CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
Max Chianese

Profile:
Training "Ma dude"...

I just started training this 15 year old who's name I can't pronounce but it sounds like "Ma Dude".So he is overweight, cannot lift, and doesn't know much about fitness (obviously). I put him through his first WOD today which was
3 rounds
45lb bench press 15 reps
20 box squats
it was difficult for him but he did each exercise in 2 sets (10,5, 10,10)
He agreed that it was hard and he want me to keep training him.
I'm trying to make him lose weight, and gain muscle, but as a 17 year old who was introduced to Crossfit almost a year ago I'd feel more comfortable getting some advice from smarter people than myself.
Tomorrow I'm going to have him do

5 rounds
either (Power/hang)cleans or deadlift. 10 reps (sub 100lbs)
step ups (2+feet) 20 reps0
squats/box squats (depending on skill) 10 reps
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Max Chianese : 11-18-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Re: Training "Ma dude"...

Take it slower. Think how slow you should go, then cut that in half.
Focus on the basic strength lifts and some single domain work...walking running biking. Then ease into met cons that require skills (after you have taught skills)
My two cents
Old 11-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
Take it slower. Think how slow you should go, then cut that in half.
Focus on the basic strength lifts and some single domain work...walking running biking. Then ease into met cons that require skills (after you have taught skills)
My two cents
Agreed! You really don't want to hurt this kid, You are somehow protected? I mean your 17 if you hurt this kid, his parents might sue your parent...or you! You certified to teach what you are doing or have a waiver that his parent signed? I don't mean to be a stick in the mud. Just saying.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

There are plenty of "on ramp" or "ramp up" programs out there for those starting out in CF, use it.

If his main goals are to lose weight, then your priority should be dialing in his diet.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Max Chianese

Profile:

Well its all free. I'm trying to help this kid, I ask if he's hurting, stars, dehydrated.
He hasn't unlocked any strength yet, doing SS I think would take forever.
Thanks for the advice Tim I'm thinking 1st and 3rd day are strength lifts and learning form. 2nd day is a metcon.
I'm not going to baby this kid by working one domain, the kid prior to me, worked out for like three hours, then he ate.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Chianese View Post
Well its all free. I'm trying to help this kid, I ask if he's hurting, stars, dehydrated.
He hasn't unlocked any strength yet, doing SS I think would take forever.
Thanks for the advice Tim I'm thinking 1st and 3rd day are strength lifts and learning form. 2nd day is a metcon.
I'm not going to baby this kid by working one domain, the kid prior to me, worked out for like three hours, then he ate.
You're not babying him, you're setting him up for long-term success. The whole point of Crossfit is that a workout doesn't have to be long to be brutally effective.

I second the suggestion that you follow one of the published on-ramp programs. It wouldn't hurt to download CFHQ's coaching materials, either.

Katherine
Old 11-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
Michal Hobbs

Profile:

I think everyone appreciates your willingness to help Max, but I would be cautious in how you approach intensity starting out, especially at fifteen having been completely sedentary before.

Eric is right that you've got to walk with him slowly until he gets to a place where he outgrows the basics. Where is he at with squats, pull-ups, push-ups, sprinting etc.?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Rather than grinding out reps in metcons, I would start by doing slow sets to develop muscular endurance first.

In other words, rather than having him do 3 rounds of 15 BP/ 20 BJ for time, instead have him complete 4 sets of 10 bench press with adequate rest in between. And then have him do 5 sets of 5 box jumps with adequate rest. Something like that.

Having someone do circuits/metcons for time without actually being familiar with the movement could cause injury. While their muscles may be physically able to handle it, their joints and ligaments may not be ready for intensity. One slip up with muscular fatigue and they could tear something. Slow, controlled reps will build up the necessary joint and tissue strength.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

I don't want to steal this thread, but if I train someone and they get hurt, am I responsible?

I have no certs and what not (other than Redcross Lifeguard and CPR).

My plan when training people was to keep the weights low (or body weight), so I could try and kill them to see if they want to continue. I do this because people like my the results I have from my training, they then ask me to train them. I try to scare them with my torn legs and hand (despite the care I give them), then by the volume I do (not for them).

Haven't gotten anyone in the gym with me yet, but I planned on destroying them with burpees and squats (light). Is this a bad idea (legally) for me? I am not trying to convert people, so I am brutally honest

If they stick to it, I scale but first day is a test

Last edited by Aidan Macdonald : 11-18-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #10
Craig Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
I don't want to steal this thread, but if I train someone and they get hurt, am I responsible?

I have no certs and what not (other than Redcross Lifeguard and CPR).

My plan when training people was to keep the weights low (or body weight), so I could try and kill them to see if they want to continue. I do this because people like my the results I have from my training, they then ask me to train them. I try to scare them with my torn legs and hand (despite the care I give them), then by the volume I do (not for them).

Haven't gotten anyone in the gym with me yet, but I planned on destroying them with burpees and squats (light). Is this a bad idea (legally) for me? I am not trying to convert people, so I am brutally honest

If they stick to it, I scale but first day is a test
Are you responsible - Yes.
If you are training him and he gets hurt you can be responsible. In fact I would say that a lawyer for the injured party would have an easier time proving you are at fault since you are not a licensed / certified trainer.