CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-31-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:
Best book on stretching?

I need to improve my knowledge on post workout stretching routines, for myself, and for clients. Anyone have a book that is the equivalent of starting strength but for stretching? Any insight would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-31-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Best book on stretching?

Pavel's book and dvd's on stretching were pretty good. Check out stadion.com as well.

Sommer is coming out with one as it has started the photography but I wouldn't expect it till fall 09 at earliest if not the end of 09.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
David Marshall

Profile:

Another vote for Kurz

www.stadion.com (WFS - 'one stop shopping' for flexibility training)
Old 12-31-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

Ordered scientific stretching from that feller, and thought id give greg everetts olympic lifting book a shot too
Old 12-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:

This isn't a book, but it's a little vid I put together for a short post wod stretching routine. I plan to do some more of these. I'd appreciate some feedback.

w/f/s
http://crossfitvirtuosity.com/blogs/...63-yoga-basics
Old 12-31-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Nice, Keith. She has pretty good shoulder flexibility and a decent bridge.

Go, pelvis thrusts. JK* I just like to laugh at these since I was at a gym and they had all the girls do lots of these on a swiss ball and it was a staple in their conditioning besides a lot of other isolation stuff. I'm all for doing a shoulder bridge before head bridge and hand bridge when on my own.

That was pretty much the basics stretches one could use. I like the plow as well or shoulderstand so long as it's taught progressively.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Wittenstein View Post
This isn't a book, but it's a little vid I put together for a short post wod stretching routine. I plan to do some more of these. I'd appreciate some feedback.

w/f/s
http://crossfitvirtuosity.com/blogs/...63-yoga-basics
Nice video, but I have one question. For the Samson-esque stretch, shouldn't her upper body be vertical? I could see a lot of people, people with lower back pain or without a lot of mobility in the lower back, having problems with that hyperlordosis. Especially since their hip flexors are pulling on their lumbar curve.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Nice video, but I have one question. For the Samson-esque stretch, shouldn't her upper body be vertical? I could see a lot of people, people with lower back pain or without a lot of mobility in the lower back, having problems with that hyperlordosis. Especially since their hip flexors are pulling on their lumbar curve.
I don't see why her torso should be vertical. The lunge/samson stretch is a hip flexor stretch so you want:
1) the hip forward of the knee that is on the floor;
2) the pelvis to be tipped posteriorly such that the tailbone is pulled down and the hip bones (ASIS) are pulled up; and
3) the spine to be extended.

I agree that lower back injury is to be avoided but a vertical torso in and of itself will not prevent that. When stretching the hip flexors, look at the line from the front of the knee to the bottom of the rib cage. We want to take that angle to at least 180 in inflexible people and slightly more in flexible people. We also want to maintain a stable spine and avoid the hyperlordosis that you are talking about. If you look in the video I believe that is achieved although I will watch again to make sure. Look at the angles of the hip, lower back and upper back. She's doing a good hip extension with a good upper back extension as well. Her lower back is staying long strong.

It's a very basic hip flexor stretch but it is still a stretch and you simply aren't stretching much by staying vertical. I have taught that stretch for 6 years to 1000s of people (not bragging, just saying I've taught a ton of yoga in NYC where there are a lot of people that do yoga) and haven't had complaints about lower back pain from it...except from people that do it wrong. ANYTHING done wrong is gonna mess you up. Period.

Love to see a picture of how you do it and we can discuss details better.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Wittenstein View Post
I don't see why her torso should be vertical. The lunge/samson stretch is a hip flexor stretch so you want:
1) the hip forward of the knee that is on the floor;
2) the pelvis to be tipped posteriorly such that the tailbone is pulled down and the hip bones (ASIS) are pulled up; and
3) the spine to be extended.

I agree that lower back injury is to be avoided but a vertical torso in and of itself will not prevent that. When stretching the hip flexors, look at the line from the front of the knee to the bottom of the rib cage. We want to take that angle to at least 180 in inflexible people and slightly more in flexible people. We also want to maintain a stable spine and avoid the hyperlordosis that you are talking about. If you look in the video I believe that is achieved although I will watch again to make sure. Look at the angles of the hip, lower back and upper back. She's doing a good hip extension with a good upper back extension as well. Her lower back is staying long strong.

It's a very basic hip flexor stretch but it is still a stretch and you simply aren't stretching much by staying vertical. I have taught that stretch for 6 years to 1000s of people (not bragging, just saying I've taught a ton of yoga in NYC where there are a lot of people that do yoga) and haven't had complaints about lower back pain from it...except from people that do it wrong. ANYTHING done wrong is gonna mess you up. Period.

Love to see a picture of how you do it and we can discuss details better.
Actually, I just did the stretch as you described and as shown in the video. I didn't experience lower back pain, even though my lower back is pretty messed up right now.

I do have one complaint though. The lack of flexibility in the hip flexors causes a pull on the spine, which causes greater lordosis. The stretch could be done with a lot less range of motion in the lunge and an upright torso with the abs tightened to counteract the pull of the hip flexors.

Basically, the lower back is compensating for a lack of hip flexor flexibility. It's the same as with the bottom of the squat for people who lack hamstring flexibility. The lower back rounds to compensate for a lack of hamstring flexibility.

I think this analogy might work. The hip flexor stretch you showed is similar to using the rounded back toe touch to stretch the hamstrings. The lower back's flexion assists when the hamstrings can no longer lengthen. With the hip flexor stretch you described, the lower back extends when the hip flexors can no longer lengthen.

All in all, I think the stretch is fine, but I'm just being picky.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Yet another vote for Kurz.

The Bob Anderson book is decent for static stretches, but only Kurz has good info on dynamic stretching and how to put together a stretching routine and incorporate it into your workout plan, which is the crucial point.

Regards,

Christian