CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-30-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
David Strand

Profile:
Co-ordination in Crossfit?

Hey all, was wondering if you could shed some light on something I was wondering about: aren't balance and coordination important to General Physical Preparedness? I rarely if ever see much work devoted specifically to these skills. And yes, I would understand the argument that the various lifts and exercises involved in Crossfit would qualify as a way of working one's balance and coordination, and perhaps that is all that the powers that be at Crossfit feel is necessary. If that's the case, tell me! I just wanted to see if this would perhaps create discussion and let me see some opinions.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Co-ordination in CrossFit?

I can't balance in pistols, yet. Have the strength but can't stay balanced over my foot.

Watching me do double unders could be used as the definition of uncoordinated. So when I get it worked out I will have become more coordinated.

I guess part of it is your starting reference point. Mine is real low.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Co-ordination in Crossfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Strand View Post
Hey all, was wondering if you could shed some light on something I was wondering about: aren't balance and coordination important to General Physical Preparedness? I rarely if ever see much work devoted specifically to these skills. And yes, I would understand the argument that the various lifts and exercises involved in Crossfit would qualify as a way of working one's balance and coordination, and perhaps that is all that the powers that be at Crossfit feel is necessary. If that's the case, tell me! I just wanted to see if this would perhaps create discussion and let me see some opinions.
Yes, the various Crossfit exercises do promote balance and coordination to some degree.

Whether that is sufficient depends on your goals. For general fitness, probably fine. For specialized demands, you would want to modify your training to match those demands.

Katherine
Old 07-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

For coordination, that's why you'll see handstand work or animal walks thrown into workouts.

Really though they are a skill and need to be treated as such.

You know how kids get coordinated? They play a lot. The kids that play a lot get to be for the most part, the best coordinated besides the genetics freaks who just have superior coordination and balance that is above part. Still, it's due to "time-in" on their part.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
David Strand

Profile:

Cool, makes sense.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:07 AM   #6
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Double-unders, box jumps, pistol squats, handstand work and burpee bar jumps... All of these address those 2 physical skills to some degree.