CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Lindsey Forbes

Profile:
Unhappy Where are the results?!?!

Hey everyone!
I am extremely frustrated with the zone diet. I have decided that I must be doing something wrong if so many other people are seeing great results and I am not.
I have been on the zone diet for 2 1/2 weeks now and following it quite strictly. In the 2 1/2 weeks I have had 2 cheat meals which weren't over-the-top crazy. I have been doing 60 minute spin classes twice a week and doing the WOD. I am proud of myself in the sense that I have kept motivated but I am becoming annoyed.
I have not lost any weight whatsoever! I try to only weigh myself once a week and I expected some change, but I actually have maintained, if not gained a pound or so. Yes, I am feeling better (more energized), yes, my workouts are pretty good...so I am at a complete loss as to why why why!!!!!...nothing seems to be happening on the outside. How fast are you supposed to start seeing results? How dramatic should the results be? Are my blocks too high?

Here are some quick stats:
25 y/o female on 11 block meals

Any ideas, recommendations, whatever is welcomed. I am really bummed.

Thanks guys for your support!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Re: Where are the results?!?!

Lindsey, please list everything you have eaten in the last three days with approximate times. This will allow us to give you much more specific guidance. Also include your weight and if you have any measures of bodyfat include the result and the method used to obtain it.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
Tony Sutton

Profile:

Haha oh he beat me to the first part of my shpeal

but... 11 blocks is standard for women, you seem to maintain an active life, maybe more food is in order. I just thought of it as, your working harder then the food your supplying yourself so your body is more hesitant to burn fat. That or i just made all of that up. I don't know if you use it or not but zonediet.com has a guestimation of bock amounts for individuals based on a few perameters which should get you a ball park number on how much food you should be eating. But overall post what you ate and the responses will come pouring in!

PS: good luck on the zone! and zonediet.com resources are free to sign up!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Hi there Lindsey,

Others more zone inclined will be able to post some advices, meanwhile... How is your rest? Sleeping your 8h/night?

Rest is pretty important in anything related to health, mass building or fat burning.

Besides that since it has been 2 weeks already, perhaps try to lower your block to 10. Stay on the 10 blocks for at least another 2 week. Look at result. Still feeling good? energized and everything? If your training is not impacted in a bad way, then go to 9 blocks. Rinse and repeat until you find your "zone".

One last thing, How is the body composition evoluting? I mean weight doesn't mean much besides your relation with the gravity...

How are the pants feeling? Looser? That's how you should "gauge" your progress. If you lose some dress size but still weight the same, you'll be happy to conclude with me that weitgh it self doesn't mean much

Keep the good work, your on the good path!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
Corrinne Haskins

Profile:

One of the things i speculated about on a different thread is that the zone is simply too low in calories for most active women much less any woman. At my weight and height and activity level It was suggested that I eat 11 blocks a day. Which roughly translated into 1150 calories when followed strictly. The balance of protein to carbs to fat was great but I was hungry easily about 1/5 to 2 hours after every meal. I was lifting and doing cardio 5x a week.

I was looking at Jamie Eason's diet and workout schedule (she is considered one of the top fitness models and at contest comes in around 11%-16% off season) Her diet is zone-able and she is eating 1700 calories a day when dieting.

The point is if you drop your calories too low your body won't let go of the weight. It is starving.

To give you an idea I am 5'4" and 120 lbs. I eat in the zone, sometimes keeping my carbs at 35% and my fat at 35% or my protein at 35% some days. Other days my carbs are up a little higher at the 40% mark. I've tried upping the fat but my body really doesn't like getting more than 30-35%.

I recently took somewhat of a layoff due to some vacation time and hamstring issues. Really only working out 2-3x a week. (I also wait tables so walk a lot in the evening) Enough to maintain. I kept at the 1700 calories and still dropped 2-3lbs. I'm roughly 16-18% bf. I could be a tad more shredded but performance suffers there although it looks great when I'm around 14-16%.

I could have upped my fat blocks or just upped my vegetables which I prefer to do because it actually has some nutrition in it. I really don't eat bread very often or have any pasta. Not much dairy either maybe cottage cheese once in a while and some milk in the am for my espresso. I keep it pretty paleo. I should add my metabolism isn't lightening quick but it is moderately fast. I burn about 1300 calories a day just sitting around doing nothing forget about sprinting, WOD's, Olympic lifting and running around at work for 5 hours.

The point is play around with your calorie intake.

Last edited by Corrinne Haskins : 05-21-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
Justin Algera

Profile:

A couple of things, but again like Nick said really can't comment too much until we know what exactly you have been eating. One thing, you may be putting on some muscle mass (although with the spinning thats pretty unlikely) and that might be affecting your "weight loss". Also, you said that your are pretty strict, however you also said you had 2 cheat meals. 2 1/2 weeks isnt all that long and really too early to be throwing in a cheat meal, let alone 2. Someone like myself is very sensitive to "cheating" so I have to be really careful when I do it. I can drop weight pretty quickly, but I can easily throw it back on as soon as my diet goes just a little bit south. Also, you said your energy level is up and your workouts are good, so depending on what your body type/size is now, it might just take a little longer to see the results on the scale.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
Laura Kurth

Profile:

i agree, the zone is so restrictive in terms of calories, perhaps your body is starving.

I too should eat not much more than 1000 according to it, which might be ok if I just lay in bed all day and didn't move, but add general activity, then the WOD to that, and 2x spinning a week and eating 1100 calories to me seems a bit too restrictive.

The question I have is, how was your diet PRIOR to zone 2.5 weeks ago. How many calories per day were you eating etc.

If you raise your calories your body may respond by releasing some fat. If you continually lower them as Frederic suggested, you will eventually lose weight but if you have to eat 900 calories a day to do this I advise against it. It is simply not healthy.

You are only 25 years old, at this age & level of activity an 1100 calorie diet seems excessive for weight loss.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
Lindsey Forbes

Profile:

I am a little embarassed to write out my "fat" stats, as I call them. Just know that I am not hideous!!!

Female 25
approx 31% body fat
5'5" 160

Perhaps a cheat meal is simply not in the cards for me...*sigh* Just as I suspected.
Rest-6-7 hours a night w/ a brief baby run most nights.

Okay, on to the fun part.

Sunday-
6:15am Breakfast-2 corn tortillas
-3oz 93% FF ground beef
-2 tsp lite sour cream
-1/2 cup watermelon

12pm Lunch- 3oz Salmon
-Crap load of vegies (prob 1 1/2 cup onion, green peppers, mushrooms)
-2/3 cup mashed potato

3pm Snack -1/2 cup watermelon
-1/2 oz ham 1/2 oz cheese
-3 cashews

7pm dinner- 1 corn tortilla
-3oz carne asada
-3 tbsp guac
-less than 1 oz corn chips

9pm snack-1/2 c watermelon
-1/2 oz cheese 1/2 oz ham
-1 mac nut

Monday
6am Breakfast- 2 eggs
- 1 'diet' bread toast
-1 cup vegies, 1/3 cup potato (all grilled up together)

12pm Lunch -1 corn tortilla
-2 1/2oz ground beef
-1/2 oz cheese
-2 cups romain w/ 5 olives, 1TBSP avo, 1tsp lite sour cream
-1/2 c watermelon
-Snuck a mini chocolate

Snack- Doh! Forgot to eat with baby and workout

7pm- Dinner -3oz chuck steak
-1/2 baked potato w/ 3 tsp lite sour cream
-2 cups romain salad w/ 2tsp lite dressing

Tuesday

6:00am Breakfast-1 egg, 1 1/2oz leftover steak, 1/2 lite cheese
-1 1/2 cup vegies (onion, bell peppers, mushroom),
2/3 cup potato

12pm Lunch- I totally don't remember. Along the same lines as everything else.

3pm snack- 1 oz deli turkey, 7 cherries, 3 cashews (then snuck an 1oz of corned beef)

8:30pm dinner-3oz steak, 1 cup salad w/ 1 TBSP ranch

The end.

Prior to my almost 3 weeks ago, I was eating alright. I stayed pretty healthy and had a couple week stint of MAJORLY restricting my calories and feeling fatigued and crappy all the time. I lost weight, oh yes, but at what cost? I switched to zone when I wanted to lose body fat and feel good too.

So there is my mess. I love you all for commenting and trying to help me through this. I want to keep going, but I want to see results from my hard work.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
Laura Kurth

Profile:

hmm well you could probably dump the corn tortillas, mashed potato, and bread. Try to get all your carbs from vegetables, and some fruit.

If you feel good, not low on energy on this plan, then perhaps stick with it (minus the unfavorable carbs) for 2 more weeks, trying to go without a cheat meal.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:39 AM   #10
Lindsey Forbes

Profile:

I don't think I could give up potatos....they are my vice. Plus, eating fruits and vegies can get uber expensive and we are on a tiiiiggghhttt budget. I do try and eat vegies/fruit as the bulk of my meals though.