CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Alex Bromley

Profile:
Strongman new to crossfit

ive been actively competing in strongman as <105kilo amateur for about three years now. Involvment in the sport has resulted in huge strength gains, as well as crossover potential to powerlifting, oly weightlifting, and highland games. Recently, however, my big downfall has been conditioning and fat gain. The last plateau breakthrough i had shot my weight up 20 lbs so that now i have to cut weight to make the 231lb cut off before contest. I started the cfsb program (since it resembles how i train heavy lifts anyways) and im looking for some short heavy metcons to complement it. Im coming in with an elite crossfit total, but my conditioning is anything but. Ideally i would lean up and improve my conditioning while at the very least maintaining strength. Any advice on programming, eating, or if im even on the right track would be much appreciated.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Matthew Klein

Profile:
Re: Strongman new to CrossFit

I think it would be a good idea to gradually start including heavy metcons into your program. Start with one a week, then to two, and then to, at the most, three or four. The metcons will definitely give your metabolism a boost, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot of quick fat loss, especially because of the amount of calories you're going to have to intake to maintain your size and strength.

Another option would be to run pre- or post-workout a few days a week. It won't take away from your strength lifting, and it'll get your metabolism rolling a little quicker.

My two cents.