CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-12-2007, 06:42 AM   #1
Sean Mason

Profile:
'ello,

My name is Sean Mason, and I've been lurking the forums for a year now. I was hoping to introduce myself and ask a question with this post.

I was working on a friend's farm when I learned about CrossFit. We had been digging holes for fence post using an auger (think of an oversized lawnmower engine attached to a drill). After several hours in the VA sun, we were drenched in sweat. I was really feeling good, we had gotten a done lot of digging and had an excellent workout.

My friend, Doug, started talking about CrossFit. He explained that each workout has the same feeling of effort and accomplishment. He was recently retired from the Navy, and had learned about Xfit from some FBI personnel he had worked with, who had learned it from some other military folk, so needless to say I was curious.

So I went home and looked it up. Many of the concepts laid out in the "What is CrossFit?" PDF were self-evident. Of course, there was stuff I'd never heard of. I've heard bromide for years going to the gym like "don't sit at the machines; keep you heart going," "start at the core and work out," and the classic "bodybuilders just look strong" while the guy's doing isosceles workouts. CrossFit was the culmination of a lot of ideas most gym-goers wax platitudinously about, but rarely assemble into a clear concept, let alone follow.

The first WOD I ever did was Fran, finished with jumping pullups, and 75# thrusters in about 15min. Finishing was the best feeling in the world. That was one year ago, and I haven't looked back since. I feel the same sense of accomplishment with each workout.

Before, I was the typical gym rat. I went to the gym three times a week, ran twice a week, and told myself I was doing better than all the "other" guys. I'm hoping to join the USMC after college, and the routines of yore didn't work. Since starting CrossFit, I've gone from 8 to 15 pullups, improved my run time, and feel much healthier.

CrossFit just seems so logical. I can't figure out why most people I tell about Xfit don't seem convinced. Instead of asking why most people don't respond to CrossFit, I'd like to ask "Why did you?"

-Sean
Old 06-12-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
Chris Lackey

Profile:
Ok I knew of cf for almost two years before I started which was just two weeks ago. I would say I am pretty educated in this area and CF really challenged a lot of what I thought I knew. But once I completed 2 or 3 of the WOD I became hooked. Also I was a gym rat yet I still didn't preform a lot of the olympic lifts ie..clean, deadlift, snatch. So they were a little intimidating at first until you get the good form down. Hope this helps
chris
Old 06-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
Roark Marsh

Profile:
Because lifting gets boring.

I had been doing a few years of bodybuilding type workouts. I had got off all the machines, and had moved most of my barbell exercises to dumbbells, and got bored after I started benching 225. That had been a goal for a while, but afterwards, I was left with a what now feeling. I had set a goal and reached it, and the future seemed like the same, set goal, reach, set new goal. It seemed boring.

So I started O-lifting. No coaching, a couple of books, and a lot of lifting later, I was closing in on my new goal of C&J, and Snatching my weight. Got real close, with horrific form, when I stumbled across crossfit looking for snatch videos. Stayed and went through just about every video on the exercise page. Next day at the gym was nothing but towel pullups and rowing. By the next week I had made rings and got my butt handed to me by the ring dip. I worked on crossfit basics for a month, learning new exercises, and then jumped right in. After figuring out how much to scale, it's been pretty smooth since then.

I got my brother into a crossfit gym recently, and it hasn't really stuck for him. I think that what matters is that crossfit fits your own realizations. If you just need to get in shape, anything can fit that, and you can be convinced of its efficacy. If you reach a plateau, or have big weak spots, something like crossfit can fix that up, and you're converted.

Great thread.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
Kellee Rassau

Profile:
Variety, structure (WOD is posted for you), don't need a lot of expensive equipment, the benchmark workouts are a great challenge, etc.. CrossFit to me is another variation of the USMC Daily 16, another great way to stay in shape. One of my co-workers who is a gym rat like myself introduced me to Xfit, and a few guys on the SRT team at work are doing Xfit, too. I know from playing ice hockey for 10 years as a goalie that core strength and explosive strength are key. Xfit meets my needs for my career and my hobbies. Sorry if the post seems scattered, haven't had my coffee yet.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Its been nearly 1 year for me (June 22nd). I heard about Cf through my friend and his wife who had heard about Crossfit from their SEAL friend.

I was not a gym rat but owned a membership. I would go to the gym because I knew I needed to, but once inside I was bored, constantly looking at the clock wondering when I could get the hell out of there.

I remember my first workout, Tabata something else, with squats, pushups, pullups and situps I believe. I was not REMOTELY prepared for how hard it was going to be and how much of a soft doofus I really was. After that I spent the next month scaling ALOT and watching every Crossfit video I could get my hands on.

The community is also great! Where else can you go where you can post your new PR, first Muscle-up, or HSPU and get a bunch of enthusiastic responses that encourage you to keep going! Only here I say!

Its funny, I am SO into this and I have always just expected everyone else to completely go nuts over this when I explain it to them. Even with the people that you get to try it with you, most just arent ready for the commitment or dont have the same goals as you and they quit after a week. I even had a friend, personal trainer, that I got into Crossfit. He did it for a couple of weeks before declaring that it did not do enough for his hamstrings and raw strength. WTF?! Whatever!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
Sean Mason

Profile:
Thanks Chris, Roark, Kellee, and Nick for posting.

Okay current concensus seems to be:
1)It's way different
2)O-Lifts are good
3)It a means to a lifestyle
4)The community is a big boost

Kellee, I had to see what happens after you have caffine.

(Message edited by opsis on June 12, 2007)
Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
John McBrien

Profile:
The Coach's focus on function hooked me the moment I read "What is fitness?" I'm personally a competitive person so knowing that CF will punish my deficiencies and help me improve my overall GPP was enough motivation.

It is also a constant check on my fitness level. CF makes the term "fit" more than relative by giving me skills and benchmarks to constantly work towards. With CF I want to continuously improve and I have measurable results.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
what attracted me was the Crossfit philosophy of functional strength. that is in-line with my training mentality.

IMO, gym strength rarely seems to lead to an increase in functional strength outside of the gym.

the beauty of CrossFit is that it leads to an increase in General Physical Preparedness (GPP)that allows one to be able to do the physical tasks around the house much more easily.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Fun workouts!
Old 06-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #10
Sean Mason

Profile:
John and Franklin,
I agree, the functional aspect is very appealing. What kind of goals are you going for?

P.S.
John -- PM sent