CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-30-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Bryan DiNunzio

Profile:
Home made medicine ball

Any suggestions on how to make a good home made medicine ball. I've made the basketball filled with 25# of sand and it really didn't leave much room to absorb impact. Also when your palms start to sweat it's hard to grip the duct tape. Any suggestions or improvements would really help.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
Richard Gonzalez

Profile:
Re: Home made medicine ball

Buy some fake snow, or some cheap pillows from walmart. Duct tape cotton to the ball until its about 14in in diameter. Makes a great wallball.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:06 AM   #3
Alex Rosch

Profile:

I might just do that to 'caddilac' my DIY med-ball...so 14" is what I'd get with a Dynamax ball?

Old 12-31-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Richard Gonzalez

Profile:

Yes, every Dynamax ball is 14" in diameter.

I "churched" up my ghetto ball, which I thought was 25lbs. Turns out, with all of the cotton and duct tape (You have to use a TON) it was actually 32lbs.

As I'm sure you know, duct tape is less forgiving than leather when you sweat.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
Juan Cantu

Profile:

if its harder to grip, its only better for you.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
Ian Carver

Profile:

Go to Walmart or Target or something similar, and buy yourself a couple of those rubber playground balls. I bought a three pack (and now that I think of it, I am not sure where ball #3 went) for $6.99. The balls are roughly the same size as a basket ball, so if you are looking for a Dynamax sized ball, they won't work. The balls have a nice texture on the outside of them that enhances grip and the rubber is pretty resilient. Mine have no duct tape on them, just all rubber...here's the trick.

Take the ball and, using a ball inflation needle, bleed off some of the air. Take a pair of needlenose pliers and get them on either side of the black air plug. Slowly and carefully,work the plug from side to side to gain some stretch clearance and slowly pull it out. Get a good grip on it the first time so you don't tear it on the way out. Put it aside and save it for re-insertion later.

Funnel the sand or whatever into the ball - this takes some time as you have to fill through the plug/air hole and it's is slow going, allowing sand in and air to escapethe ball. Doing it this way is tedious, but it prevents punching another hole in the ball. I found the balls will hold about 15 Lbs of sand before it starts getting tight in there. Shifting and shaking the sand in the ball helps. If I need more space, I take a inflatable mattress air nozzle (large diameter plastic type), put it in the plug hole, pump up the ball a tiny bit to stretch it out, quickly remove it and pour a couple more pounds in the ball - repeat as necessary. Once you get the weight you want, take your plug, moisten it a bit, and gently work it back into the hole with the pliers. A twisting, side to side motion will get it in. Take the air needle and fill the ball up very slightly with air. Too much air will stress the rubber shell, plug hole, and plug. Mine are semi soft with a bit of resistance to the outer shell, not stretched tight or "bouncy". If your plug is looking precarious, you can sand the area down and put a rubber patch over it with some contact cement.

This process takes a while but the balls are bomb proof and work great. I have a 17 and 20 Lb ball that have survived countless hours of abuse in all forms, except slamming - they will not survive that very well. No duct tape on the outside keeps the surface good on sweaty hands and a little chalk helps too. Give it a try. Good luck!!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
Bryan DiNunzio

Profile:

Those are some great ideas! Thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Bobby Nauss

Profile:

The ball I made has worked pretty well so far ($3. basketball from Target and some playground sand). I just drilled a small hole with my Dremel tool next to the air valve and used a tire patch kit to plug it. The only problem was filling the ball....the sand I bought was slightly damp, something I found out after I bought it. Took forever because it clumped together in the funnel I was using.

A buddy of mine suggested birdseed, which would fill the ball quicker because it won't clump together, but I was in a pet store and a 5 pound bag was about $14. Not sure if Wal-Mart or Target will have it any cheaper. I was thinking about trying kitty litter if I don't find bird seed any cheaper.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
Bryan DiNunzio

Profile:

The only problem I see with using bird seed or kitty litter is it doesn't have the same density as sand and won't weigh as much.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:27 AM   #10
Richard Gonzalez

Profile:

I tried kitty litter. You can only fit like 12-15 lbs worth in a basketball.

The first ball I made the sand had a lot of rocks in it, which slowed the process.

The second ball I made, I opted for silica and and used a hanger to break up any clumps.