CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
James Forshaw

Profile:
My IF plan

Recovering from a truly spectacular cheat day binge on Sunday, I decided to eat nothing today to see if I could do it. Apart from very minor difficulty in focussing come dinnertime (probably due to my late night), it wasn't hard at all. I breezed through Diane in record time tonight, and I'm totally galvanised. I want to get some thoughts on this IF plan that I've decided upon. The several searches I've done have given me plenty of IF info, but I can't really find simple yes/no's to some burning questions.

Nutrition Plan
(I'm a 15 block zoner and have been successful for long enough)

1. 24 hour IF - 7pm cut-off
I figured 7pm as I get home from university close to 6 and this would give me time for a last meal. And on evenings when I start to eat, I could finish eating at 7:30 and not be stuffed for bed.
Is 24hr on/off good? Taking into account the hours before bed, sleep and the time before breakfast, I'd probably only have 12 hours in my ON periods to eat.

2. I'd keep the quality of my food as high as possible i.e. quality meat, fruit veg, oils and plenty of fish oil. Eyeball method (experienced Zoner) to work out proportions, but will probably be a little less strict than usual.

3. If you are on a 24hr IF protocol, does that mean you should be eating twice as much food to maintain strength/mass? 30 blocks is a hell of a lot of food for a 24 hour (probably only 12 hour with sleep) period! I think I read somewhere that eating paleo til you are satisfied evens out as perfectly adequate.

Does this plan seem reasonable? Honestly, I want more than reasonable. I want optimum health, focus and fitness with the benefits of IF. It seems even easier to stick to than the Zone, which requires quite a bit of thinking and working out numbers.
If so, I'll give it a go for a month to black box and then relate how it goes.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: My IF plan

1. If you're saying stop eating by 7 PM, start the next evening at 7 PM and eat normally the following day, yes, that is an option. Others fast 16-20 hours or so, basically skipping breakfast and eating a normal or late lunch to break their fast. That's my approach and I fast 4-5 days per week. Check out Mike O'Donnells IF Life blog for lots of answers (WFS):

http://projectfit.org/iflifeblog/

2. Good idea. Alternate bingeing and fasting, as you did this week-end, is not a good approach.

3. Yes. IF does not mean caloric restriction. You may find, however, that you need less food than you did before.

4. Yes, although you might find Met-Con's particularly taxing in a fasted state, particularly at the end of a long fast. Then again, it might work great for you.

5. Your plan sounds reasonable to me, although you might consider starting out a little more slowly, working your way up to 24 hours. Key is to keep food quality high. Some IFers use Zone quantities and ratios, some just ratios, most adhere fairly close to Paleo foods.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
James Forshaw

Profile:

Thanks man, I'm going to give it a go straight away. I guess I'll have to make sure my metcons are done just after an eating phase. Though at the end of a long fast, a metcon may mimic the hunt before a paleolithic man got to eat - could be interesting...
I'll definately let people know how it's going. Thanks for the link.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
Jaime Steele

Profile:

I'm interested in trying this as well. Last week I did an 18 hour fast with no problems. Are you going to fast every day or do a couple of days a week?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:50 AM   #5
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Remember the definition if IF--especially the I--intermittent!!
Old 05-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I think the best way to find out if your plan is reasonable is to do it. If you feel like dung, then it's not reasonable. Some do very well with ADF, others need more like a 15/9 or a Fast-5 type of schedule. Others, like Devany I believe, advocate more of the eat-stop-eat principle. See what works

If you do ADF, then yes you need to eat double to make up the caloric deficit from no foods. that's typically the consensus.

I personally like Paleo/IF better than Zone, but I still tend to think of my meals in Zone terms, but don't make it a strict thing.

I also like a more haphazard approach to IF kind of fasting whenever I feel like it, anywhere from 2-5 days/week. The whole eat 5-6 meals/day thing is more a gimmick to keep you from binging on crap when you see it. If you have good discipline then you'll be fine. On days I don't IF, then I may eat 3 or 4 times, or if I am especially active up to 5 or 6 smaller meals. It's called INTERMITTENT Fasting for a reason.

I personally fast after a day of not too clean eating, for anywhere from 24-30 hours.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
James Forshaw

Profile:

I don't want to sound like I'm chickening out here, but I am having second thoughts. Today was an on-day, and I ate quite a bit. Good food, all paleo, but I'm still stuffed. And to make sure I'm eating enough, I'd have to be more stuffed than I'm used to being and it's not a feeling I enjoy at all. The idea of filling up on almost double your daily intake in one day then fasting it all off does not seem like a good one (maybe I'm wrong but it's what I'm thinking right now).
What I'll do instead is just eat from 7:30am til 6:30pm most days, so a 13 hour fast, and on weekends and days I'm not in university in the morning, even longer fasts. It just seems healthier, and I'll be cutting back on "late-night" calories which can only be good. I think this is what Rob Wolf does anyway. That's not to say a 24 hour fast every now and then wouldn't be beneficial, and I think I'll incorporate one....intermittently!
Old 05-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
Jason Fryer

Profile:

I've been doing IF on and off for over a year and even before starting IF I can tell you there is one piece of dietary advice that I can recommend above anything else:

If you aren't hungry, don't eat. Your body will not waste away in three hours and if you eat a clean diet and you aren't receiving a hunger signal, your body probably doesn't need the food right then.

I do a weekly IF right now of eating on Mondays until 7. Fasting until Tuesday at 7. Eating until 7 on Wednesday and then fasting until 7pm Thursday.

I don't eat any more than I normally would and I've had no decrease in performance or any negative effects on my composition.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
James Forshaw

Profile:

I think today's eating has ruined IF for me, for at least the time being. Eating past fullness in anticipation of 24 hours without food is not nice AT ALL. Thats an excellent point about your body not being hungry therefore not needing the food. It seems so obvious, yet if after 4 hours I'm not hungry, I'll still invariably eat.
You say no negative effects in body composition. Any positive effects come of IF?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Jason Fryer

Profile:

I've been dropping fat and adding strength. Not sure if I've added muscle but the weight is going down a little at a time and I'm definitely looking more cut (based on weekly pictures from front, back, and side).

I'm getting to the point where I just eat when I am hungry and don't eat if I am not hungry. Sometimes that is fasting for a day, sometimes I eat twice in two hours. It seems so simple but it's hard to break the societal norms of "time to eat".