CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Alistair Stevenson

Profile:
Low blood sugar problems

Hi,

I suffer from low blood sugar quite a lot, since training again I get it quite badly.

At the moment, I am eating quite clean and cut out a lot of the junk food, processed stuff, I eat small amounts of potatoes, pasta and rice...I eat lot's of chicken, fish, bit of steak, salad, veggies and fruit...I also eat a bit of dairy.

But does anyone have any idea how to prevent these annoying low blood sugar problems. It plummets really fast and I feel dizzy, nauseous (sp??), have trouble focusing, visually and with me ears (hahahah), and generally feel tired and crappy.

I went to the doctor but after a blood test nothing showed up...

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

a
Old 07-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Low blood sugar problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Stevenson View Post
Hi,

I suffer from low blood sugar quite a lot, since training again I get it quite badly.

At the moment, I am eating quite clean and cut out a lot of the junk food, processed stuff, I eat small amounts of potatoes, pasta and rice...I eat lot's of chicken, fish, bit of steak, salad, veggies and fruit...I also eat a bit of dairy.

But does anyone have any idea how to prevent these annoying low blood sugar problems. It plummets really fast and I feel dizzy, nauseous (sp??), have trouble focusing, visually and with me ears (hahahah), and generally feel tired and crappy.

I went to the doctor but after a blood test nothing showed up...

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

a
You did not mention consuming Fats. Post your eating to Fitday.com, look at your fat/protein/carb breakdown along with calories eaten. Answer should be obvious.

My guess, not enough fats, maybe low on cals and not sure about amount of carbs. How's your rest and sleep?
Old 07-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

Yes. My mother is a Type I diabetic, a nurse and diabetic educator. My parents have been eating Paleo for months now and she has first hand seen the effects of the Paleo diet as far as a diabetic goes. She is currently writing some scholarly article on more integration of the Paleo-type diet into diabetic nutritional guidelines, and is currently writing a menu for a diabetic education camp for child onset diabetics. This comes directly from her:

Stop eating potatoes, pasta, rice and other CRAP that has sugar in it. They make your body overload on insulin then leave your blood sugars crashed afterwards. Then you just start a vicious cycle between low and high blood sugars.

If you eat the rest of the stuff on your list your blood sugars will stabilize along with the insulin you are putting out and all will be well.

Thats the paraphrased version.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Alistair Stevenson

Profile:

I eat fats that are found in the foods mentioned.

I have been checked for diabetes and it's not that.

I think I might not eat enough. I eat a lot and often but maybe I need to eat more. - I'll look at fitday.com...thanks for that site, new to me.

Last edited by Alistair Stevenson : 07-23-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Alistair,
If you're only eating the fat found in your food, chances are you're not getting enough fat.

May not be getting enough calories either. Rice, potatoes etc. are negative inclusions for a high performance/healthy diet for a variety of reasons, aside from the effects they have on blood sugar.

Was the test only for diabetes?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
Jeff Evans

Profile:

One thing still isn't crystal clear... do you literally have low blood sugar (as in, physically had your blood tested) or just low energy levels? If the former you need to see a doctor. If the latter you need to start tweaking your diet, and start thinking in context of your whole metabolic picture (not just blood sugar levels).
Old 07-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
George Mounce

Profile:

I hope to heck you didn't discount my whole message just because you aren't a diabetic.

You are eating processed or easily digestible sugar and crashing.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:24 PM   #8
Alistair Stevenson

Profile:

No, no...I didn't discount the information. To be honest I eat rice about 1 a week and a very small amount, pasta about the same...rarely touch a potato, hate them, quite strange when I am English, with Irish blood, grew up in Cyprus and now live in Finland - l eat 2/3 every 6 months or less often.

Eating those things does not have a correlation to the times I have crashed heavily.

In all honestly I can not remember what the test's SPECIFICALLY tested. It was about 3 maybe, even 4 years ago.

I'll use fit day and see how many calories I am eating and then try that first...in case I am not eating enough. or theres a great inbalance.

What other fat sources would you suggest?

Last edited by Alistair Stevenson : 07-23-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:13 AM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Avocado
olive oil
nuts
coconut oil
take fish oil everyday
salmon
Old 07-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
Henry Miller

Profile:

I used to have the same problem. I find it is all about breakfast. Sugar cerial in the morning and I crash after lunch. Whole grains (oat meal), and I'm tired after lunch, but it is managable. Whole grains with a good dose of Olive oil and I'm good all day. Not the best zone breakfast, but it makes a difference.