CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-25-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
Oleg Zhoglo

Profile:
Snacks throughout the day?

My goal is weight/strength gain (I'm currently doing a SS/CF routine)- I don't really follow the Zone but consider my diet to be pretty healthy. My question is about those in between meal snacks. Currently I am a student, so with the time limitations I have 3 meals a day with snacks in between, this is what I typically eat throughout the day (I cook for myself so there is not too much variety ):

-6 am-Breakfast- (a mix of peanut butter/yogurt/cottage cheese/granola

-8:30am-Post-workout snack- peanut butter sandwich with a banana

-10:30am- In between class snack- 21 almonds and a handful of raisins and dried apricots (is this a good snack? the nuts provide fat and protein, raisins and apricots are the carbs)

-1pm lunch- 2 days a week this is soup with a chicken sandwich the rest of the time it is a side of carbs like pasta, buckwheat or potatoes with chicken or beef and some veggies and fruit

-3pm- snack chicken sandwich

-7pm dinner- same thing as lunch except a different side of carbs and a different meat with veggies and fruit

-9/10pm pre bed meal- usually ice cream (sometimes with peanut butter), when there is no ice cream it is a chicken breast with some veggies

so on a typical day I eat 2-3 sandwiches, that seems like too many carbs (4-6 slices of bread in addition to the lunch and dinner carbs I already take in) through out the day- can anyone suggest something other than sandwiches (I'd hate to just each a chicken breast without anything else)?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Re: Snacks throughout the day?

Focus more on lean protein sources such as meat, seafood and poultry and rely less on incomplete protein sources such as nuts and granola. If you're comparing your diet to the average person or average American, I would agree that its "pretty healthy." However, from a quick glance it looks like it needs some work.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

That is alot of carbs. Depending on the kind of bread you use, each slice is anywhere from 15-20 grams of carbs. Not to mention that bread is not a good source of carbs, it lacks nutrients your body needs and will make you hungry quicker as opposed to eating fruits and vegetables. You've got to learn how to eat just chicken with some fruit or vegetables and a fat source. Also, peanut butter has hydrogenated oil, do a search on that for more info as to why you shouldn't be eating alot of it. I would get some almond/cashew/macademia butter, much better source of fat despite the higer price.

Many people on these forums find that they both perform and feel better on a high fat, moderate protein, and low carb life-style. Moderate in the sense of eating at least as much protein as your LBM requires, preferrably a little more. Eating this way will also minimize the fat you gain while gaining weight/strength. This just makes it easier to go back to doing more metcons because your times will not suffer as much and you will be able to get back to normal times (for yourself) much quicker.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Oleg Zhoglo

Profile:

I'm up for eating a chicken breast as a snack- what would be a good fat source? Also, it would have to be something that I can eat cold and out of a sandwhich bag (because it would be in my backpack and I'd eat it between classes at the uni).

As for the peanut butter- I buy only natural/organic peanut butter with no trans fat- should I still worry about hydrogenated oil?
Old 10-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Good fat sources are nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, macademia nuts, all unsalted and not roasted), olive oil, avocado, and nut butters (there are more I just forget them). Myself, along with a good amount of people here, also favor using butter, lard, the skin of meats (such as chicken), the drippings on bacon, duck fat (thank you Jay). If Jay saw this question he would have a load of sources for you. When gaining weight/strength is the focus, the type of fat source doesn't matter as much. You can eat butter or chicken skin and still do great (worked for me when trying to gain some strength). For weight loss, I would stick with the choics in that I mentioned first.

As far as organic/natural peanut butter, it is a step up from the normal kind, but even they can have hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil. Check the label to make sure. I just like to stick with nut butters because, besides from tasting amazing, the natural/organic kind can still have hydrogenated oil despite not mentioning it on the label.