CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Cam Peavy

Profile:
Intermittent Fasting on Paleo.. Help

I'm really looking into intermittent fasting on Paleo for a few reasons:

1) I want to lose 2% body fat (currently around 11%)
2) My schedule keeps me busy for about 6 hours where eating is hard

My current "stats": I'm 18, ~11% body fat, 145 lbs, 5'8" and I'm on about a 95% paleo diet. I do crossfit 4-5 times a week and sprints roughly 2-3 times a week (time permitting). I currently don't count calories, just eat when I'm hungry (I've close to perfected my diet in my mind) and I'm just looking to burn that last bit of fat.

I've read about intermittent fasting and the benefits and different ways but I was wondering if someone could help me and give me a system that I could try out. It would be greatly appreciated it.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Intermittent Fasting on Paleo.. Help

i suggest you eat more and lift heavy things and gain at least 20lbs. but, even if you don't, i wouldn't suggest IF with your current training program. IF is more for people that focus on looks and most that do it lift heavy 3 or 4 times a week and nothing else. people that do CF and sprints aren't going to do as well on IF. if you really want to try it, then all you need to know is that you fast for a period of about 16 hours a day and eat all your food during the other 8 hour window. considering your situation and goals, i would suggest looking into carb backloading or the renegade diet, both of which can be found in the nutrition section on these boards. also, you may need to decide if your primary goal is more about looks or more about performance, because doing CF 4 or 5 times a week plus sprints is likely not best for looks, and worrying about losing bodyfat and doing IF at your weight is certainly not best for performance.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
i suggest you eat more and lift heavy things and gain at least 20lbs. but, even if you don't, i wouldn't suggest IF with your current training program. IF is more for people that focus on looks and most that do it lift heavy 3 or 4 times a week and nothing else. people that do CF and sprints aren't going to do as well on IF. if you really want to try it, then all you need to know is that you fast for a period of about 16 hours a day and eat all your food during the other 8 hour window. considering your situation and goals, i would suggest looking into carb backloading or the renegade diet, both of which can be found in the nutrition section on these boards. also, you may need to decide if your primary goal is more about looks or more about performance, because doing CF 4 or 5 times a week plus sprints is likely not best for looks, and worrying about losing bodyfat and doing IF at your weight is certainly not best for performance.
I just started Crossfit not too long ago but before that, I did Strength Training 3 times a week and HIIT 2 times a week.. I'm going for looks, not performance.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Peavy View Post
I just started Crossfit not too long ago but before that, I did Strength Training 3 times a week and HIIT 2 times a week.. I'm going for looks, not performance.
well then pick a diet and training program that fits those goals. and what look are you going for that would think it was good to weigh 145?
Old 08-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
well then pick a diet and training program that fits those goals. and what look are you going for that would think it was good to weigh 145?
Putting on muscle isn't easy for me, even with a solid program and coach (Not easy for my dad / grandfather either). Being 145 isn't my goal weight, it's just what I am at this point where I like how I look.

Like I said, I eat primarily Paleo. If you could point me in the direction of how to gain more mass and still stay lean (a program that actually works) , I would be in your debt.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

What are your current lifts; deadlift, squat, overhead press, clean, bench press?
Old 08-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
What are your current lifts; deadlift, squat, overhead press, clean, bench press?
Hardly ever 1RM with my Athletic Trainer so I'll give you my low rep weights...

Deadlift: 2x2 @ 315 lb

Squat: 3x3 @ 175 lb

Push Press: 3x2 @ 130 lb

Power Clean: 5x2 @ 150 lb

Bench Press: 2x2 @ 150 lb
Old 08-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Seems like you are pretty much maxxed out at those, squat could be better, but others seems right.

imo, you should start some strenght program, stronglift 5x5, starting strenght or 5/3/1 will defo work for you.
But remember, you also have to eat big, to get big.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Peavy View Post
Putting on muscle isn't easy for me, even with a solid program and coach (Not easy for my dad / grandfather either). Being 145 isn't my goal weight, it's just what I am at this point where I like how I look.

Like I said, I eat primarily Paleo. If you could point me in the direction of how to gain more mass and still stay lean (a program that actually works) , I would be in your debt.
read these...

http://johnwelbourn.powerathletehq.c...sfit-football/

http://johnwelbourn.powerathletehq.c...-training-for/

both links WFS

and if you are looking for a diet that will be paleo and allow for lean mass gain then here it is...

http://www.crossfitfootball.com/page...page=nutrition link WFS

so basically, you need to decide what you want and what your goal is, then choose matching programs and diets to meet those goals. doing paleo IF, while doing lots of crossfit plus sprints, while hoping to lose fat, while hoping to gain muscle all at the same time, while mainly being concerned with how looks is not a good plan. if you are mainly concerned with looks and want to do IF, then follow the workout program recommended. if you want to do crossfit and sprints, then follow a diet the supports that type of training. if you want to gain muscle mass, then train and eat in a way that will accomplish that.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Seems like you are pretty much maxxed out at those, squat could be better, but others seems right.

imo, you should start some strenght program, stronglift 5x5, starting strenght or 5/3/1 will defo work for you.
But remember, you also have to eat big, to get big.
Okay thanks for the advice, I'll look into them.