CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-29-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
I'm really interested in the low back decompression and posterior chain development touted by Louie Simmons for the reverse hyper. He's not your everyday Internet fitness shyster, at least.

However, I searched through the message board and the WOD archives, and what I found was a comment from the Glassmans about "we'll let you know" whether the Reverse Hyper was worth the floor space and expense to add one at CFHQ.

I never saw a followup posting from the Glassmans.

Does anyone know what conclusion they came to? I'm considering improvising a strap-based model with U-bolts, a piece of plywood of the appropriate dimensions, and bolted/reinforced 4x4's (or, if I can find heavy gauge square tubing, welding a steel frame to spec -- my MIG welder can handle down to about 11 gauge steel). If an older RH machine comes up for auction on eBay, I've set up a search for that, too. But mostly, I'm interested in whether people doing heavy front squats, deads, etc. found it

1) worthwhile (beneficial, aids progress, etc.)
2) frequently used (I have a one-car garage gym)
3) worth the expense (if I were to buy a real RH).

Any comments/considerations/conclusions?

Much obliged,

--tim
Old 08-29-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Tim,

Louie gave me one of his new model reverse hypers to test about a year ago. We used it with almost all the athletes I train, and i really, really like it. I honestly think it prevents injuries, and I can say with 100% confidence that the couple of people who had sore/hurt lower backs and used the machine really got a lot of help from it.

As an Olympic weightlifting coach, I would have to rate the reverse hyper as the FIRST piece of equipment I would buy after the neccessary items like bars, weights, pulling blocks had been purchased.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
Allan Fisher

Profile:
In a similar vein, I'd be interested in a comparison by the knowledgeable between the reverse hyper and the glute-ham raise.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
Well, that settles it then. I built a GHD out of a sawhorse, 40# heavy bag, comealongs, and pipe flanges for counterweights (will post pictures -- it actually works really friggin well, except I can't do eg. medicine ball toss situps without moving it), so the first step will be to get dimensions for the Reverse Hyper. Then maybe I'll buy the Real Thing if I can get a sane price on it -- I know cheating Louie out of the fruits of his invention is terrible, but I'm po'.

Glenn, would you happen to know (or estimate) the width and length of the torso pad on your Reverse Hyper? It looks like the torso pad is the only dimension I actually need to know to build one. I promise, if a real Reverse Hyper comes up on eBay, I'll buy it. But while I wait for that to happen I'm going to construct one from 2x6's, pipe, and pillow block bearings. (Based on the original strap design, using bearings for the pendulum arm)

Much obliged -- my back is looking forward to it.

ps. I am extremely happy with the Pendlay bar that you sold me. It feels just like the old York olympic bars I learned on -- which is to say, the nicest bars I've ever used. Even my wife notices the difference now that she's doing cleans. Thank you for bringing a great bar to market at a good price. I hope others will recognize its value.