CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
Casey Williams

Profile:
Olympic weightlifting books

I know that getting a coach is the best way to train for learning the olympic lifts....i was interested in getting some feedback on a couple of books. The Weightlifting Encyclopedia, and the second being Tommy Kono's book. Im asking because i see that one can pick up "TWE" on amazon for about $20.00 used and they also have a dvd for around $30.00. Tommy Kono's book is around $45.00 dollars now from what is website says...tommykono.com. That seems pretty expensive. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:41 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Olympic weightlifting books

Dan John's From the Ground Up is free on his site. (w/f safe) here's the link:

www.danjohn.org/bp.pdf

I haven't read through it yet, but I have skimmed it and it looks pretty good.

If you're looking for something more technical though some other people will probably chime in.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
Casey Williams

Profile:

Yeah i have his book and his DVD wich are pretty good but i was wanting to add something with alittle more depth. Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:09 AM   #4
Leslie Powell

Profile:

Weightlifting Encyclopedia is good, though very long and detailed. One aspect that I like (others may hate) is that Art is extremely evenhanded: he rarely comes out 100% for or against anything (that includes the evil leg press) but simply presents both sides of the case. Anyone looking for "do this, do that" may be disappointed. The DVD is ok, but could be better. Reading the whole thing really makes you aware that a real-life coach is needed at some point...books can only go so far.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

If it's the Weightlifting Encyclopedia I'm thinking about, I borrowed it from the library, and was like "hell no". There was absolutely zero chance of me reading that thing. I'm doing O-lifts for training for other sports and overall fitness, and if you are too, the Weightlifting Encyclopedia book by Dreschler is not for you in my opinion, unless you have trouble falling asleep at night.

If it's your sport, then by all means, I'm sure it's a great book. But for me, I'm about to finish Practical Programming, which has applicability to multiple sports in its information, and am waiting on the 2nd Edition of Starting Strength to come out so I can get it too.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
Arien Malec

Profile:

Agreed that the Encyclopedia is a bit too detailed and far less proscriptive than one needs to learn weightlifting.

I'd recommend Kono's book and Explosive Lifting for Sports by Newton.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:08 AM   #7
Carl Chia

Profile:

Anymore reviews/comments on the various OL books? Since I am on a budget, I just like to get one book for the moment. Probably get the others when I save up.

OL books:
- Weightlifting Encyclopedia
- Tommy Kono's WEIGHTLIFTING, OLYMPIC STYLE
- Essentials of Weightlifting and Strength Training by Mohamed F. El-Hewie
- Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches by Greg Everett
- Explosive Lifting for Sports

Can't decide which to buy first! Help me choose :P
Old 08-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

From what I know, Greg's book is the SS equivalent of WL'ing, so that's probably a good read.

Explosive Lifting for Sports, the book, is terrible. Stick with the DVD of it. It's 10x better.

El-Hewie's book is extraordinarly comprehensive. He goes through variations of body types and the mechanics from lift to lift for each body type, health conditions, causes and fixes for form issues (both on pulls and recoveries), posture, everything. This book is OVERWHELMING to say the least.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #9

Profile:

Carl -

I'm undeniably biased, but let me give you my perspective - I wrote my book quite literally because I was thoroughly disappointed in every other book on the market - they fall far short of helpful (yes, even the Encyclopedia and El-Hewie's) both for inexperienced and experienced lifters. Mine covers EVERYTHING you need from start to finish - it will help you understand the physics of the lifts and the reasoning behind the methods of teaching; it will run you through detailed learning progressions; it will further analyze the lifts and provide instruction on technical nuances; it will describe effective corrections for dozens of common errors; it will instruct you on a ton of the most important non-snatch/CJ exercises; it will go into great detail on developing programming as well as provide a number of sample programs; it will completely cover nutrition for weightlifting, including bodyweight control; it wlll show you how to develop the necessary flexibility; it will help you manage recovery; and on and on.

From people other than me -

“Without a doubt the best book on the market today about Olympic-style weightlifting. If I were teaching a college class, this would be the book I would have all my students buy.”

-Mike Burgener, USA Weightlifting senior international coach

"Simply the best book available on Olympic weightlifting. It took me years to acquire the information included in this book. Greg has ... compiled in one book the current accepted views and practices of today's elite lifters and coaches."

—Don Weideman, Vice President - Pacific Weightlifting Association

“I have purchased dozens of books over the past fifteen years on topics ranging from martial arts to elements of gymnastics and weightlifting. Most contain some useful information; however, few make the yearly cut when I weed through my bookshelf to make room for new material. Why? I can't look back at these books, year after year and find something new every time I open the page. This is not the case with Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches. Everett’s book is unique in that it is concise, yet thorough. Anyone from a raw beginner to the elite level competitor will find something new in this book every time they open its pages. Everett’s strengths are his attention to detail and intelligent, accessible progressions. You will love this book, and it will never end up at the used bookstore.”

—Robb Wolf, NorCal Strength & Conditioning

http://www.performancemenu.com/zen/i...roducts_id=155
Old 08-25-2008, 08:17 AM   #10
Carl Chia

Profile:

Ok, you got me convinced. haha

Am going to get the others anyway..