CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-15-2005, 02:57 AM   #1
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
HELP i have out grown my deck.:-)
For the last month or so i have been using a Reebock deck to do my box jumps on its 14inchs high.
But in the last few workouts i have noticed it is no longer a chanllenge to reach the top and i want to get a box made.
I was thinking of having duel use box with hights of 18 "x 20" x 24".
Does anyone have or know where i can get a plan for one and what are the recommended materials? I figure it has to be relativly strong seeing it will be used for jumps.
I'm kind of a Girly girl when it comes to things like this but i know a builder who will help me if i can give him a plan.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:04 AM   #2
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
i have 4 boxes of various sizes and i just cut the sizes needed and glued and screwed them together. 5 peices of 3/4 plywood per box with the bottom open. i didnt use any support on the inside and they do fine holding my 225 jumping up and down on them. my largest is about 40" and i can be a pain to move. hope that helps
Old 07-15-2005, 08:07 AM   #3
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Fiona,

I used a near-identical design to that of Tanner's. I only had 1/2" plywood lying around so I doubled-layered it just to make sure. I also added 2x4 support within the box. I made one 24"x24" and the other 16"x16". The smaller can be 'stored' under the larger if you're concerned about space. Combine these two boxes with a stair (7") and a bench (20") and you have a nice range of heights in case you have workout partners of varying abilities. Here's some pics:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/11898.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/11899.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/11900.jpg

The 'handles' are a little sloppy (made with a one inch drill bit and never sanded out), but useable.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 07-15-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Thanks guys, that helps heaps
Old 07-15-2005, 02:28 PM   #5
Dan Silver

Profile:

Or you can just put your step-up thing on a riser, like the curb.

-D.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
James Falkner

Profile:
I use concrete blocks. Six of em, stacked opposite of each other, form a nice 24" box:

[code]
----- -----
| | | |
----- -----
-----------
| |
| |
-----------
----- -----
| | | |
----- -----
[/code]

Of course, if you miss, and scrape your shins down them, it'll hurt like a SOB.. don't miss :-)
Old 07-16-2005, 05:59 AM   #7
Steve Seckinger

Profile:
I made a 20" cube out of 3/4" plywood. Biggest issues for me was cutting the sides and top panels exactly square. The measurements were fine, but the box wobbles a bit. Search the web for cutting plywood at square angles - there's lots of tricks for that I discovered too late for this box. The box works fine on the lawn though, which is a little uneven.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:44 PM   #8
Dan Silver

Profile:

I made a plyo-box last week out of an old modular cabinet from some cheap-furniture manufacturer. I just grabbed two boards and nailed 'em to one side, across the open area. Works well and it's sturdy. Purchase grip-tape from any skateboarding shop and cut to fit your landing area. Takes about thirty seconds to do and really helps one feel confident about the landing, especially when you're all sweaty.

-D.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:06 PM   #9
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/11946.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/11947.jpg

3/4 inch plywood is the way to go. Measure twice or three times if you are one of the carpentry impaired and use a table saw for the cuts...a Skillsaw won't make for square edges. Elmer's glue on both surfaces but rather than bothering to clamp, use screws and wipe off the glue that oozes out of the edges. Make a single hand carry hole on the top of small boxes and two on opposite sides of the large boxes. I just drilled a couple holes through the edge and made a loop of bicycle innertube for the carry handles. Radius and sand the edges, sand the surfaces smooth and paint them so you feel pretty when you work out. Go to the paint section of Home Depot for the non slip tape. Radius the edges of the tape so the corners don't peel up over time. I sized my boxes so I can nestle two yellows under the red, another yellow under the blue, the green on top of the blue and the 4th yellow on top of the green.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:30 AM   #10
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
I used a couple of spare tires with rims that I had in my shed. They're truck tires so 2 stacked on top of each other is 24". It was free because they were already in the shed. Just a little "paradigm breaking" that saved me some construction. I think it may bother my wife a little when she see's me building stuff for my gym but not fixing my house.

Jeremy