CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Michael Houghton

Profile:
Intermittent Fasting

Hey all, I was wondering about IF. I read a post from Dr. Eades and he said that at first they thought it was good, but his part 2 said it wasn't. I'm just curious here, so please don't jump all over me. I tried searching, but my wife tells me to search for something too, and I can't find it without her help, so go easy on me. Anyways, I was wondering a couple of things. I saw Gant Grimes talking about how IF trains your body to burn fat, as opposed to the Zone where it works off of carbs? I could be confused, but that is what I got out of the conversation. Also, if I fast all day, but eat at, say, 6pm, would I eat everything that I missed all day? Sorry, i've tried to figure it out, but it's just kinda confusing. One last thing: I get really ****y if I don't eat. Will I get used to it, or should I just try a shorter fast at first to get acclimated to it? Again, if these have been discussed, I'm sorry.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Houghton View Post
I saw Gant Grimes talking about how IF trains your body to burn fat, as opposed to the Zone where it works off of carbs?
That was a different deal. I was describing the fat adaptation from my personal nutrition program, which is Paleo/Zone (sub FAT for CHO)/IF.

IF is a little different. You can become fat adapted--or not--on IF or Zone.

There is a good discussion on Eades's articles here. wfs.

There are some good threads on this, but start with these two links from the IF Life (both wfs). They're good primers on the subject.

http://projectfit.org/iflifeblog/200...one-should-to/

http://projectfit.org/iflifeblog/200...-start-part-i/

IF was the last piece of the puzzle for me. It also took several months for it to finally take. This is one of those things where you truly have to find what works for you. Read the material, figure out something that you think works for your schedule, and post up.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
Michael Houghton

Profile:

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry if I misquoted. I'm trying to get my deal dialed in too. I lost close to 50 lbs, but I just want to lean out a tiny bit more. I'll read up and try to post when I try some of it. Thanks again. Gant, I really enjoy reading when you post. It is very informative. I appreciate you taking time to show me that stuff.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Gant Grimes

Profile:

No problem. You just caught me on a computer-intensive day at the office.

I saw the details of your weight loss on another thread. Congrats!

Those links are a good place to start. IF is not a one-size-fits-all type of deal. That's why I directed you to the links. Once you have a little background, offer up a little more info (current diet, training, goals), and we'll go from there.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Michael Houghton

Profile:

Sounds good. I'll take a look tomorrow while I'm "working." Ha.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:12 AM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I leaned up a lot on Zone for a few months, but it wasn't until I started IF'ing it that the abs really started to show through. Lately I'm back on the Zone again, doing pretty much standard 16 blocks, with a little added fat. Originally I got back into the Zone because I wanted to add a little mass, and didn't want to just do a gallon of day during my IF window

Personally I've felt more energized while doing IF. It does take some time to settle in, and busying yourself with work makes it all the easier. I won't beat a dead horse, since it seems you've already got some good places to start.

I'll just add that there's a really long, and really informative thread over on the Performance Menu boards about IF. Just about every question that has ever been asked about IF is in that thread, so it's a great resource, albeit lengthy, and probably impossible to cover in its entirety.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:55 AM   #7
Charlie A Nilsson

Profile:

I'm doing alittle research on IF, thinking of starting IF next week.

But just a followup question on IF, at the moment i'm having a sort of day time job, sometimes working evenings.

But this summer im changing work, and will work shift.
2days on and 2 days off.
working in total 24 hours the 2days im working, starting 06:00-14:00 rest starting again at 21:00-06:00 then working 14:00-21:00 the last day.

Not really sure if its to do IF on my working days, stop eating around 20:00 and then work for 9h... might be a little hard.

Any thoughts on an IF approach working like that for a few months?
28/5.6/~150# DL: 419# BS: 330# Press: 155# "Mary" 16+2 "Angie" 15:29 "Murph" 34:15 "Fran" 3:42

Last edited by Charlie A Nilsson : 05-01-2008 at 04:56 AM. Reason: better to go on in an existing thread
Old 05-01-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
George Mounce

Profile:

I did IF and found my metabolism actually slowing down (body was adapting to actually use less calories because it was going toward the fast and binge mode) and I could actually gain weight on 2100 calories. Went back to the Zone and it sped back up, to where I won't gain weight until over 2700 calories. I would say for survivability, we are made to do that, but for elite performance, a good flow of fuel is key. Pick your poison, both do a good job, and both I find are healthy. IF tends to lead people down a path of overeating as well - it isn't quantity restricted, even though people like me who track everything eaten found that I was eating 2100-2200 calories a day on IF (I did 17-18 hour fasts).

My black box opinion (9 months of Zone, 6 months of IF, back on Zone for last 3 months).

I will say I've been 10 pounds lighter on the Zone with the same ability to improve on lifts/metcon.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:23 AM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Charlie;

There are not rules or guidelines for IF'ing. There is a ton of info on the PM boards, read those threads.

Bottom line, fast, then eat. Most fast for at least 14 hours, some even 24, then you eat. Some of eating windows of 4-6 hours, others that fast for 24, eat for 24.

So, fast, eat, see what works for you, as there are NO hard and fast rules.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:41 AM   #10
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

I'd just like to add that some randomization of this IF process is really nice as well.

Play with your eating window and fasting window. Go back to normal eating for maybe 2 days, or 1. And then IF again for random fasting window ( with as Jay said at least 14h ,I think). DO this for a couple of weeks/months, and I assure you you gonna feel that hunter hunger "energy"