CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-26-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
Alex McClung

Profile:
A planned week off plus an unusual work commitment led to a 5 week absence from any kind of fitness activity. Long hours, intense stress, and poor nutrition were the standard for those 5 weeks. The work commitment was completed and I came back to the gym, nervous about the long climb out of the hole. I spent the first week just doing the CFWU and getting to know the moves again. I found the climb was real, but not as steep or long as I had thought, and I began to wonder about the durability of fitness following a disruption. What experiences have other had, and what is the consensus regarding the durable effect ?
Old 03-26-2006, 07:58 AM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Depends a lot on the type of fitness. I've found maximal strenght tends to hang around, but endurance stuff leaves more quickly.

Another factor is diet. I pretty much stopped training while touring Europe but I lost a lot of weight during that trip so I maintained my relative strength.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
Dan Snyder

Profile:
For me, everything (strength, endurance, strength-endurance) at the very top end leaves about one-quarter to one-third as fast as I gained it. My work activities keep me reasonably fit and active so the loss is slower than it might be for some. Gains also come back reasonably quickly.

When I've been injured, it's much more likely to take longer due to the fact that I'm not a very patient patient (I seem to have to relearn this about once per year). Eugene's comments on other posts regarding using the time to hone skills will help this in the future though.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
Joe Miller

Profile:
Hmm.. I must be doing something wrong (diet?), because I find the exact opposite. Any gains I make disappear three times as fast as I gained them. Progress I slowly build up over six months will dissappear entirely in two (maybe less) if I stop working out.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Alex: I've been through almost exactly the same thing (work-related absence from training for 6 - 8 weeks) probably 4 or 5 times in the last few years (once it was 12 weeks).

Each time, I did pretty much what you did . . . start with just the CFWU, (Burgener, too, once I learned it) for a week. Each time, it took about 3-4 weeks to get back to "approximately" the same performance standard I was at before the layoff (consistently about half as long as I was off (although I'm not sure that would still work if the layoff were longer)).

Each time, I eventually went on to hit new all-time PRs before the next layoff. I bet you will, too.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
Alex McClung

Profile:
David,

I guess so. PR'd both overhead and front squats today by about 20# each. week 2 of the comeback in-progress.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Nice!!!! (and pretty quick, too . . . I bet you *needed* a layoff.)