CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 09-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Scott Moore.

Profile:
Scott's Log aka "The Panthers Den"

What's up everyone? Been reading about crossfit for a couple of months now ever since first reading about it in muscle and fitness magazine. I've done a couple of the WODs on my own and they've always whooped me. Finally got the courage to go to an actual crossfit gym and see what was up.

Background: I've always been the skinny kid. Athletic but skinny. I ran track throughout highschool and the beginning of college. After college I joined the Army and spent 3 years on active duty as an officer. I switched to the Reserves 3 years ago. Unfortunately in those past three years my eating and exercise habits have been doing south. I'm not fat per se but I am overweight I suppose you could call me "skinny-fat" if that makes any sense.

A few months ago I took up Muay Thai kickboxing as a way to get in shape. I would go for two hours a day three days a week. I enjoyed it at first but the beatings soon took it's toll on me mentally. Then one sparring session I made a mental mistake and wound up twisting my knee really badly. I've taken alot of time off but I'm not sure if I'm ready to go back to that mentally. In the meantime I decided to improve my strength and stamina so that if I do decide to go back to Muay Thai, I would be in much better shape.

Day 1: I stepped into Crossfit Atlanta yesterday not quite sure what to expect. I was greeted by Mike had me fill out the nessecary waiver form and quickly set me to work. It was refereshing not to get assaulted by a sales pitch. Here's what he had me do.

Warm-Up
500m Row
10 squats
10 push-ups
10 sit-ups
10 pull-ups

I can't recall how many rounds of the exercises I did. I think it was 2 or 3. I was surprsied beause I felt pretty good after the warm-up. After a 5 min break I was given my workout.

3 rounds of
250m Row
15 wall-balls
10 push-ups
10 pull-ups (with assistance bands)

Time: 10:40 and some change. I don't remember the exact time. I do remember being pretty wiped when I got done. Not collapsing on the ground, but definately had to sit down for a minute. My legs feel like sandbags and my upper back, shoulders and arms are sore as well. I still find it hard to believe that in just 10 mins I could do so much.

I'll be going back today after I get off work.

Sorry for the long drawn out post...thanks for reading!
Old 09-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Scott Moore.

Profile:
Re: Scott's Log aka "The Panthers Den"

Today's Workout:

Warm-up

Workout:
"Helen"
3 rounds of
400m run
21 kettle ball swings (16kg)
15 pull-ups (assisted)

Time: 18:05
Old 09-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Helen is a fun one. The first round seems easy. Then you start that 2nd 400m run, and you realize, "Oh man, this is HARD."

Keep it up. In a few months from now you'll be doing Helen faster, with heavier weights and un-assisted pull-ups.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Appreciate the support Justin. Nice to see another musician on here (I play bass guitar). Like you said, I started off on the first 400m and felt good and then I hit the second one and I could barely maintain a slow jog. It's all good though, it gives me something to strive for next time.

Sat, Sun, Mon - Off

I know I shouldn't take that much time off but I was pretty whupped after last week. I've got a PT test coming up so I can't destroy myself too much.

Today
Morning Workout:
25 min bike
3 x 6 pull-ups
3 x 10 dips

Tuesday and thursday I usually do two workouts, one in the morning and one after work. In the mornings I usually do an easy cardio workout to get the blood flowing and relieve any soreness I may have. The gym in my building just got a nautlis pull-up/dip machine so I threw in a couple sets of assisted pull-ups and dips. Pull-ups are my weakest exercise thus far so any chance I get to work them I will.

I'm going to do Angie on my own tonight as I don't have the cash for the drop-in rate (damn gas prices) and then I'll be hitting the crossfit gym the rest of the week.

Last edited by Scott Moore. : 09-23-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Warm-up:
2 rounds
10 pull-ups
10 dips
10 push ups
10 sit-ups
10 squats

Scaled Angie
50 pull-ups (assisted)
50 push-ups
50 sit-ups
50 squats
time: 13:52

Decided to do a scaled exercise due to time constraints. Still a damn good workout.
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 09-26-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
Scott Moore.

Profile:

I'm exceptionally frustrated with the way this week has gone. I'm posting about it here because it directly relates to my lack of CF and my lack of gym time. I'm also writing about it in hopes that it will calm me down.

Wednesday I had to take a short notice road trip to MS. Soldiers from my unit were deploying and they needed me out there to clear the post after they left. It was fine because I wanted to see them off and I got to do so. So basically I worked from 9-5, drove 5 hours to MS, stayed up until 2 am which is when they left.

Thursday I got up at 9am and ran around all day clearing the post. Not hard work mind you, just alot of driving around. I got back to my parents house in MS around 5pm and took a nap until about 7pm. Got up and left to come back to GA @ 8:30pm. I got a flat tire somewhere around 10:30. Yeah, it's not fun trying to change a tire out at nighttime without a flash light.

Got back into GA about 3:30 am, had to unpack the fully loaded van myself because someone else had to use it the next day. I considered it to be a mini-cf workout since it required some heavy lifting and lots of running back and forth from the van to the building. Finally got home about 5:30am and crashed about 6.

Today - I was going to go to the affiliate for the last session @ 8. I left my apt about 7:15 because it usually takes me about 30 mins to get down there. Unfortunately, because of Ike, we aren't getting many fuel shipments so at night many gas stations are shutting down. And because people by nature are foolish and pannickly...the lines for the gas station were backed up for miles on the main road. It took me atleast 20 mins to go halfway down the road to the highway. As a result there was no chance I could make it out to the affiliate for the last session. I ended up turning around and going home. It's my own fault, I should've planned to go to an earlier session or atleast left earlier figuring that there might be more traffic.

happens, I've just got to move on. Here's my plan for the rest of the week.

Saturday: WOD
4 rounds of
400m run
50 squats.

Sunday: Rest Day
Monday: CF Gym
Tuesday: CF Gym
Wednesday: CF Gym or Yoga
Thursday: Off or Yoga

The reason behind Wednesday's indecision is because next week I will be taking the APFT. But I'm not sure if I will be taking it on Friday or Saturday. If I take it on friday then I will use Wed for a light recovery yoga days. If I'm taking the test on Saturday morning then I'll do CF all three days and use thursday as a yoga day and take friday off.

I want to hit CF hard next week because it will get my confidence up and get me focused mentally. In the past I've taken the week off from working out prior to the test and I ended up being sluggish and mentally weakened. I know if I hit CF hard the first two or three days it will be a masive morale and confidence booster. I'll only need a day or two to recover from the soreness and ice everything down. But come test day I'll be ready to go.

After the APFT though my body will be fair game. I will go on the 3 day on / 1 day off plan and pushing myself harder then ever. I won't be taking time off like I've done in the past.

3...2...1...let's go!
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 09-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Sunday 28Sep08:

Warm-up (2 rounds)
5 min elliptical
10 lat pulldowns (90 lbs)
10 push-ups
10 crunches

Workout:
4 rounds of
400m run
50 squats

Time: 21:36

I did this at my complexes gym. I subbed pull-ups with lat pulldowns and I used the treadmill for the run.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Back Squat

5-5-5-5-5
70kg-80kg-85kg-90kg-100kg
Old 10-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Warm-Up
WOD

Nate
As many rounds as possible in 20 mins.
8 pull-ups
8 dips
20 sec handstand
8 KB swings (24 kgs...1.5pood?)

Rounds completed: 5

This is the first workout in a while where I was slightly dizzy when I got finished. Probably from the handstands.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Warm-up

500m Row
2 rounds of
10 oh squats
10 sit-ups
10 back ext
10 pull-ups

I worked on my muscle ups on the rings. I also did the back ext to try to get more strength in my back.

WOD
Clean and Jerk 95#
One rep per minute for as many minutes as you can.

4 rounds + 4 reps @ round 5

Afterwards I stripped the bar to about 45# and did a few more to work on my form.

It's been a good week of work. I take tommorrow off and then I've got my pt test on Saturday. I'm feeling pretty sore but my mind feels sharp. I'll post the results of my PT test this weekend.