CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-05-2005, 12:08 AM   #1
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
I'm trying to get down to 80kgs from 84kgs at the moment. I put on a bit of weight on a business trip.

My question is this: I do half an hour of weights about five times a week. I'm reasonably happy with that, but I burn 250 calories on a rowing machine and 250 calories on the treadmill. Is that enough for a reasonably good level of fitness?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-05-2005, 01:39 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
It depends on what sort of weights you are doing? If you mean bodybuilding then no. I don't know how far 250 calories takes you, so I couldn't really answer that.

Some exercise is better than none.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:32 AM   #3
Chris Longley

Profile:
I cut most of my workouts off at the 20 minute mark (not including my warm-up)due to time constraints and like you I work out 5 times a week. I've actually found that since doing this, my workouts have been more focused and my gains better than when I did longer workouts. So the time issue shouldn't be a problem.

The main things I would make sure of is that you're doing Crossfit style workouts and eating a Zone-ish diet. In my experience diet is the most important factor in changing body composition and losing weight, with exercise a close (and necessary) second.

If you have any questions about the Zone, search the message boards and look at the X-fit FAQ (the links on the main page).

Hope that helps.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
Carl Herzog

Profile:
It's difficult to give a direct answer to your question.

If losing body fat was only about calories then we could all accomplish what we want- in less time - by simply eating less. Most realize, though, that exercise helps so you have to ask youself "What is different about adding exercise that eating less doesn't provide?" The obvious answer is that it brings about other changes to the body besides just using calories.

It is primarily these changes that you seek when you work out. It is because of these changes that 250 Cals of one exercise can be more effective than 500 Cals of another.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Thanks for those responses. I guess that my weights program is orientated towards body building, but for a great many exercises, I am up to 12 or 14 reps because I can't even lift the next weight up.

I've just upped my cardio to 600cals this morning, up from 500 because I've worked out a way to spend longer at the gym.

As for diet, it's quite good, muesli, fruit, nuts, sushi for lunch and then a good meal for dinner. I blow it at least twice a week with a pig-out at a restuarant sadly.

I guess I need to measure my body fat content rather than just use the scales as a measure of my fitness progress.

Thanks again,

Matthew
Old 06-05-2005, 06:00 PM   #6
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
PS How do I get the program to send me an email when someone responds to my post? I've looked in profile, but couldn't find it.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:12 AM   #7
will schrenk

Profile:

Hi Matt,

Your ideas soung excellent - time is limited for me too, could you list a typical weeks workout?

Many Thanks!

Will
Old 06-06-2005, 04:14 AM   #8
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Sure Will. For each muscle group I have four or five exercises for which I do between 1 and 3 sets.

Day 1 - Biceps. Then 300cals on the rowing machine and 300cals on the treadmill (maximum incline)

Day 2 - Triceps/forearms. Ditto cardio.

Day 3 - Shoulders. Ditto cardio.

Day 4 - Back. Ditto cardio.

Day 5 - Abs. Ditto cardio.

Day 6 - Chest. Ditto cardio.

I don't work on my strength training for my legs as I am susceptible to knee injury and I feel that I get enough leg exercise from the running and now rowing. I am also aiming to split my cardo three ways soon, 200 cals on the bike, 200 cals on the rowing machine and 200 cals running. Consistent with the things I've learned on crossfit. :-)

If you want the exercise details, you can get them from here, or I can write them out for you: http://www.ast-ss.com/

It's a pretty commercial site, but if you delve into the programs a bit, there's some great info in there.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:47 AM   #9
Kent Sewell

Profile:
Matt,

Well, I know for a fact that your weight training program is pretty good because I've used Max-OT before with great success. However, I'm not sure if you're approaching the cardio work properly. 600 calories worth of cardio 6 days a week? Seems like a recipe for losing all that muscle mass you're trying to maintain while shedding the pounds. You don't need your metabolism slowing down on you or ending up looking like a smaller version of your current self with the same ratio of fat to lean mass.

I'd say you could either drop a couple days of cardio or at least scale the intensity of your workouts so that if you do decide on 6 days of cardio, make some shorter at high intensity for intervals for say, 20 minutes, and other, longer sessions perhaps lasting to the 600 calories that you enjoy.

In addition, you could combine one of your workout days, such as not working arms on their own, but with chest and back, and then with those two extra days, sub in a x-fit workout and drop a couple days of cardio.

Just some ideas to kick around.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:05 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Nobody want's to pull the trigger so I'll step up. Matthew, bodybuilding programs are not designed for athletes and suck for weight loss. They work the muscles in isolation and create imbalances. They are mostly effective for genetically prone "bodybuilders" who use massive amounts of drugs. The site you are on, right now, GIVES you the best most cutting edge fitness, athletic, weight loss, "cardio", program avalable in the world today. There is a vast amount of lifting experience(powerlifters, Olympic lifters, strongmen, track and field athletes), gymnasts, athletics, Mountain/rock climbers, military, police, and martial artists, that use the Workout of the Day as their only general conditioning program. Slow steady state cardio burns muscle tissue and converts fast twitch fibers to slow twitch fibers. Additionally, your diet, as described, is not ideal. 90% of weight loss comes from adjustment of diet. So my suggestions:

1. Start by reading the home page of this website. A workout is posted every day. Do a warm-up and do the workout, go home.

2. Get the 2 free Journals, linked from the home page "what is fitness" goes over some of the stuff I've covered.

3. Read these boards and use the search function.

4. The most underused and, IMHO, best resource for CF, Lynne's (with an E) Crossfit FAQ's look on the homepage, to the left of the workouts.

5. Read "Enter the Zone" by Barry Sears. You should be able to get a used version for about $5.00. Also get the Crossfit Journal, Zone Meal Plans.

6. Ask questions, people around here are nice, sometimes too nice.

Just do the Workout of the Day for one month...you will lose the weight and possibly be hooked for life...or, it will crush you.