CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Ben Moore

Profile:
Strongman and Powerlifter wanting to get back into athletic shape

Yeah, you've heard it before...guy starts powerlifting or strongman in decent shape. Hears all the "eat more and get big" mantras out there. Gets stronger than hell but pays the price in the midsection.

I've got the strength part down (1695 raw total at 275, loaded a 425 stone and strict oh pressed 290) but the running and conditioning part will take some time until I can get some of this fluff off.

I'm here. Started a couple days ago and I'm humbled. I've got a complete home gym that I will be scaling down to just the stuff I need and I've got a lot to learn. I'm looking forward to it!

Here's a pic of the gym:

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/w...1_340891_n.jpg

Last edited by Ben Moore : 10-01-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Ben Moore

Profile:
Re: Strongman and Powerlifter wanting to get back into athletic shape

Forgot the goals!

1. Get back under 240lbs. I'm at 290 right now.
2. Run a decently timed 5k with my wife. She's an avid runner. I've got no idea what a decent time for a 5k would be so any help is appreciated.
3. Continue to add strength in the main lifts and become more proficient in the olympic lifts. Ideally I'd like to hit a 225lb snatch and a 300lb squat clean and jerk.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Nice numbers, and nice gym!
You need to focus on one thing at a time. As you probably know, with a strength base like yours, it will be almost impossible to lose weight and improve your endurance while getting stronger. You can keep all, or most of your strength while doing the other two though. Without knowing your current condition/abilities it would be hard to pin down a good 5k number for you. It takes me around 30 mins at a pretty slow jog (something I'm working on myself), with no walking. Following Crossfit mainpage will greatly help you out on that part of it. As you build metcon endurance, your run will naturally follow.
On the o-lifts, ideally you should find a coach/lifting club to get your technique down. And on losing bodyfat, that's a diet issue. The nutrition board is full of great advice. Good luck bro.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Ben Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Nice numbers, and nice gym!
You need to focus on one thing at a time. As you probably know, with a strength base like yours, it will be almost impossible to lose weight and improve your endurance while getting stronger. You can keep all, or most of your strength while doing the other two though. Without knowing your current condition/abilities it would be hard to pin down a good 5k number for you. It takes me around 30 mins at a pretty slow jog (something I'm working on myself), with no walking. Following Crossfit mainpage will greatly help you out on that part of it. As you build metcon endurance, your run will naturally follow.
On the o-lifts, ideally you should find a coach/lifting club to get your technique down. And on losing bodyfat, that's a diet issue. The nutrition board is full of great advice. Good luck bro.
Hey thanks for the notes - I'm familiar with Marshfield. Went to school Springfield.

I've got some strongman friends that have come out of olympic lifting and I plan on getting with them and an affiliate to help out there.

I agree - I need to focus. First and foremost are diet and conditioning. And I've been following the mainpage as well as an affiliate locally that posts thier wod.

As for the 5K - it's a long road ahead, haha.

Thanks again!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
Jason Peacock

Profile:

You have probably already done this, but it's worth reading up on Dave Tate - he's done the get big/get small thing a few times and has some good experience to share.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Ben Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
You have probably already done this, but it's worth reading up on Dave Tate - he's done the get big/get small thing a few times and has some good experience to share.
Thanks Jason - I have read most of Dave's stuff. He's definitely done his time in the diet arena.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Albert Chang

Profile:

I don't think there's anything wrong with "having a midsection." I personally think Dave Tate looks better when he's bigger than when he's smaller. That being said, it would probably be harder to reach a 5k time you want without losing it.

Awesome gym! Wish I had a tire like that.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

Yeah, clean up the diet (people around here like Paleo, but there is a lot of personal preference and tailoring), lose some weight, but don't do any crazy bodybuilder cutting routines. Those are not tailored for performance.

How tall are you? I wouldn't recommend too much running until you get a little lighter, though some big guys around here disagree, saying that you just need to ease into it.

For now I'd just keep hitting the WoDs like you have been, with a cleaner diet. Maybe add in a couple of lifts a week, or a running session, but nothing to crazy until you have eased into things and started figuring out out how much of a work load you can support. Once you get in the swing of things you could explore CrossFit Endurance, to focus on the running more, or something like CrossFit Football, or CrossFit strength bias to keep up your strength more.

Good luck, have fun, and be sure to keep us posted on how things go! Glad to have you as part of the community!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Chang View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with "having a midsection." I personally think Dave Tate looks better when he's bigger than when he's smaller. That being said, it would probably be harder to reach a 5k time you want without losing it.

Awesome gym! Wish I had a tire like that.
Go to pubmed and do a search on "visceral abominal fat." The results looks something like this:

Abdominal Visceral Fat Thickness Measured by Ultrasonography Predicts the Presence and Severity of Coronary Artery Disease.

There's a ton of medical evidence telling you exactly what's wrong with "having a midsection." And while many powerlifters have a big belly some of the top names competing right now are very lean.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #10
David Meverden

Profile:

How big a midsection are we talking? And what is necessary to get rid of it? I'd wager that a fit individual with a healthy diet who effortlessly maintains 15-20% body fat would be at a lower risk of mortality than someone regularly putting themselves through intense cutting routines to try to get into single digit body fat.