CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-31-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
David Feuer

Profile:
When does it get easier???

Coming into crossfit Im 29 5'9 205 and have a 325 bp, 340 bs, 475 dl, c+j 225, yet for some reason my times on the wods suck. my cardio is not the greatest but it certainly is there. recent times on fran is 7:51, freddys revenge 7:24, dl burpee workout around 9 mins and grace at around 9 mins as well.

Now I have not done these workouts more then 2-3 times each and just thought I would have better times. I love the workouts and I love the feeling of exhaustion. Im not a trainer and do not live in the gym, am I wrong to look at the videos and see times of 2-3 min frans and 2 min grace and feel like a sad sack.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
Rick Kolberg

Profile:
Re: When does it get easier???

Nah man you're not alone, but my opinion is that this is not about OUR times....it's about YOUR times. Ya know? I watched a video clip about "Broad, General, Inclusive" from the website, and the guy was lecturing about guys who have good lifting totals, but do poorly because they focus too much on the "lifting" and not the fitness "specializing in not specializing in anything" was a quote from that i think...I dunno man, I too am not a doc. or any type of trainer. I do know that as long as you push through the workout, and as you say are exhausted. That's the goal. The times will decend, and you'll not feel that way about your totals. That's just what i think.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Mark Cheney

Profile:

To answer the original question: The only easy day is yesterday (or a rest day)

OR

If it starts getting easy, you're not working hard enough. :stir:
Old 05-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Jason David

Profile:

Never gets easier. In fact. when you cut your Fran time in half it will feel as if it was harder.

Don't feel like a sad sack - a lot of people are just working up to being able to do them period.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

If it ever gets easier it is only because you are slacking.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Omar Omar

Profile:

crossfit never gets easier. only you become faster.

If you add some endurance work along with the wods you will become faster at all workouts. That might have some affect on your powerlifts.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

David, I am just starting and am no where near being able to do the WODs yet. But, I am trying to stay focused on improving my time on each of the skills I am practicing. And, I watch the demos for inspiration. That keeps me pushing hard all the time. When I started in April, I could only do 10 squats before I had to rest. Last week, I finally got 50 squats without resting, but I felt so slow. My trainer timed me and said I was at 2:02 for 50 squats...nothing else! Ack! But, then he said, "well, now you will never want to walk in here and do 50 squats in more than that time." And, it was so true. I knew I could do 50 in 2:02 because I had already done it. I walked in the gym today with no trainer to spur me on and knocked out 50 squats in 1:47. Yeah, I know I could feel like a sad sack compared to what other people are doing, but I really felt "whoohoo!"
Old 05-31-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Crossfit never gets easier. Everything else does.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
Joshua Refenes

Profile:

As I was once told my my coach and father, "Nothing worth doing/having ever comes easy."
Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 PM   #10
Richard Foote

Profile:

I've been doing CF for a month now, and I see the crazy fast times every day...the elite postings that make you say "wtf?! are you serious?" - you know what I'm talking about.

It's all about being better than yourself last time, in my opinion. We're not all gonna be Jeremy Thiel or Eva T in the gym, but we can all push to be better than our past WODs. If you're improving, and fighting off pukie or seeing stars after a heavy set, you're doing something right.

Just keep getting after it. You'll get better times, and you'll get better at life across the board, no matter what you're doing...and that's what CF is really all about.