CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-11-2008, 04:15 AM   #1
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:
Working Towards...

OK..I'm starting my log today. Seemed the best way to track my progress, keep me from slacking off (since I know Chantal, and Christin and Melissa and Tuck and anyone else is going to be helping me! )... and I called it working towards because I have a laundry list of stuff I want to be able to do.

The first one to nail - a real dead hang pull-up (chin over the bar for now) by July 30th.

The progress to date: Started in March w/ a gravitron machine and 10# assist body weight! Ha! Now I'm at #50 body weight. I couldn't pull w/ my back, now I can. Early May, I figured out how to pull w/ my back - umm..ok it just sort of happened..maybe my back figured out it was time to help the arms...either way, the back pitched in.

W/ lots of help and advice from Melissa and Chantal and several others, I started doing negatives, jumping pullups, mixing it up! Negatives were awful even last week (after that month long vacay! and almost 6 wks away from the gym). When I jumped up and held there for a second, I'd just drop like a sack of potatoes...couldn't control the drop down.

Today - The drop down was very controlled. Not once, but 3 times. Everytime, I could lower myself slowly. So, that's a baby step in the right direction.

And I'm going to find a door in the house that I can GTG and go that route.

19 days and counting!!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:
Re: Working Towards...

Started to GTG yesterday. I found a door and every time I went by it, I'm trying to pull myself up. I can only do the overhand grip on the door at home...so, that's what I'm practicing. Must have done about 5 or so yesterday. Did one already this morning. Plan to do some negatives at the gym tomorrow..so, want to go easy on the GTG this afternoon.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:19 AM   #3
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

Did the HSPU / L-pull up WOD. First time I did this WOD in March, had to sub for both HSPUs and L-pull ups. Today, I could do the HSPUs - ROM was only a few inches..so more to work on that. I'm adding that to my warm ups every day.

Pull ups - still working on it. Tried something new today. While doing negatives, as I started to drop a few inches, tried to pull myself back up. I managed to go back up once every time I tried to do negatives. So, adding that to GTG.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
Jennifer Ellington

Profile:

Sounds like the pullups may be coming back to you quickly, Anu!

Your avatar looks great!
Old 07-14-2008, 04:51 AM   #5
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

Hey Jennifer,

Thanks for your support and being the first one to share my work out log! I've never done a pull up ever in my life..so I'm really looking forward to getting my first dead hang. And seeing me do them whenever I can - even at the bathrooms at the club (they have the shower rods nailed to the walls!), my girls want to try them too. And that's a success as well.

Cheers!
Old 07-14-2008, 04:54 AM   #6
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

400m run and 50 squats....this is the very first CF workout I ever did - back in 2/21/08. Unfortunately, I didn't time it but it must have been quite long because after the first 400m and 50 squats, I had to walk the remaining 3 rounds of 400m and the squats were painful! I hadn't picked up on the BrandX scaled version yet then - though I doubt I'd have scaled this one. Anyway, after this WOD, I couldn't walk properly for 3 days because of the squats. I meant to go in early this morning to do this WOD, but after running around w/ the girls all day yesterday, I'm beat. So, either later today or tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Liana Mark

Profile:

Hey Anu, I recognized your name from the girl power thread, and I just wanted to say to the workout logs! A dead hang is one of my major goals too .. I'm up to a few really good jumping ones now. With the GTG work you're putting in, I'm sure you'll have a dead hang in no time
Old 07-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

Hi Liana,

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I post a lot on the Girl Power thread...it's a great community and the support there is INCREDIBLE!! What an awesome group of men and women.

I can't wait for the first dead hang. As Tuck said, small steps leads to big gains. Jumping PUs are great way to get started! Watch out for the PARTY when I get my first dead hang! Good luck w/ yours too!
Old 07-15-2008, 04:41 AM   #9
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

WU: stretch, 20 situps (anchored), 10 pushups (legs together, full ROM, thighs to the ground). Pullups - 4 jumping pullups. On the way down, took 5 counts to lower. Tried to pull myself over the bar after lowering myself for a bit..but found that my forearms were hurting after the first one. So, I stopped - don't want to hurt myself. Finished w/ HSPUs. Trying to get more ROM - right now, I can bend my elbows a little and push back up.

Note to self: When I started CF, I couldn't do strict pushups. Even if I tried to do 1, my hands would shake and I had bad BAD ROM...something like my HSPUs now. Even on my knees, the ROM though better, was no where near good form. Last week, I switched to full pushups in my WUs. And I could do 3 at first and then 5 two days later. Today I did 10 - which I've never done before..not w/ full ROM.

Today's WOD: 400m run + 25 squats. 4 rounds. Time: 21:42. This was my first WOD ever in CF back on 2.21.08. All runs were at 5.5 mph on the treadmill. All squats were in good form, below parallel and no winks! My legs are jelly now...but I'm happy!!

Now, just more to work towards...
Old 07-15-2008, 05:05 AM   #10
Christin Street

Profile:

Great! You've started a log, Anu!
You'll get there on the pull-ups. If I can, anyone can! One thing that's helped me tremendously has been this: Think of the Pull-up as a violent move. Explode up there...hard and fast!! Don't just try to muscle up there slowly from a dead-hang (that's what I was trying for weeks and weeks!). Get angry with it and power up there! Hope that helps.