CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Andres Gordo

Profile:
Mentally Pushing your self.

Can people give me some tips or discuss a way to mentally push your self, I heard the 'get comfortable with the uncomfortable'.
Yes, but what else can some one that is elite in Xfit or a very trained guy (or gal) tell me in tips for pushing your self in those reps that hurt like a and forget about the pain and just get through it.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: Mentally Pushing your self.

"Suck it up, buttercup" is a great tip.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I find that a good soundtrack accompanying my workouts tends to get me more moto. But in the end, that desire to push on shouldn't come from anywhere else but within. I know that sounds retarded, but it's true. The more you do the workouts, and the more you see your numbers inching up, the more confident you will be, and so on and so forth.

On the hero WODs, I really don't think there's any need for excess inspiration. Just think of who the WOD is named for, what they did, and put everything you've got into honoring that.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:

There isn't a panacea to this problem, you don't just one day bust your *** through a workout and instantly they are all easier to push through, it's the opposite. Mentally you become stronger because each time you fight for more and more and more, not because you discovered how to do mental pushups.

As for tips? There are a few but they are vague at best, I recommend having a goal to work towards. If you want to be a faster 5k runner enter a 5k and see how slow you are in comparison, that will light a fire under your ***. If you want to be a better CrossFitter find someone in the comments (or better yet in real life) to compete with.

It all boils down to one of my motto's "Suck it up and do it."
Old 04-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Having a fellow CFer to train with that is better than you is really good for pushing yourself. But for people like myself who workout alone, music does wonders. It gets me physched (? spelling) up and allows me to push a little farther. Also, it's a race against your current PR, which is alot of motivation for me to push myself to beat my last time in a given WOD. Many of the mottos for pushing yourself are similar, but I find listening to the nike commercial says it all:

http://alwyncosgrove.blogspot.com/2008/01/excuses.html
(w/f safe)
Old 04-22-2008, 03:30 AM   #6
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Accept the fact that it will suck.

Accept the fact that you may hear that little voice telling you too quit, or it's too much or you're running late and will just cut it a little short yada yada..

You can't stop the little voice, but you can make a pact with yourself that you will finish or you will hit a certain goal in spite of that little voice.

Easier said than done, I know. But, that is what helps me when "Fran" pops up.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:35 AM   #7
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

That Nike commercial is brilliant.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:50 AM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

People have been discussing this topic for years, and the (spec ops) communities specifically look for the individuals that take the pain, deal with it and press on. The key here is your inner drive and the ability to accept that what your doing may hurt or be strenuous but you just keep going because you know you can do more and you accept no limits.

Music and training partners will push you to go further or get pumped up and crank out one or two more pushups. But when it comes down to direct competition, a running event, cycling event or mma match where it is you and only you, you had better build on your own inner drive and become proficient in breaking your own boundaries, relying on you and you alone.

There is in my opinion no single tip some can give that would help you push yourself, you either will or will not. You and only you can then determine the level that you are operating on. But like it has been said, try to break all of your PR’s. That is a starting point that will lead to success in reaching down and finding that drive and hopefully make you strive for one more rep.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Also, you can use the saying: "The mind controls the body, the body does not control the mind"! If your mind says you can do more, well, then you can!

Last edited by Doug Blankenship : 04-22-2008 at 03:54 AM. Reason: info
Old 04-22-2008, 04:27 AM   #9
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Some good advice has been posted. But what I find works best is to just go straight into the pain. Don't try to mitigate, rationalize, forget or in any way distract yourself from the pain. Go straight into it. And learn to live there.

Good luck.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:39 AM   #10
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbeth Darsh View Post
Don't try to mitigate, rationalize, forget or in any way distract yourself from the pain. Go straight into it. And learn to live there.
That's hardcore.