CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:
Who does everything RX'ed daily?

Hi,

I tried to find any previous post on this, but with no luck.

How many people follow the CFHQ WOD's as RX'ed and maintain the pattern of 3 on-1 off?

How many scale down (via BrandX or their own creativity) and maintain the 3-1 pattern?

Who does whatever workout (RX'ed, scaled, something totally different than what the CFHQ has - like from an affiliate, or something they made-up themselves) on whatever days suit their weekly schedule?

Do you do any kinds of sports regularly (specify sport/s please)? What is your weekly schedule like when you're doing CrossFit and training for your specific sport?

Thanks,

-Jon
Old 01-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: Who does everything RX'ed daily?

I scale down via BrandX and do 3/1. I also do 1 hr gymnastics once a week and a 2hr martial arts once a week (seem to wind up skipping that a lot tho).
Old 01-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Brad Thompson

Profile:

I do rx'd when I am able and scaled as needed. I also try to follow the 3 - 1 pattern but often need another day of rest or have to play catch-up. Some people choose to do the rx'd 3 -1 a day behind so they can better plan. I prefer to stay surprised (when the previously mentioned situations don't cause me to get behind.)
Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Richard Gonzalez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Yoon View Post
Hi,

I tried to find any previous post on this, but with no luck.

How many people follow the CFHQ WOD's as RX'ed and maintain the pattern of 3 on-1 off?

How many scale down (via BrandX or their own creativity) and maintain the 3-1 pattern?

Who does whatever workout (RX'ed, scaled, something totally different than what the CFHQ has - like from an affiliate, or something they made-up themselves) on whatever days suit their weekly schedule?

Do you do any kinds of sports regularly (specify sport/s please)? What is your weekly schedule like when you're doing CrossFit and training for your specific sport?

Thanks,

-Jon
Jon,

I try my hardest to follow 3-1 ratio, usually from the HQ WoD. My programming skills will have to be put to a test another day, as I trust the Crossfit main site programming. My rest day is usually "active rest" where I focus on skill work. Other days, my rest is just that.

I almost do everything as recommended. Sometimes I suck, sometimes I'm tired, sometimes I haven't acquired the skill, and sometimes I don't have the equipment. I'll scale based on the "nature of the workout". Some workouts work best in a set time period (Fran for example... 2-4 minutes.. scale up or down appropriately to reach this). When I do scale because I suck, I usually go to Brand X. Sometimes I'll mix and match their scales to fit my needs.

Often, on Strength Days, I usually find myself with more gas in the tank. I've been Crossfitting for sometime now, so I can afford to rest, then hit a WOD. I'll usually create some sort of heavy metcon, a hard couple, or triplet. Sometimes I will surf the Crossfit Archives for a workout from the past, sometimes I will do an "oldie but goodie", and sometimes I'll surf to other sites and try something new.

My general rules: I don't cry if I miss a workout. Depending on the workout, I may make it up the next day, or just carry on to the next workout. I don't scale the hero workouts, I'll do them as recommended, sometimes very slowly. Sometimes I warm-up, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I stretch afterwards, most of the time I don't. Most of the time I will spend 10-30 minutes on skill work after the WOD.

I don't play any sports. My job is somewhat physical.

Hopefully this gives you at least one perspective of a random crossfitter.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gonzalez View Post
Jon,

I try my hardest to follow 3-1 ratio, usually from the HQ WoD. My programming skills will have to be put to a test another day, as I trust the Crossfit main site programming. My rest day is usually "active rest" where I focus on skill work. Other days, my rest is just that.

I almost do everything as recommended. Sometimes I suck, sometimes I'm tired, sometimes I haven't acquired the skill, and sometimes I don't have the equipment. I'll scale based on the "nature of the workout". Some workouts work best in a set time period (Fran for example... 2-4 minutes.. scale up or down appropriately to reach this). When I do scale because I suck, I usually go to Brand X. Sometimes I'll mix and match their scales to fit my needs.

Often, on Strength Days, I usually find myself with more gas in the tank. I've been Crossfitting for sometime now, so I can afford to rest, then hit a WOD. I'll usually create some sort of heavy metcon, a hard couple, or triplet. Sometimes I will surf the Crossfit Archives for a workout from the past, sometimes I will do an "oldie but goodie", and sometimes I'll surf to other sites and try something new.

My general rules: I don't cry if I miss a workout. Depending on the workout, I may make it up the next day, or just carry on to the next workout. I don't scale the hero workouts, I'll do them as recommended, sometimes very slowly. Sometimes I warm-up, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I stretch afterwards, most of the time I don't. Most of the time I will spend 10-30 minutes on skill work after the WOD.

I don't play any sports. My job is somewhat physical.

Hopefully this gives you at least one perspective of a random crossfitter.
I think you've got the "widely varied" part down brother!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Slater Coe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Yoon View Post
I do every workout (including the CF Warmup) as prescribed and follow the 3-day-on, 1-day-off routine... if my schedule makes it difficult to hit the gym on one of the "on days", I simply skip it. I don't try to make it up... I just pick up with the next day's routine. Dave Castro just spoke about programming in the video posted 090105.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Laura Kurth

Profile:

there was a time I could do NOTHING rx'd besides like, run 5k or something haha.

these days I can occasionally do rx'd. It's a good feeling.

I am a long way away from doing everything rx'd every day... but enjoying the journey!

As for sports - I will be spending almost every saturday & sunday for the next 4 months snowboarding (badly) and therefore will only work out probably 3-4 days per week to accomodate.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

I do a 3-on, 1-off, 2-on, 1-off MEBB hybrid, where I trail the mainpage by a week (to allow me to intelligently move things around so my MEBB efforts don't conflict too much with the mainpage stuff) and program more squats and DLs (typ. along with a supplementary lift). It's usually 3 days of ME lifting per two weeks, so I miss one or two WODs a week (although I'll sometimes allow something like Diane to take the place of my ME DL day). Once I achieve some specific strength goals, I'll probably transition to following the WOD as close as possible on my same 3-1-2-1 schedule, where I'll only (plan to) miss one WOD every four weeks. I had a notion of hitting the CA WOD come spring, but now that I've signed up for the Games qualifiers, that seems like it might be bad timing.

The workouts are typically Rx'd, except for a few skills that I haven't got dialed in enough (MUs, snatches). The strength-specific work has definitely helped in that respect.

I usually do 10-15 minutes of skill work (e.g., handstands, light oly lift drills, squat therapy) in conjunction with a warmup, focusing on form corrections while my muscles are still fresh. My warmup will usually include a quick row, some dynamic range-of-motion work, and if that and the skill work isn't enough warmup for what I have planned, something like the CFWU or a KB sequence.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Yea Patrick, but you are a special case!!

For me it is Main page 3/1 as rxed with a little scaling.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
Patrick Janes

Profile:

not even close right now; I'm currently SS'ing with the odd heavy (for me) met-con and twice weekly bjj.

that said, I would not currently be capable of following *every* WOD as rx'd; I was, in a previous life able to do so, for almost everything, with the notable exception of WODs like "grace", or worse, "isabel"; the prescribed weight is close to my BW, so 30 reps C&J would have taken me forever, and 30 reps snatch was just not possible.

so... current plan is to get strong, with the hope that when I shift focus from strength to overall fitness (read WOD) I'll be (more) capable of tackling the heavier days as rx'd.