CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Aryeh Ohayon

Profile:
Nice Sabbath observant Jewish guy wants CF L1

I'm in the States and looking to get CF L1 certified. However, I am also shomer Shabbat (Sabbath observant), and I have been unable to find a facility that has a split type of option that would allow for the Shabbat as well as the certification. Does anyone know if such a facility exists? If, so, please let me know.

I have had contact with Dave Castro from CF Corporate, he seemed to indicate that there were some places around, but Ihaven't heard anything back from him since last fall.

Toda raba,

Aryeh

Last edited by Aryeh Ohayon : 03-25-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Nice Sabbath observant Jewish guy wants CF L1

The L1 certs are put on by HQ not affiliates themselves, there are travelling HQ Trainers that go around and host the Cert out of different affiliates. Unfortunately, it being a 2 day cert, always occurs on Sat & Sunday (I haven't seen one not over a weekend in a long time), you will pretty much have to just keep an eye on the listings. You might look into the specialty certs, as those do sometimes fall on other days of the week. Or you could attempt to establish a relationship with a local affiliate that is capable of hosting a cert (there are certain size and equipment requirements), and hope they may take your request to host during the week.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Sam Ser

Profile:

i looked into this a while back and ran into the same problem. the mid-week certs were usually mostly private affairs done for police units and whatnot, and the certs were becoming pretty formally saturday-sunday deals.

you may have to wait until crossfit herzliya does a cert.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Wright Patterson AFB here in Dayton had a cert on a wed/thurs. Maybe military certs are your best bet, but they are normally closed to the general public.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Never heard that one before, tough question. I run a military box and we host a lot of certs that are open to the public, but all on the weekend since that's when we can do it. I'd keep after Dave Castro, and also try deana@crossfit.com as well. Dave's the director of training, Deana does a lot of the day to day stuff for L1 certs. They're both flooded with a massive amount of email daily, so you should also keep scrubbing L1 listings at least weekly to see what's available. I have to say though, that non-weekend certs are going to be the rare exception. Sorry I can't offer more.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
Sam Ser

Profile:

i wonder whether HQ would set up a "level 1 shop" -- a dedicated box with a dedicated staff for level 1 certs -- where anyone could reserve a spot for certs taking place sat-sun, mon-tue, or wed-thu.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Talk to your Rabbi; you may simply have to change your perspective on it. You're enriching yourself and your life through the cert...so it may not be as out of line or frowned upon as you think.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #8
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Gowens View Post
Talk to your Rabbi; you may simply have to change your perspective on it. You're enriching yourself and your life through the cert...so it may not be as out of line or frowned upon as you think.
"Donny, you're out of your element!"
Old 04-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
Brian O'Laughlin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ser View Post
"Donny, you're out of your element!"
LMAO!!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:58 AM   #10
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryeh Ohayon View Post
I'm in the States and looking to get CF L1 certified. However, I am also shomer Shabbat (Sabbath observant), and I have been unable to find a facility that has a split type of option that would allow for the Shabbat as well as the certification. Does anyone know if such a facility exists? If, so, please let me know.

I have had contact with Dave Castro from CF Corporate, he seemed to indicate that there were some places around, but Ihaven't heard anything back from him since last fall.

Toda raba,

Aryeh
Probably not going to happen....