has been singing its praises for quite some time, stating numerous benefits he has received from regular consumption from the juice.

Does anyone have any experience with Gogi juice? Dr. G? I have searched the forums and found one post about Goji juice, but nobody at the time had experience or info to back up some of the claims.

My buddy is quite a healthy guy. He doesn't do CF, but does similar functional based workouts and leads a very healthy lifestyle. He hasn't promoted the Goji juice as a "magic pill", but says it is definitely a key supplement to his diet.

I'm going to give it a try and will provide more feedback to the CF community, but I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who already has info on it.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:16 AM   #2
Nikki Young

Profile:
The only thing i would consider is because the berry is juiced, it would have lost a lot of its nutrient/antioxidant effect. As soon as anything 'alive' is exposed to oxygen, nutrients start to die off. Imagine an apple for instance, if you cut it in half and leave it out it will start to brown, thats oxidation and the dying off of nutrients.

So anything juiced and bottled has been exposed to oxygen, and unless it's fresh and consumed within 4min or so, it starts to become nutrient deficient. Not saying there is nothing good left in it, but you are better off in consuming the berry, as that is where all the good health benefits and research has been done, if you can't find any research on the juice istelf playing good effect then you can only really try it out yourself and see how you go, but either way the oxidation has already occured.