CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #1451
Paul Victor French

Profile:
Re: 2012 Open, Regional and Games thread

I personally think rugby players would need less time in the sport of crossfit to be competitive than nfl players would.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #1452
Charles Golden

Profile:

Someone sort of hinted at this but while top NFL guys may post impressive single rep maxs, I don't think they train the muscle endurance it would take to perform 30 C&J's or 45 heavy DL's. It's just a different sort of training. Granted some of those guys might be able to develop that if given a period of months but I'm just saying Troy P couldn't walk off the football field and be competitive without several months of serious preparation.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 07-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #1453
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Davenport View Post
They're both far too big. Crossfit is a small man's game.
I'm not sure where you draw the line between big and small, but:

Matt Chan - 5'10", 208#
Jason Khalipa - 5'9" 210#
Graham Holmberg - 5'11" 190#
Marcus Hendren - 5'10" 202#
Chad Mackay - 6'00" 225#

Even Froning, now twice a winner, isn't exactly small at 5'10" 195#.

- Mark
Old 07-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #1454
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Golden View Post
Someone sort of hinted at this but while top NFL guys may post impressive single rep maxs, I don't think they train the muscle endurance it would take to perform 30 C&J's or 45 heavy DL's. It's just a different sort of training. Granted some of those guys might be able to develop that if given a period of months but I'm just saying Troy P couldn't walk off the football field and be competitive without several months of serious preparation.
Crossfit Football's programming has plenty of strength endurance work. John Welbourn is probably not the only person to notice that strength endurance is useful for the sport: even if NFLers aren't doing his workouts, they probably train that mode in some form.

Katherine
Old 07-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #1455
Thomas Davenport

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I'm not sure where you draw the line between big and small, but:

Matt Chan - 5'10", 208#
Jason Khalipa - 5'9" 210#
Graham Holmberg - 5'11" 190#
Marcus Hendren - 5'10" 202#
Chad Mackay - 6'00" 225#

Even Froning, now twice a winner, isn't exactly small at 5'10" 195#.

- Mark
5'10" is anything but tall. Chad Mackay is the only person you listed who might be considered tall.

The biggest guy to ever podium was Hackenbruck at 6'1", 195#. Even then, he is much smaller (height and weight) than both Tebow (6'3", 236#) and Vernon Davis (6'3" 250#), and has said he needed to be a lot lighter than his football playing weight to be competitive in Crossfit.

The only guy out there who is somewhat tall is Aja Barto. His athlete profile lists him at 6'5", but he's said in interviews he's only 6'4".

Every other elite crossfitter is 6'0" or under. The tallest winner? Holmberg at 5'11".

Crossfit is a small man's game. No two ways about it.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #1456
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Quote:
5'10" is anything but tall. Chad Mackay is the only person you listed who might be considered tall.

The biggest guy to ever podium was Hackenbruck at 6'1", 195#. Even then, he is much smaller (height and weight) than both Tebow (6'3", 236#) and Vernon Davis (6'3" 250#), and has said he needed to be a lot lighter than his football playing weight to be competitive in Crossfit.

The only guy out there who is somewhat tall is Aja Barto. His athlete profile lists him at 6'5", but he's said in interviews he's only 6'4".

Every other elite crossfitter is 6'0" or under. The tallest winner? Holmberg at 5'11".

Crossfit is a small man's game. No two ways about it.
Still don't really agree.

If you are comparing crossfitters to nfl players which you just did then duh of course they are going to be smaller. But think about allllll the other sports where the athletes would be smaller than some of the competitive crossfitters, ya can't just compare it to the nfl if you are going to claim that it's a small man's game.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #1457
Thomas Davenport

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Victor French View Post
Still don't really agree.

If you are comparing crossfitters to nfl players which you just did then duh of course they are going to be smaller. But think about allllll the other sports where the athletes would be smaller than some of the competitive crossfitters, ya can't just compare it to the nfl if you are going to claim that it's a small man's game.
The original quote was in response to someone who suggested that Tebow and Davis would dominate a Crossfit competition. I said they are too big and that Crossfit is a smaller man's competition. He then wrote that it is not, citing several competitors, none of whom exceed 6'0" in height. The competitive crossfitters, as a group, are shorter than any other major U.S. professional sport, including tennis, hockey and baseball. Yes, you'll be able to identify excellent athletes in all those sports who are under 6'0". But, across the board, their average height exceeds 6'0". The average height of the top 10 this year, under 5'10".
Old 07-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #1458
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
I said they are too big and that Crossfit is a smaller man's competition.
Then why is everyone seemingly getting bigger? As weights go up, their is more emphasis on just putting on some pure size. Holmberg did it, Spealler did it. Sure we aren't talking about NFL Linebacker big, but those are freaks. Are you telling me that Spealler doesn't have the skills and the heart/mental capacity to win if not at least place on the podium EVERY single year...

He doesn't for one simple reason. Not because they are all so much better. They are all BIGGER. He is the small man out there. We aren't talking about height which is all you seem to be considering. That's like saying the NFL is a smaller man's competition if Shaq was being considered for "trying it out".

Last I checked, even if you are under 6ft tall, when you have people with very little body fat sitting around 200lbs, that isn't small. 200 lbs of muscle is big. It isn't Brian Shaw big and it isn't 6'6" 250lb Joe Flacco as a QB big but you can't prove your point by using like 1% of the population.

It isn't a small man's game any more. Stuff is to heavy. Small people excel in 10k runs and bodyweight moves. The runs are few and far between at that distance and the bodyweight stuff doesn't hold as much water to me anymore. If you are strong enough, you can hold your own on a muscle-up workout. Look at Chan and Khalipa.

Think about it. If Crossfit is a small mans game then why are competitors trying to get stronger, faster and better and many even thinking about getting a bit bigger. I haven't found anyone yet say -"man, to be competitive next year I need to get smaller". Err on the side of bigger and just run more

Last edited by Richard Colon : 07-20-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #1459
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
The original quote was in response to someone who suggested that Tebow and Davis would dominate a Crossfit competition. I said they are too big and that Crossfit is a smaller man's competition. He then wrote that it is not, citing several competitors, none of whom exceed 6'0" in height. The competitive crossfitters, as a group, are shorter than any other major U.S. professional sport, including tennis, hockey and baseball. Yes, you'll be able to identify excellent athletes in all those sports who are under 6'0". But, across the board, their average height exceeds 6'0". The average height of the top 10 this year, under 5'10".
One explanation is that Crossfit favors smaller people.

But another is that Crossfit attracts the genetically gifted people who weren't big enough to succeed in other sports. That is, the big people who are genetically gifted enough to be top Crossfitters aren't interested because they're in the NFL already.

Kaherine
Old 07-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #1460
Thomas Davenport

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
Then why is everyone seemingly getting bigger? As weights go up, their is more emphasis on just putting on some pure size. Holmberg did it, Spealler did it. Sure we aren't talking about NFL Linebacker big, but those are freaks. Are you telling me that Spealler doesn't have the skills and the heart/mental capacity to win if not at least place on the podium EVERY single year...

He doesn't for one simple reason. Not because they are all so much better. They are all BIGGER. He is the small man out there. We aren't talking about height which is all you seem to be considering. That's like saying the NFL is a smaller man's competition if Shaq was being considered for "trying it out".

Last I checked, even if you are under 6ft tall, when you have people with very little body fat sitting around 200lbs, that isn't small. 200 lbs of muscle is big. It isn't Brian Shaw big and it isn't 6'6" 250lb Joe Flacco as a QB big but you can't prove your point by using like 1% of the population.

It isn't a small man's game any more. Stuff is to heavy. Small people excel in 10k runs and bodyweight moves. The runs are few and far between at that distance and the bodyweight stuff doesn't hold as much water to me anymore. If you are strong enough, you can hold your own on a muscle-up workout. Look at Chan and Khalipa.

Think about it. If Crossfit is a small mans game then why are competitors trying to get stronger, faster and better and many even thinking about getting a bit bigger. I haven't found anyone yet say -"man, to be competitive next year I need to get smaller". Err on the side of bigger and just run more
Khalip is 5'9" tall. Chan is 5'10" tall. Stout? Sure. Anything but large.

Are the athletes trying to get stronger? Of course. All things being equal, it is always better to be stronger.

But you are not seeing larger athletes show up.

"Fitness" is not size dependent. Because Crossfit biases toward shorter, stockier guys, it does not measure "fitness" accurately.

Except for basketball, elite athletes in all the other major sports are spread across the range of 5'10" to 6'4", with some outliers above and below that range. Elite crossfitters, on the other hand, are 5'7" to 5'11" with some outliers below (e.g., Spealler) and above (e.g., Hendel) that range.

The top 10 at the Games this year: 5'5" (Malleolo), 5'7" (Bailey), 5'8" (Kasperbauer), 5'9" (Khalipa and Panchik), 5'10" (Froning, Chan, Hendren), 5'11" (Holmberg) and 6'0" (Mackay). Avg: 5'9.1"

Last edited by Thomas Davenport : 07-20-2012 at 02:53 PM.