CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Justin Green

Profile:
Stretching?

I guess I am not stretching well enough because 5-6 hours after yesterdays WOD I went to soccer practice and totally strained something in my quad. It is not that bad today but what does everyone do for stretching? How long? Any injuries? Also does anybody have any good links to watch videos or read about this subject within the journal or without?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:
Re: Stretching?

Yoga is great for developing "functional flexibility". I also like a book by Jay Blahnik called Full Body Flexibility.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Green View Post
I guess I am not stretching well enough because 5-6 hours after yesterdays WOD I went to soccer practice and totally strained something in my quad. It is not that bad today but what does everyone do for stretching? How long? Any injuries? Also does anybody have any good links to watch videos or read about this subject within the journal or without?
Look through Kelly Starrett's videos in the CFJ. He has some good diagnostics on quad flexibility among others.

My rule of thumb is use stretching for normal ROM only...the problem with yoga is that it has the potential to create some laxities/hypermobilities...IMO.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Green View Post
Stretching is not the best way to warm up for any practice or workout. A better approach is to warm up by jogging (or jumping rope, etc), for several minutes and then performing a number of dynamic stretches. Do a search on Google or Yahoo for "dynamic stretch soccer" (without the quote marks) and you'll get some links with different coaches' recommended dynamic stretches. If you do perform static stretches (which is what most people think of when they think of stretching), do it after practice when you are thoroughly warmed up. Stretching when you are stiff and cold is counterproductive and more likely to cause injuries than prevent them.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
Justin Green

Profile:

Thanks everyone. Hey Rachel I ordered that book on Amazon the description looked really cool and Jose I'll check that out on the web. Thanks again. Justin
Old 06-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Justin Green

Profile:

And Rene I watch those videos with a new found interest now that I have experience some slight injury due to that ****. Thanks
Old 06-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

Good deal! Hope it works for you. I do yoga, but I rely on that book for cool-down stretching routines. I do the ones in the back, whichever corresponds to the sport I'm cooling down from.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Beth Leonard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose M. Perez View Post
Stretching is not the best way to warm up for any practice or workout. A better approach is to warm up by jogging (or jumping rope, etc), for several minutes and then performing a number of dynamic stretches. Do a search on Google or Yahoo for "dynamic stretch soccer" (without the quote marks) and you'll get some links with different coaches' recommended dynamic stretches. If you do perform static stretches (which is what most people think of when they think of stretching), do it after practice when you are thoroughly warmed up. Stretching when you are stiff and cold is counterproductive and more likely to cause injuries than prevent them.

jose,
you state stretching when you're stiff and cold is more likely to cause injury.... sometimes after i've slept all night my legs feel really tight and it's almost hard to walk for a few mins so i'll lay on the floor and do a few hip flexor stretches. Are you telling me this is bad? what would you/could you recommend? it doesn't happen all the time but enough
Old 07-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth J Leon View Post
jose,
you state stretching when you're stiff and cold is more likely to cause injury.... sometimes after i've slept all night my legs feel really tight and it's almost hard to walk for a few mins so i'll lay on the floor and do a few hip flexor stretches. Are you telling me this is bad? what would you/could you recommend? it doesn't happen all the time but enough
I tend to be very tight and find it easier to stretch after a workout. If you are using dynamic stretches for your hip flexors, it should not be a problem, but I would highly recommend doing something like jogging, running in place, jumping jacks, 5 - 10 minutes on an exercise bike or anything else that gets the blood flowing throughout the body.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #10
Sean Murray

Profile:

Here's a couple of great yoga stretches that I'll use post workout for hip flexor & quads

http://www.fitsugar.com/1648168

http://www.fitsugar.com/1626823