CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-28-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Stu Selden

Profile:
When, if ever, does it get easier?

Ok, so I've been doing CF at a box by me for 3 weeks now and have only managed to get 4 workouts in during that time. The workouts just leave me so sore that I can barely walk for the next 4-5 days after them. How long will it take my body to adapt and get better at recovery so I can workout more than once a week? Should I just suck it up and workout anyway despite not being recovered and still pretty sore?
Old 12-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: When, if ever, does it get easier?

It'll get better...don't worry. Just don't try too much too soon. First few weeks try it 2x...then move up to 3 for 2 or 3 weeks and move up from there. Eat well and drink a lot of water.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

Stu, you may need to consider some more scaling if you are that sore after one workout. Let your trainer know how you are feeling and they should help you. Soreness is to be expected and you do get used to it after a while, but if it is so bad that you can't do another workout for a week then you are doing too much. Scale the weight and reps back as needed. Good luck and stick with it.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Selden View Post
Ok, so I've been doing CF at a box by me for 3 weeks now and have only managed to get 4 workouts in during that time. The workouts just leave me so sore that I can barely walk for the next 4-5 days after them. How long will it take my body to adapt and get better at recovery so I can workout more than once a week? Should I just suck it up and workout anyway despite not being recovered and still pretty sore?
Two pieces of advice for you, from lots of experience:

1) This is the most important... when you are just starting, or just starting back, it's going to suck. A lot. CF is all about maximum intensity, but don't try to crank it up to 10 from the first workout. For the first 1-2 weeks, you really are better off at an intensity level of 7-8. you've got the rest of your life to work up to 9-10.

2) Cases of rhabdo excluded, no matter how sore you are, you're better off continuing to work out then trying to rest your way through recovery. I do NOT mean go back and attack the next WOD like a maniac, I mean go back and do a "recovery" workout... this might mean even lower intensity, like 5-6 level. The first 1-2 minutes will be agony, but after that it'll just feel like any workout, and when you're done and you've streched, you'll feel a lot better then when you started.

When you are getting started, the above might mean you only get 1-2 "intense" workouts a week and the rest are "recovery," but that's ok... over time your body will adapt and you'll be able to recover more quickly.

Again, this is a lifelong journey, not a sprint. Even if you take 3 months or 6 months or 2 years to get to the point where you can hit the WOD hard 4-5 days a week it doesn't matter. progress should be slow, steady, and unstoppable, like a freight train, not fast and brief like a dragster.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Also, if your affiliate does not have foam rollers, look into getting one of those. They can be found at sporting good stores. Personally I use "The Stick" (google it). Both help with recovery. I also echo the sentiment that just because you feel all stiff and sore, do not take that as a sign that you need to just do 100 couch potatoes for time. If nothing else, go for a walk/run or go and do a WOD at lighter intensity or just a warm up routine of push ups, pull ups, sit ups, hip extensions, etc... a couple of times through.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
Stu Selden

Profile:

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
John Tuitele

Profile:

Quote:
Fundamental, right up there with intensity, variety, and functional movement is modification and scaling. If you can't walk for 4 to 5 days after every workout, you're probably going after it too impatiently. Ease into it turbo. Rule of thumb is that the DOMS should ease up after couple of days. Having said that, there is an underlying consistent level of muscle soreness and episodic "ohmygosh I overdid it again" that is part of the terrain - but steady stream of incapacitated ain't the same thing.

I've heard a pretty smart guy tell the crowd that it took time to get out of shape and it makes sense to give yourself time to get into shape. Goes by the name of Glassman.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Agreed on much of the above.

1) Scale appropriately
2) DON'T start in on the 5/2 or 3/1 workout/rest days protocol right away. I started out going every other day, and I had been training fairly regularly prior to CF.
3) Rest. A lot.
4) Watch your diet. Protein. Veggies. Water. Limit alcohol or eliminate it.
5) FWIW, for myself and most people I talk to after the first 4-6 weeks, it gets easier psychologically.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Make sure you are scaling appropriately. Stretch and foam roll as needed. Make sure you are getting enough sleep. Your body will adjust. Three weeks is not long in the grand scheme of things.

That said, I feel like I was run over by a truck today. I'm on a 3-1 schedule, and today was day 3. I had had back squats and my first Rx'd Grace on Saturday, a 5K on Sunday, and a pullup-ball slam-KB thuster WOD today. Some weeks, I barely notice being sore. This is not one of those weeks.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
Tony Black

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
This is not one of those weeks.
Prolly all the booze and partying Tamara

I think it does get easier at a certain point - not metabolically (that actually gets worse) but your mind becomes "acclimatized" to the discomfort and realizes "hey ive been here before and i aint actually going to die here".

Also i suspect that taxing your body enough to give onset of DOMS repeatedly per week makes your mechanism better and more efficient at recovery....

Of course the trick is activate the recovery systems but to not go so far that your basically incapacitated for 3-4 days!

Remember to hydrate and take on protein before and after exercise....