CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
Garrett Bartholme

Profile:
Recipies for Toddlers

I am taking a more active role in what my kids eat and am looking for some recipes. They eat fruit and vegetables at every meal, but some meals are too card heavy and I would like to get more protein in their diet. They are still in the finger food stage. So far I came up with these

Ham cubes, butternut squash, and pineapple.
Turkey and gnocchi in pasta sauce.

I make a bunch at a time to vacuum seal and freeze. If you have any ideas let me know, I am trying to get away from having the supper market feed my kids.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: Recipies for Toddlers

I commend you for your committment to good nutrition for your kids. There is so much garbage out there!

One thing to be aware of is that kids need a good supply of healthy fat in their diets. In paleo terms, most kids would still use a good deal of breast milk as part of their diet probably up to 2 or more years of age. Human milk has quite a bit of fat in it. Human milk contains 0.8% to 0.9% protein, 3% to 5% fat, 6.9% to 7.2% carbohydrates and 0.2% ash (minerals).

Finger food-sized chunks of fruits, cooked veggies, braised meats, chicken, fish, avocado all are good choices. Be aware that wheat, milk and peanuts are very common allergens in young children.

I wish I had known more about nutrition when my kids were young. Your kids are lucky!

Susie