CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-03-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
Manuel Ruiz

Profile:
Hello people. I have a question on deadlifts. I tend to hit the knees on the way down. From what I can remember I'm fine coming up. Just when I come down I hit the top of thigh/knee area. It's not on every lift and it's something I can live with(as long as we don't do these everyday). But I am concerned with proper form being affected. What am I doing wrong??
Old 03-03-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Exercises...
Old 03-03-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
Mike Ryan

Profile:
A lot of people complain about hiting their shins. I am with you Manuel, I often hit my knee on the way down. I am no expert on deadlifts, but I try to reverse the motion on the way down. When you lift, the last thing to happen is the straighteing of the back and the shrug of the shoulders. So, on the way down, I bend slightly at the waist first to get the correct angle and then let the bar down with my legs, trying to stay on the heels. If I do this, I miss the knees. I am not sure this is technically correct, but it works for me

I am sure others will have good advice to offer that both of us can use.

Mike.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:27 PM   #4
chris muscarella

Profile:

Many people hit their knees when they try to let the bar down too slowly. The deadlift negative is a controlled drop. The reason you don't lower it slowly is that it pulls you forward and can be murder on your back at heavy poundages. The line of pull in a deadlift is not directly up, but actually at a slight angle backwards. Reversing this leaves the knees vulnerable.

Try just sitting back and letting the weight fall and hopefully that will fix the problem. Try with reasonably light weights first. The controlled drop is the reason that many gyms are not deadlift friendly, it does make a bit of noise.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:15 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Chris, when doing reps with DLs for time, as with todays WOD, it takes too much time to reset your grip after every rep, so I think most people are just lowering the bar.

When I do clean pulls, I do the same thing, lower the bar between reps and drop it on the last one.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:11 PM   #6
Eric Moffit

Profile:
Manuel-
speaking strictly from personal experience, i hit my knees and scrape my shins on DLs because i have weak glutes and hamstrings (might as well throw weak lumbar in there, too) in addition to poor hamstring flexibility. these things combine to make my strongest lifting movement consist of a major bend in my ankles with my knees ending up way out over or beyond my toes. bc of this mess of a form, im committing to perfect squat form. lots of BW exercises...lots of slow and steady until i start using my body parts how i ought to.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:36 PM   #7
chris muscarella

Profile:

Virginia, the o-lifts are an actual drop where you let go around hip height.

When I say a 'controlled drop,' I mean that you let the deadlift down very quickly but you do not have to let go of the bar. Think of it more as, let the bar take care of itself, and squat. Then get ready to reset quickly. Once you get proficient, you can reset very quickly.

A controlled drop should take no more than a second or two. In contrast, a controlled negative (such as some-one performing a (gasp!) bicep curl might take anywhere from 2 to 5 seconds.

The controlled drop becomes more of a drop as the weights get heavier. If I am doing less than 225 for reps, I don't really have to worry too much about the weight until I am on round 2-3. I can hold on for the negative and it isn't much of a strain. Though I still make sure to sit back and isn't a 'pump-building' negative. If I am doing sets of 5 with 325, it is a different story. I have to let the weight go. And I have to do a more detailed reset on each rep.

Just my $.02
Old 03-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #8
Jay Ashman

Profile:
I scrape my shins on deads. Everybody who does deads the right way does. You should not be hitting your knees at all, on the ascent or the drop...

Try the controlled drop and not lowering it slow. It will prevent the knee shots.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
Albert Clayton

Profile:
I scrape my shins on dls also. I think I read somewhere that you are suppose to keep the bar close to your body on the way up and down. Anyway no cute ankle socks for me.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:58 PM   #10
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Gotcha Chris. That's what I do on deads and Pulls.

Yes, Albert, you should be keeping it close, scraping the shins.