CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Kyle Sattgast

Profile:
Ideas to improve running

I've known this for a while, I suck at running. I've always had issues with it when it came up in WODs. I'll admit, I need to stop avoiding those 5k's when they show their ugly face. However my thoughts today are more along the lines of how to improve the shorter interval runs (400s, 800s). I did Nancy the other day for the first time (I was more worried about the OHS then the running, however my fears about the OHS were calmed after the first round), I hit approx 23 minutes. I know that which held back my time was my run. My question is this: Has anyone put 100m sprints into the BB and had success with them carrying over to the 400s and 800s? My idea was just to replace a lift with the sprints and see how it goes. I figure 10 100m every 3 WOD cycles. I really don't have the ability to accurately time them so I won't, I'll just do them as hard as I can. If anyone has expierence with this protocol, or anything similiar (ie improving your 400m time) let me know. Either way I'll let you all know how this goes. So in about 9 WOD cycles I will run Nancy again and let you know how it went. CF has turned my body into an ongoing experiement. I love it. KS
Old 09-23-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
Richard Gonzalez

Profile:
Re: Ideas to improve running

Kyle,

I love your black box approach. I am also interested to see if your 100 meter intervals transfer over. I don't see why not.

Although I don't have much experience in improving my 200/400m time, I have noticed that sprinting 200/400/800m has improved my 5k time.

In my experience, I can recover more quickly doing 400/800m repeats, than running a 5k for max effort. This allows me to train for speed more often rather than once every couple of weeks.

Please let me know how your running works out, and how well you are recovered for the following days workout.

Last edited by Richard Gonzalez : 09-23-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
Kevin Platt

Profile:

Kyle

I think if you check out the CrossFit journal part of the web-site you should find an article by Tony Leyland entitled Why You Should Sprint Train from the May 2007 issue. It outlines some good exercises/concepts about Sprint training that you may find useful in your efforts.

Cheers
Old 09-24-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
Paul Mirek

Profile:

Try 10-second hill repeats. Fast and short...that's the key. Max intensity and effort will produce benefits in speed and overall running ability. These fit well into the CrossFit ideal too by being short and sweet.

A suggested starting point is to add these to short, easy runs (two a week). During each session, run 2 ten-second hill sprints followed by a 2-minute rest between sprints. Walk backwards down the hill to keep pressure off the knees which will get very shaky. Each week you add another hill sprint until you reach 8 ten-second hill sprints.

If you want to know the detailed benefits and reasoning behind this method, check out this website. Again, I think it fits well into CrossFit if you want a practical way to improve your running.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...2079-0,00.html (wfs)

Let us know how it goes and what improvements you see after some time.

Paul Mirek
http://mrmirek.blogspot.com (wfs)
Old 09-24-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
Mike Deavers

Profile:

Good morning, all. As a CF'er and active road runner/racer, I've started incorporating quite a bit of Elliptical training into my schedules. You can ramp up the RPMs, do both solid hill and tempo work, all without impact. Just a suggestion. Merely a way to get more time on your feet without the pounding. It can also be a smoker if you let it. Have a great day.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Alan Kalbarczyk

Profile:

Sprint forward sprint backward rest 10-20sec reapeat 10x's.
I used to do this on hills and flat ground.

Now that I live in FL Im confined to a Ballys
I use a treadmill, I start at 10mph for 1min
then to 11mph for the next min then up to 12 for the next 2 minutes
(the treadmill only goes up to 12mph) after 4mins Im done.

My goal is 5mins @ 12mph nonstop, I dont know if Ill ever achieve it
but Im gonna try.

The last 2mins are sprints since my legs just cant go anymore but
I stay on at the very least 10secs then rest no more then 10secs.

That last min is rough.

I do this 3-5 days a week after my wods.
Depending on the wod like after Filthy Fifty, no way.

Everyone is different and this is what works for me.
Good luck.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Deavers View Post
Good morning, all. As a CF'er and active road runner/racer, I've started incorporating quite a bit of Elliptical training into my schedules. You can ramp up the RPMs, do both solid hill and tempo work, all without impact. Just a suggestion. Merely a way to get more time on your feet without the pounding. It can also be a smoker if you let it. Have a great day.
Mike, other then used for rehab, Elliptical is a worthless piece of equipment. Ranks right up there with a stepper. Suggest you search the boards as this has been discussed at length. Most CF'rs that had them have pitched them or use them to hang clothes on. You are not moving weight, the machine is doing the work.

Don't want to sound harsh or an a_ _ hole, but if you want to get strong and fast, hill repeats, intervals, or flat out speed work, an of course, Squats and Deadlifts!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
Mike Deavers

Profile:

No problem, Jay. Just putting out what has worked for me. I found the Elliptical to a great recovery activity and credit it with contributing to my sub 18min 5K's and sub 37min 10K. I incorporate them into marathon training as well, just food for thought. I'm no expert.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Smoking times, great job. If Ellip works for you, go for it.
Thanks for being a good guy.
Good luck in your racing season. hope you stay injury free.

Jay
Old 09-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #10
Mike Deavers

Profile:

Anything, anytime to help anyone get to running and running well. I figure everything adds to the soup. The track beats me up, but solid pullup routines, ample rest, and hard distance made things come together for me. Take care, ya'll.