CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
Josh Hansink

Profile:
Question Out of gas during pull ups

I've just recently started doing the WOD's and am far from doing the full # of pullups without assistance or cheating at the end. I do most of the WOD's in my garage and am unable to kip due to lack of space and stability of my pullup bar, so I am left with doing strict form pull ups. Is it better to spot yourself with a platform by your feet or just move to jumping pullups, or even just rest until you can actually do the pullup without help?

Part 2: I am also having a hard time going beyond 14 consecutive strict form pull ups. My Lats are ALWAYS sore after the workouts, so I know they are getting worked. It definately feels like I am at a sticking point with Pull ups. Do I add weight? Anybody else have this problem?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Jesse Emers

Profile:
Re: Out of gas during pull ups

I've been crossfitting for a couple months now. I started at around 9 straight pullups and now I am up to 14 max. I've never had kipping experience because I've never had access to a bar that would allow it. My pullup endurance is going up... just very slow. I kinda figured that this was normal. Someone please let me know if it is not.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Jumping pullups when you can't do anymore pullups w/o assistance.

If you're always sore you should back off a bit and let yourself get used to the volume by working back into it slowly. Adding weight can help from the standpoint of increasing your endurance potential, but you'd still have to practice endurance stuff to bring it out.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
David Wallach

Profile:

All hail ReconRon's Pull up program. I am just starting it, but the marines on my schedule swear by it, and their pull up numbers crush most.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:

I'll second the jumping pullups when you can't do strict ones anymore. I'm in the same boat with kips - a low rack (I'm 193cm, the rack's bar is maybe 210-215cm off the ground) requires me to curl my ankles up to my butt to do full range pullups, and it's not bolted down so I can't swing on the bar. The rack is not deep, so an Eva-style push away from the bar at the top would smack my head into the crossbar.

For metcons I do jumping pullups with a minimal jump, them lower down under tension, and I accept the smaller ROM at the bottom. For kipping pullups, I do supinated grip pullups (aka chinups) and I do a small, low-momentum kick to get a boost up. It works well, even from the low bar (I'm eternally in a half-Knees to Elbows position), and lets me do more pullups than I can do strictly. Maybe not the best kip, but even on the old and wobbly rack I've got at my gym I can get a few extra reps over my strict pullups. Doing the kipping chinups and jumping pullups with an emphasis on the negative portion has helped me boost up my weighted chinup numbers nicely, and my pullup maximum has inched up as well.

I hope that helps.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:49 PM   #6
Josh Hansink

Profile:

I appreciate the replies. It's nice to get others input on the topic. This has been a major sticking point for me and I look forward to working through it. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #7
Justin Herring

Profile:

I wouldn't worry if it takes time to see big improvements.

I've been crossfitting for about 6 months (still scaling a lot of workouts) and I moved slowly but steadily from assisted pullups to being able to knock out 20+ pullups in a row. Inadequate rest (my problem) and less-than-perfect diet can slow your progress too, but you'll get there.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
Shelly Jones

Profile:

Honestly I can only do 1 or 2 Pullups at my present beginner level. One I'm about 20 lbs too heavy and second my upper body strength, especially over my head is pretty sad.

I have been using Jump Stretch bands to assist me when I can't complete the Rx'd reps on Pull-ups. Is this ok? Is jumping better? I figure its better to do more reps even if some of my weight is supported to build strengh then only be able to do a couple of Pullups.

I did the WOD for Saturday the "Mary" yesterday and completed 4 rounds of pullups/ squats / HSPU and my lats are definitely sore today.

The nice thing about bands as they allow me to swing through the kip, so even as I fatigue I can still struggle through the reps.

Will I build enough strength to do them freestyle by using bands and progressively dropping the resistance level?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
Richard Hoar

Profile:

Aside from jumping pullups, little things like mixing up your grip may help you bang out an extra few during a set. Experiment with hand width, palms out, palms in, mixed, etc. Personally, I find a good way to share the load on your arms and lats is to do 1 set with say left palm in/right palm out and then reverse it on the next set. Play around to find out what works for you.

Also, "greasing the groove" ("GTG") helped me immensely in increasing pullup reps. If you have a bar in your home, just bang out a quick small set every time you pass by it. For example, in my apartment, I have a pullup bar in the doorway to my kitchen. Every time I go in an out, I would do an extremely manageable set like 3-5. However, for example, on a Saturday or Sunday when I'm running back and forth to the fridge during timeouts in football games, that may have added an additional 25 or 30 pullups for the day, which in the end translates into making those last few Fran pullups a whole lot easier...
Old 10-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #10
Brian De Mio

Profile:

You could try "Greasing the Groove" too. I hear thats a good way to improve pullups.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/69/

This is essentially the article describing it. There is another guy that did it (i forget the name) who basically did some pullups everytime he went in his basement and improved significantly. He has a good article on it but I cant seem to find it. As a matter of fact I think that on is on Dragondoor too.

Gahh he is listed at the end of the article heh

Last edited by Brian De Mio : 10-16-2007 at 11:29 AM.