CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Jamie Lynn Hughes

Profile:
Rumor: Up to FOUR MONTHS to affiliate?!

Is this true? If so I find it hard to believe one can properly begin a business without some of the most basic elements; a name. You need a name for registering your business type, applying for insurance, setting up all kinds of other accounts, and so much more than I can even list. A friend who has some HQ friends said he heard this from them. Please tell me he meant up to four WEEKS.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Ryan Robertson

Profile:
Re: Rumor: Up to FOUR MONTHS to affiliate?!

We submitted our essay on January 14th, 2014, and received our acceptance (name not approved) on February 14th, so one month for us. I'm hoping it hasn't jumped to four months, but I'm sure as Regionals and the Games come up, that lag time will increase.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Ryan Robertson

Profile:

Also, you can start much of the process without your CF name - you'll be doing business as (DBA) that CF affiliate name, but your LLC or business entity shouldn't contain CrossFit. We're opening in Texas as well, and were able to file with the State and Federal government with our LLC name, no problem. Business bank accounts and building leases as well should be under the entity - if you were to, for whatever reason, no longer be an affiliate, what happens then?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Frank Foehrenbach

Profile:

I think it takes 4-8 weeks to hear back on your affiliation acceptance once you have submitted the application and essay.

While you are waiting to hear back on your approval, you can get your business entity created. I recommend an LLC or an S-Corp. You can search on Google for the differences. I went with an S-Corp, but LLC is a little quicker and easier to setup. I hired a lawyer and an accountant to set these up for me and spent about $3k on this. Once you have these set up, you can let affiliate support know.

Also while you are wanting to hear back from CFHQ, talk to insurance companies and get quotes. The two most popular are CrossFit RRG and AffiliateGuard. I went with CrossFit RRG. I definitely recommend going with an insurance provider that specializes in CrossFit like the two above.

Once you hear back from affiliate support that your application is approved, you will need to sign up for insurance and the insurance co will forward your insurance info over to support.

The thing that took me months was finding a space that I was happy with and then dealing with the city for the permits. I think most people look for a space and handle this while they are waiting to hear back on their affiliation, but there is no guarantee you will be approved.

I, and apparently others, have had issues with affiliate name selection. So it took about a month of back and forth with affiliate support and the owner of the box our name was in conflict with to get that resolved. CFHQ will let you know that your app is approved, but that there is an issue with your name if there is an issue.

Also you can start designing your website, but you are not supposed to buy a URL with CrossFit in it, until you are approved for affiliation.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
Jamie Lynn Hughes

Profile:

Thanks for the info. We have done all those things and still waiting on approval. I don't foresee a name issue because we are not chasing typical names but we also have a list of others that we can use, too.

Got an email back from HQ, 4-6 weeks which means we should hear back in the next 8 business days. Checking email like crazy! Hope it comes soon! We had to put a few things in the name of our box in order to secure our line of credit so I'm hoping we won't have to change anything. I've got all the "things you can't do with the name CrossFit" lined up ready to go after approval.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Frank Foehrenbach

Profile:

So one mistake I made was including CrossFit in the name of my company. Originally the name of our S-Corp was "First City CrossFit and Yoga". I found out after the fact that this is a no-no. I changed the name of the company to "First City Strength and Fitness". You will then file a Doing Business As (DBA) for your CrossFit affiliate name.

Also once you complete the affiliate process, make sure you go through the email. There are additional steps for getting your box listed on the affiliate map and getting your website linked to the affiliate map. There is also an additional process for getting access to the affiliate owners section of these forums.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
Charles Wischmann

Profile:

ryan,

how long did it take to get your name appoved?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #8
Mike Doehla

Profile:

I'm very new right now. It took 4 weeks to hear back. Another week for name approval since i was denied at first, then maybe another week or two for the agreement. Then another week or 2 after they got my insurance info.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
Charles Wischmann

Profile:

So about another 4 weeks thats crazy. Ugg