CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-08-2005, 04:12 PM   #1
Zach Nikka

Profile:

ive been eating paleo for awhile now very strict, with hardly any prohibited foods at all. the thing is, im eating nothing but chicken breast and tuna when im lucky enough to have it. these are the only practical sources of protein i can find without going hunting for wild game or spending alot of money on things like lobster and shrimp....ive also been trying to restrict my carb intake to only the mornings and post-workout, so those are the only times i eat fruit. so right now, my meals basically consist of dry chicken breast or tuna (which i run out of very fast), and maybe some nuts. can anybody give me a few food suggestions for different sources of protein? am i being too incredibly strict with my diet? i dont think ive ever had such a bad craving for OATMEAL of all things.....any help is appreciated

-zach
Old 08-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
Troy Archie

Profile:
Beef, salmon and sole are good alternatives. Honestly, it's not the food that your board with, it's how you prepare it. Try out a new recipe, add a couple different spices, cook the chicken in a paleo stew, there's so many options when it comes to cooking that I don't believe anyone can truly get board. That said I see you're not eating in the zone and when a meal consists solely of a peice of chicken and nuts then I'm sure it could.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
Jason Simpkins

Profile:

Zach,

Try free range bison, I buy it in a box of six frozen patties and they taste great. You should take it easy with the tuna and avoid bottom feeders as well, due to mercury and PCB contamination. I hope that with all that chicken you're eaten that it's organic free range. Check this out:

http://themeatrix.com/
Old 08-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
Brendan Melville

Profile:
You can pretty much make infinite dishes out of chicken. I get bored with eggs and oatmeal before I get bored with chicken. Try roasting a whole one, get thighs and make stew, make stirfry. It also helps to change what you eat it with (you HAVE to have it with veggies and stuff sometimes, don't be that restrictive with carbs...veggies are good for ya!).
Old 08-09-2005, 01:44 AM   #5
Pat Janes

Profile:

Tacking on the end of Brendan's post; you can also eat bucket loads of certain kinds of veges (the old favourites broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage for instance) without consuming all that many grams of carbs.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:07 AM   #6
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
I really like lamb. It's almost always grassfed and less medicated than beef. Flavoursome and can be cooked in a variety of ways, lamb stew, lamb kebabs on the barbecues, grilled lamb sutlets. Quiet a fatty meat but can be trimmed fairly lean.

Organ meats, liver and kidneys are IMHO very paleo, tasy if cooked properly and high in nutrients.

Turkey is a good alternative to chicken, slightly different taste and in the UK usually cheaper.

Leam pork especially if free range adds more variety. Game meats, venison, ostritch, game birds while not cheap can make a nice special treat.

Remember there is no reason to just eat plain tuna and dry grilled chicken.

Chicken kebabs. Skewer chicken, aubergine and red pepper. Marinade in olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and salt and rosemary. 10 minutes to prep, marinade for as long as possible, grill in 15 minutes.

Another easy one, saute some onions until starting to brown, add chicken breast, chopped garlic and rosemary. Once chicken is sealed add a cup of chicken stock, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Serve with cauliflower mash and mixed veg.

Thai green curry. Mix some Thai green curry paste and a little oil in a hot pan. Add chopped and coat and seal. Add a mixture of courgettes, spring onion, green pepper, mangetout any green veggie you want that slices thin. Stir fry quickly. Add one can of cocnut milk and simmer for 15 minutes. At the end of cooking add some diced bamboo shoot if you have it and a little Thai fish sauce. This is higher in fat than the other 2 but very tasty.

Ger
Old 08-09-2005, 06:51 AM   #7
Troy Archie

Profile:
Get yourself the performance menu from Crossfit NorCal, it's got some great recipes and has given myself a whole ton of ideas for food preparation.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #8
Pat Janes

Profile:

With you all the way on the lamb, Ger.

I had lamb last night, fryed up in olive oil with some sliced onion, mushrooms and baby spinach leaves. Then sprinkled some fetta over the top and served with salad. Best meal I've had in ages, easy to prepare.

Used really lean lamb steaks; not cheap, but not too expensive.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:57 PM   #9
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
If you where in OZ i would say GO kangaroo.I know they do export it as well. It its one of if not the leanest meats, with the hightest protein and iron. Stinks when its raw(don't eat it like that) but its soooo nice cooked. You can cook it almost any way from it steaks to stews and mince. You just have to get over that fact your eatting skippy , but hay its true paleo
Old 08-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #10
Zach Nikka

Profile:

alright guys thanks for the ideas...im trying out beef right now...ive got another question though....it says the beef is 85% lean but ive always thought beef was kind of fatty...can anyone explain for me please?