CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 02-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
Erin Arno

Profile:
Spring Break: KONA

Hey guys, it is T-minus 4 days until I leave for Kona for a week of spring break. I am super excited to get somewhere warm and being outside/swimming/playing on the beach/eating fruit/etc.

This will be my first time there. Any recommendations? Best activities, best beaches, best trails, best foods, best restaurants, etc. Any advice would be great. We're staying in a time share in town. I know I want to rent a bike so I can go back and forth to get fresh food everyday. I will be eating at least 10 pounds of fruit and fish everyday, and that's all there is to it.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 02-23-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
William Jackson

Profile:
Re: Spring Break: KONA

If you go to the volcano park, make sure you take time to go off the beaten trail and see the flowing lava (if it is flowing at all).
Unless there is something specifically in Hilo you want to see, you can save a bunch of time just avoiding it. i wasnt too impressed.
Also be careful, my surgeon on oahu said that the big island only has one surgeon and sometimes in emergencies or bad accidents, they have to fly surgeons from oahu which could take a long time.
Wear sunscreen
Old 02-23-2010, 02:58 AM   #3
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

Take an afternoon to get to the top of Mauna Loa or Mauna Kea since you'll be on the Big Island. You'll get to play in snow while on vacation in Hawaii.

Watch out for all the lava rock while hiking, the stuff is very sharp and unforgiving......and don't even think of bringing any of it back with you, very bad luck.
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Briggs Willoughby

Profile:

Hit Costco, 5 miles south of the airport,as your first stop after landing. EVERYTHING is signifigantly cheaper there.

If you have kids, A-Bay is a great beach. If not then Hapuna is a good bet, with lots of good waves, even if it is a bit crowded.

Doing the drive out to see the lava flow is a long day, it's pretty cool, but is very crowded. If your time is short, I would skip it. If you have the money and want to see the lava, taking a boat is a way better way to go.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Steinbarger View Post
Take an afternoon to get to the top of Mauna Loa or Mauna Kea since you'll be on the Big Island. You'll get to play in snow while on vacation in Hawaii.

Watch out for all the lava rock while hiking, the stuff is very sharp and unforgiving......and don't even think of bringing any of it back with you, very bad luck.
+1 to this. My wife and I went to the top of Mauna Kea on our honeymoon and it was awesome. We had a cloudy day, but I hear its the best stargazing spot in the Western Hemisphere.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
+1 to this. My wife and I went to the top of Mauna Kea on our honeymoon and it was awesome. We had a cloudy day, but I hear its the best stargazing spot in the Western Hemisphere.

Yeah, the stars up there seem like they are right on top of you.
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

I was stationed on Oahu for 3 years and we would go to the Big Island 2-3 times a year for training. Never got to vacation there, but did make the trip up to Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea in a Humvee. Its the best stargazing spot I've seen, your above the clouds. Also Volcanic park is cool, and don't take any rocks Pele will curse you, enjoy

Drive carefully on Saddle road

Last edited by Pete Nadeau : 02-23-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Erin Arno

Profile:

Thanks everyone! It's getting more and more exciting with everyday (and as the temperature dips below zero again...)
Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
John Rolfe

Profile:

spelling is going to be wrong but go to the Waiapea Valley. Wander around and look at waterfalls. absolutly amazing. This was the best part of the trip for me and the wife.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
Erin Arno

Profile:

T-minus 36 hours to departure!

You have no idea how excited my roommates got when I told them there was a Costco nearby. Like do a little dance, clap your hands excited.

As for me, I am excited about renting a bike and peddling around town. Hopefully with a little basket in front so I can go get fish for breakfast!