CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #1421
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: 2012 Open, Regional and Games thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Cf met cons were too heavily weighted in a CF competition?

At some point you have to remember that that's what it is. I completely agree with you about the monostructural events but at some point you have to test their ability to Crossfit with Crossfit.
No kidding.
Even if the "new" fans who are watching the replays of the Games on ESPN 2 don't "get it" -- meaning the workouts themselves, like Fran, Isabel, Elizabeth, etc. -- the spectators in the stands, who've paid big bucks to be there, sure as hell do.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #1422
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Binek View Post
Froning is definitely on another level right now, however there are two people that really stuck out to me this weekend.

Scott Panchik and Marcus Hendren. Both were first timers to the Games, Marcus did his first competition in January of this year. He only CrossFits 4 days a week, and by his own admission hasn't started taking is seriously 'yet'. He is already far stronger than Rich is, and has a world to go with technique. He got 2nd or 3rd in the Clean Ladder and Power Cleaned all of them. Had the events been heavier and more 'brute strength' oriented, than all the cutesy stuff they did, I think Marcus would be on the podium. We also saw him at Cheesecake Factory Sunday night and he said "I felt totally fresh after the final event today" - Scary thought. (he is 23)

Panchik has the most insane motor of anyone I've ever seen. He has a little strength to build, but moves well and has solid technique on most things. He was very well rounded, and I am excited to see what he is capable of. 161 burpees still blows my freaking mind. If he can focus on maintaining that motor and put ~30lbs on his lifts he is essentially Rich. Plus, much like Rich he was top 5 his first year competing, with a poor showing in the O-Course (stupidest event worth 100pts IMO). Without that event he would be very close to Chan in scoring.

I think Bridges and Mikko are getting on the 'old' end of the spectrum whereas Marcus and Scott are 23 and 24. Look for them to give Rich some competition in years to come. Best part?? They are both Central East, so we get to see it at Regionals, and the Games.
Not sure how you've reached that conclusion.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #1423
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
I think Bridges and Mikko are getting on the 'old' end of the spectrum whereas Marcus and Scott are 23 and 24
Somewhere Matt Chan is reading this and cashing his 2nd place check at 34 years old...

Old 07-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #1424
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
I think Bridges and Mikko are getting on the 'old' end of the spectrum whereas Marcus and Scott are 23 and 24. Look for them to give Rich some competition in years to come. Best part?? They are both Central East, so we get to see it at Regionals, and the Games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner View Post
Somewhere Matt Chan is reading this and cashing his 2nd place check at 34 years old...

Agreed; If they compete next year, Mikko will be 34 and Josh will only be 28. Mikko is questionable though. It would seem he's hit that magical wall that we all run into in our 30's, where injuries become more frequent and it takes longer to recover. If he's healthy, he'll be in the mix. Josh, on the other hand, is still in his prime. As long as his service requirements will allow him to participate, he should be back in the hunt next year.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #1425
Charles Golden

Profile:

Has there been any word on Ben Smith's performance? Injury? Fatigue?

I thought he'd make a serious run for the top spot this year.

Also are there any other Games' athletes who are not affiliated with a gym? Seems like it would take so much more personal drive and determination to push yourself through workouts when it's just you and your buddies, as opposed to a serious training parter and/or coach.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 07-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #1426
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Cf met cons were too heavily weighted in a CF competition?

At some point you have to remember that that's what it is. I completely agree with you about the monostructural events but at some point you have to test their ability to Crossfit with Crossfit.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a CrossFit competition testing CF workouts, but they aren't claiming that the winner is the "best CrossFitter" or similar. They say he/she is the "fittest on earth." If they want anyone outside of CF to take that kind of claim seriously then other kinds of events need to have a big impact on outcome. That's how I see it at least, which is why I made my comment, and overall I'm extremely happy with the events because it moved a LOT more in that direction than last year.

Breakdown this year:
CF style events: 800 pts (that includes double banger, which I could because of double unders)
Other style events: 550
Old 07-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #1427
Bryon Faduck

Profile:

Does anyone have a link to the 7 to 10's commercial... I tried Youtube but couldn't find it. I though it was clever... got a good laugh.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #1428
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon Faduck View Post
Does anyone have a link to the 7 to 10's commercial... I tried Youtube but couldn't find it. I though it was clever... got a good laugh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4wuG...layer_embedded (WFS except language in comments)
Old 07-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #1429
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
Agreed; If they compete next year, Mikko will be 34 and Josh will only be 28. Mikko is questionable though. It would seem he's hit that magical wall that we all run into in our 30's, where injuries become more frequent and it takes longer to recover. If he's healthy, he'll be in the mix. Josh, on the other hand, is still in his prime. As long as his service requirements will allow him to participate, he should be back in the hunt next year.
Mikko has missed two games, One though a ruptured ear drum which sure has nothing to do with age and he missed this year with a knee injury. Dont count him out yet though. HQ seems to like putting in a longer WOD and this will play right into Mikkos hands.

I could not agree more with you about Josh Bridges. I believe he is the only man on this planet who could have beat Rich this weekend. I believe he is the only man who can beat Rich next year as well. It is Rich number one then a considerable distance then number two without Josh.

BTW I like the idea of a shooting event. But nowhere near as much as Josh Bridges likes the idea
Old 07-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #1430
David Lane

Profile:

This is just an observation but Fronin scored lower on "real world" events than on "working out" events...