CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
Karl Steeves

Profile:
Donating Plasma

I am wondering if anyone would have any information on the effects of working out immediately following plasma donating. Is there a "fatigue" period after donating, or will I feel my strength kind of deteriorate if I lift heavy after donating?

I've given plasma before a few years ago and I never felt tired or hungry afterwards, but I also never worked out later that evening, so I'm just wondering if I'd be hurting myself by doing so, or if I'd be fine.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Allen Tluczek

Profile:
Re: Donating Plasma

Right afterwords? I'd suggest against it, but I don't know specifically about working out after donating plasma. I used to do a lot of drinking right after donating, and it would hit me much harder/faster. I'd imagine fatigue would do the same.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Tom Gerhard

Profile:

I donate blood fairly regularly and haven't experienced any ill effects when doing a wod or a hard bike ride a couple of hours afterward.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Michael Jarossy

Profile:

Probably varies from perosn to person. The last time I donated, I did the double-red-blood-cell thing where they pump you full of saline. I was fine for a couple hours, but I crashed hard that night. I wouldn't have made it through a workout. =)
Old 12-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
Adam Carlson

Profile:

nightmare story from one of the times that I donated blood:

they told me to 'not lift heavy things' for about 24 hours after I donated blood. The blood donations were at my school's annual 'thrift shop', and I was helping lots of people move things. Something must have gone wrong, since I had the largest bruise in the world turn up on my arm over the next few days and it was NOT comfortable trying to bike or do any kind of workout. The bruise ran from mid-forearm to mid-bicep. Not fun.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

I have worked out after donating blood (about 8 hours after) and although I got tired pretty quickly, I made it through. I don't know that I would do heavy deadlifts after, but a short metcon or some light strength work wouldn't be too bad.