CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Zach Mitchell

Profile:
Intermittent Fasting HELP

I have gotten control of my eating habits for most of 4 days starting on Wednesday December 19th. I am very new to CrossFit and haven't starting any WODs yet, however, a good friend is organizing his equipment and we should have a place to work out before New Years (a little longer than expected). I wanted to start early with the nutrition as that will be my biggest struggle. I might be biting off more than I can chew, but I even threw in Intermittent Fasting.

Wednesday I fasted for 15 hrs, Thursday for 12 hours, and Friday for 24 hours. I didn't feel weak, but I was definately hungry. The most important thing I noticed while fasting was that I DID NOT CRAVE. There was a physical hunger that was painful at times, however there was not that emotional/mental need to eat (my biggest enemy). Art de Vany ended a post of his with "...change your relationship with food." After years of trying conventional diets and exercise, I stumbled upon CrossFit, Paleo, Zone, Art de Vany, the list goes on. These resources have been the driving force in my desire to gain control of my health and fitness.

I was shopping today for Christmas, and I saw pastries and deserts and fast food and yada, yada. But I saw in a different light. I saw it as disgusting, detrimental, degenerative disease ridden and just plain not appetizing. I can't help but feel sorry for anyone who hasn't found CF or is conciously being ignorant to the thought.

I ate just now for the first time in 24 hours -- 10 stalks of asparagus, 4 eggs, and 3 slices of ham -- all organic, grass fed.

I am still hungry. But I do not have a desire to eat more. I need to know what my next step is. I have technically been fasting for three days and I wish to be on a regualr schedule for at least the time being.

Do I have the right idea?

Should I be fasting within days?

How long should I go now without fasting?

Should I make 24 hours the longest or shortest time frame?

Thank you in advance for your help! Happy Holidays.

Zach Mitchell
Old 12-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #2

Profile:

Re: Intermittent Fasting HELP

It sounds like you're overlooking THE critical point - you should NOT be restricting calories to any considerable degree. The whole idea is to get the benefits of fasting without the drawbacks of caloric restriction. In other words, if you fast for 24 hrs, you need to eat 2-days' worth of food the following 24. Likewise, if you fast each day, you need to fit the entire day's allotment of food into the compressed window--e.g. 12-6pm. Those are the two common approaches--day on, day off and compressed window feeding. Which you choose is really just personal preference.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

I would also say that you should dial in your nutrition first. Ensure that you are getting adequate nutrition in all protein, carbs and fats!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Sarena's right...

Some might suggest you even try eating Zone portions of Paleo food while you IF (this is one beast of a good diet!). Personally I don't do strict Zone, but I try to make conscious decisions, like "Well I just had two apples, maybe I shouldn't have a third and get some almonds instead." Sticking to Paleo foods has worked very well for me so far.

I get the hunger pangs that you mention, with no specific cravings. On a very rare occasion I've craved chocolate and cookies but even more rarely do I ever give in.

For me I try not to do the full 24 hour fasts just because I consider eating to be somewhat of a social activity and I enjoy eating with family and friends. So I fast 18-20 hours, then eat usually from 7 or 8pm through midnight. That way I get to have dinner with people.

Greg is also correct -- you need to be making sure you're still getting the right amount of calories each day to fuel yourself. Otherwise it's just your every day starvation diet, and that's a no-no, especially if you're gonna be doing WODs.

I get about 1800-2100 calories in my window. Sometimes it's tough to do, and I'll cheat by eating peanut butter or just taking little shots of olive oil to get the calories up there.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
Zach Mitchell

Profile:

Thanks for the replies. I definately forgot about the proper calorie intake. 4 hours after my first meal that ended a 24 hour fast, I am preparing some tuna and spinach. I will be more concious of the calories and time periods.

I haven't been diligent with my Zone research and I am still ignorant to some of the practices. I will factor the Zone portions into my diet.

Thanks again!
Old 12-23-2007, 03:18 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Mitchell View Post
Thanks for the replies. I definately forgot about the proper calorie intake. 4 hours after my first meal that ended a 24 hour fast, I am preparing some tuna and spinach. I will be more concious of the calories and time periods.

I haven't been diligent with my Zone research and I am still ignorant to some of the practices. I will factor the Zone portions into my diet.

Thanks again!
Zach;
Good info at the Performance Menu Boards, one thread is on IF'ing.
Good luck.