CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
Slow Food - Local Food

After reading An Omnivore's Dilemma and examining my checking account balance after shopping at Whole Foods, I find myself intrigued by the concept of eating local.

You wonder why healthy food costs so much until you realize that most of the stuff in a Whole Foods, Wild Oats type store isn't in season in your neck of the wooods.

I've found some articles on when vegeteables are typically available in MO, but I'm having trouble finding anything on meat. For instance, is it normal to have beef and pork available all year round? Or are they normally available 'fresh' during a certain period of the year?

I know from speaking with my mom that in the winter they ate meat that they kept in the smokehouse and relied on canned goods a lot.

Anyway, just looking for existing resources or incite people may have on the topic. Integration thinking with the Zone/Paleo a +.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 08-22-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: Slow Food - Local Food

Have you read "Lights out: sleep sugar survival"? They cover this exact topic in some detail.

The gist of it is that they hypothesize what a paleo diet looked like based on the seasons. Very low carb in the winter (b/c no fruits were available), with more fruit in the summer. Meat all the time, as one could always hunt. There's a lot more to it so I'd recommend getting the book from the library. They do a good job of linking together a lot of evolutionary details in the formation of their hypothesis.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
Eric Lester

Profile:

I believe cattle and pig are only slaughtered at one point during the year (but am not positive). However, if you have a deep freeze you can snag some local meat and have it to eat on all year round.

I am about halfway through Omnivore's Dilemma and am loving it. Great book.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Eric,

I just finished Omnivore's Dilemma myself. Great read and makes me all the more determined to avoid factory farmed meat. I've recently located a couple of local grass-fed meat sources and have been buying free-range eggs at my grower's market. Check out eatwild.org http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html (W/F Safe). You can search for grass-fed meat producers in your area. I think small producers have more latitude in when animals are slaughtered, and there's always the freezer. Good Luck.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

Here in Sacramento we call Whole Foods, "Whole Paycheck". They are overpriced to say the least.

Look for farmer's markets/farmers by county rather then city on the net.

You can always try Trader Joe's. They have some awesome deals, and I don't end up spending an arm and a leg there. There is one in St. Louis (address and phone via the Trader Joe's website):

48 Brentwood Promenade Court
Brentwood, MO 63144
314-963-0253
9 am - 9 pm

Hope this helps!
Old 08-24-2007, 03:23 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Whole Food is a nice store but it's niche is those with the big bucks compared to Trader Joes. A'body can shop for just as cheap with better quality than Sam's Club/Walmart or Winco at Trader Joes. Besides I hate Sam's Club and Walmart. However Trader Joes can get pricey if you get the more fancy stuff though Whole Foods I think caters to a higher price niche.

Thanks for that link, Sam. It seems way cheaper to get a side of beef though we might need another freezer before doing so. I never see any butchery stores anymore so I didn't think of that as an option.