CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
Jonas Cronfeld

Profile:
I have a dream - and I have a plan. That's a good combination.

I'm starting right now buying all the stuff I need for the new gym - in about 2 months I will have all the most importent stuff and enough to do almost all the WODs. When I have the equipment I need to start up I will find a location here in Copenhagen (Denmark) that will be big enough to provide space for (r)evolution over the next couple of years, and small enough that I can at least break even with a comparatively small client base. I will then become a Crossfit affiliate and prepare for the grand opening.

When the gym is ready and the affiliation proces is approved I will find 10 highly motivated people that is ready to change. It will be people who is in bad shape. These 10 people will be my focus for the first at least 3 months. They will recieve 1-on-1 training at every workout following the 3-on-1-off protocol. They will recieve full nutrition guidance with weakly review and follow-up based on their goals. Since they will be training 1-on-1 I will arrange a weakly event with focus on team/community-building combined with a lecture on fitness, nutrition or personal development. I will feature every attendee on the website will full development curves and logging. They will pay a fixed monthly price for all of this which will be about 185$ a month.

That will make my gym break-even very fast and give a little surplus that I will use to develop further. It will also give me 10 well documented cases that will attract a lot of attention. During the first couple of months the above-mentioned will be my focus and the gym will probably be closed to everone else except for people that I will give free trial sessions (journalists, fitness experts etc.) to help me spread the word. That will give me time and peace to develop the gym in a healthy way. In this period I will promote the gym like crazy and build a solid waiting list. When enough interest is generated I will reassess the approach and open the gym to a larger crowd with more models for them to choose from. From there I will see how everything goes and find out in which way the gym should develop.

All my costs of living is covered from other sources of income, so in the beginning I don't have to think about how to survive. Later on when everything goes great I will turn a profit and make it my primary livelihood.

I'm (almost) 21 years old and have the paramount passion and experience for/in fitness, nutrition, helping other people and making the world a better place. I've started several businesses and sold off some of them. I know how to found and grow a business. I have an education with the main field of studies: business studies, project management, communication, dissemination and concept development. I got the highest possible grade for my final examination, which is a rarity. I have a rock solid general business network, and an reasonable network in the danish fitness and nutrition community. I'm not Crossfit certified but will attend when there's an available spot. A couple of weeks ago I visited Crossfit San Francisco which was a very good experience. Combined I have about 7 months of Crossfit experience. On to that I have about 4-5 years of other fitness experience - the latest of them with kettlebells in which I got training from Sr. RKC instructors. On to that I have experience with ice hockey, track and field, MMA, boxing, road cycling, mountainbiking, swimming and so on. And of course I have a strong body with low body fat :showoff: I have coach experience but have never earned money that way.

What do you think about my plan? Any feedback, criticism and suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thanks to all of you for making this possible :happy:

All the best,

Jonas
Old 08-13-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:
Jonas!

That's awesome news, it's sweet that Crossfit is coming to Europe.

I'm ever so close to opening the doors here in Ireland, and it's great to see other people in Europe bring the revolution. Plus, I've never been to Copenhagen, so here's my excuse!

Shoot me a mail at oreilly dot colm at gmail dot com if you have any questions or just want to chat. I reckon the more connected us European affiliates are the quicker we'll grow, spread the word and help more people!
Old 08-13-2007, 03:37 AM   #3
Jonas Cronfeld

Profile:
Colm - you rock! It must be a very exicting time for you right now. I've just seen your new space and it seems perfect. I'll definitely send you an e-mail and come visit you.

All the best,

Jonas
Old 08-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
Jonas Cronfeld

Profile:
I've just ordered for about $3000 very great ELEIKO gear... I already have kettlebells and rings - a few thousand dollars more and we're good to go. I can't wait to get started! :biggrinthumb: