CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
So lately I've been trying my best to stick to the zone, and using Fitday to track it, and going back over the last couple days, it seems like every single friggin' thing out there has too much fat in it. I mean, hard boiled eggs to get protein... nope, fat. Peanut butter... fat. Cheese, fat. Nuts, fat. Ground beef, fat.

I mean, here, check out my tracking of yesterday (the only day I got around to actually putting into my fitday account...)
http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=barwick&Year=2007&Month= 2 &Day=26

I know the macadamia nuts are high in fat, but they were eaten 2 or 3 at a time when I was eating another snack (like the cookie... mother in law gave us a bunch and I hadn't eaten any in forever... mmm..) to balance out the carbs.

My day went like this:
Two pieces of whole weat toast and 2 tbsp peanut butter for breakfast.
Ate an XS pre-workout bar between breakfast and lunch
Lunch was all the boston market stuff you see. Apparently the dressing is lotsa fat huh? *sigh*
Snack between lunch/dinner was one cookie and 3 or so macadamia nuts.
Dinner was 7 medium tacos. Now how the heck do taco shells have that much friggin' fat in them?
After dinner snack was another cookie and a hardboiled egg.

It just ticks me off, I don't quite know what to do, I suppose I could have just had no dressing on the salad, but that wouldn't have changed things all that much. Same with the nuts, but then the snack wouldn't have been balanced at all. I dunno, it just seems stupid... by the numbers, most of these foods are bad for you, but if I came to you and said that yesterday I ate "toast, peanut butter, eggs, nuts, salad, chicken, mixed veggies, green beans, tacos with lean beef, and a protein bar and two cookies as snacks", you'd most likely say "wow, you did well for yourself". But according to the stupid friggin' numbers...
Old 03-27-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Matt, have you downloaded Crossfit Journal #21 yet? It has a ton of meal choices organized by block count (3 block breakfast, lunch, dinner - 4 block B, L, D - etc) It also has snack combo's.

I have been using it for the last 2 weeks and it is a HUGE help.

I hope that it helps you.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Why are you trying to go without fat? Dietary fat is an important part of the entire Zone prescription. It sounds as if you are confused as to the system in general. To sum it up: split your plate into thirds, 1/3 should be lean protein, 2/3 should be fruits and veggies, and then add monounsaturated fat. So on this note, I'll critique what you did eat:

"Two pieces of whole wheat toast and 2 tbsp peanut butter for breakfast. (no appreciable protein, but 4 blocks of carbs and 4 blocks of fat. You need egg-whites, chicken, lean beef, etc. and would do better to drop the toast altogether and switch to a couple of pieces of fruit)
Ate an XS pre-workout bar between breakfast and lunch (No idea what this contains, but I would assume it's too high in carbohydrates and too low in fat altogether. A good snack would be 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese, an apple and some olive oil or a small handful of almonds)
Lunch was all the boston market stuff you see. Apparently the dressing is lotsa fat huh? *sigh* (Once again, not sure what "all the boston market stuff you see" means, but you can do OK here. Choose some slow-cooked chicken and some veggies. Yes it has fat in it, which means you probably don't need to add any more to supplement this meal)
Snack between lunch/dinner was one cookie and 3 or so macadamia nuts. (Once again, no protein, refined carbohydrate source, and a good fat. Keep the macadamia nuts, lose the cookie, and add a small tuna salad with some carrot sticks or a small ceasar with chicken breast and a touch of dressing)
Dinner was 7 medium tacos. Now how the heck do taco shells have that much friggin' fat in them? (I'm not so worried about the fat here as 7 taco shells worth of carbohydrates...once again a refined carbohydrate source with little nutritional value. From a quick search, 7 taco shells would equal 91 GRAMS OF CARBS! That alone is 10 blocks, at least half of a normal day for a man. I'm like a broken record, but take the ground beef, mix it with some steamed veggies, add olive oil and spices, and have a small fruit salad for desert.)
After dinner snack was another cookie and a hardboiled egg. (Egg...not so bad...cookie, you know what I'm going to say.)

So, the moral of the story? Don't be afraid of fat, it's VERY important for a variety of cellular functions and is absolutely necessary to lose weight and function properly. Pick up a copy of Mastering the Zone and read AT LEAST the first 4 chapters to get an understanding. Remember, lean protein is the backbone of every meal, fruits and vegetables round it out, then you finish with nuts and seeds and healthy oil. }
Old 03-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Eat fat and enjoy it, lose every trace of refined carbs and the fat will fall off your body.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Jesse, thanks for the info. I think you missed a good chunk of my post, with the part containing a link to my fitday account for that particular day. It'd answer a lot of the questions you were unsure about. Let me go back over it here:

I know about the toast, but my particular needs are that of an athlete that burns about 800-900 calories on the ice in one skating session. Typically I skate five days a week. I need something besides just fruit (which has fructose, and only the liver can convert this into glycogen) to restore muscle glycogen quickly.

The XS bar is actually very balanced. 6g fat, 19g carbs, 15g protein. And it actually tastes good too, strange for those things...

what other ones...

The macadamia nuts have protein in them, although a ton more fat than protein. I think I just need to cook up a few chicken breasts every few days, slice them up, and stick them in the fridge.

Dinner, I've calculated the carbs in 7 taco shells to be 58g of carbs. The entire meal was:
fat/carbs/protein
21/58/7 - Taco shells
38/0/51 - Meat
15/0/12 - Cheese
74/58/70 - Total
So this meal was WAY heavy on the fat calories, and even imbalanced towards protein when you look at the carb/protein ratio.

I'm not so much afraid of fat, but it just seems that over half of my calories that day came from fat, and it *seemed* like I ate good if you looked at what I ate (as far as fat is concerned).

Now the other question, when calculating 30/30/40% do you count calories from each item (fat as 9, carbs as 4, protein as 4) or do you count the total number of grams of each for 30/30/40%?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Also, what do you mean peanut butter (and nuts) have no protein in them?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Ok, now I'm even more ticked... I just made up some hummous and calculated everything out based on the ingredients, and the frickin' olive oil shoots the fat through the roof. One serving of what I typically eat is 8 fat, 19 carbs, 7 protein (chickpeas apparently have decent protein in them). This means that I'm getting 72 calories from fat, 76 from carbs, and 28 from protein when I eat hummous. This whole fat thing is ticking me off... it seems next to impossible for me to get to only 30% of my calories from fat, because everything "healthy" has fat in it, nuts, olive oil on/in things, eggs, whatever...

And finally, what is the problem with eating whole wheat (3g fiber/90 calories) breads when combining it with other things? Why is whole wheat like the devil all of a sudden with everyone today? Eating fruit is just as "bad" in its concentration of carbs vs fiber, plus fruit is already broken down as mostly sugars, and therefore absorbs more readily, where whole wheat has to be digested into simple carbs. It would seem that combining say 20g carbs from whole wheat bread would be actually better for the zone than eating 20g carbs from say an apple (so long as you're getting all the other necessary nutrients and vitamins from another source)
Old 03-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Ok, my like billionth post on this... sorry...

Now I look over the CFJ 21 (at least the front page for now) and see that I did mostly what it said, and I still came out WAY heavy on the fat, and LIGHT on the carbs. If I hadn't deviated, I would have been even lower on the carbs. What the heck gives?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #9
Scott Clark

Profile:

What makes you think you are so high in fat? Why are you under the assumption that high fat is bad?

My advice is to lose the grain/corn products for starters, then make good fats as much a priority as lean protein. At 2800 + calories a day, you're going to have to eat a lot of fat to get the calories *if* you ditch the crap in your diet (bread,cookies, taco shells). Up your frut, too.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Matt,
From what I remember on many food items you count the primary macronutrient in it. Yes peanut butter has protien in it but to simplify you just count it as a fat, since that is the main macro.

For example I ate 1 cup of peas 20G carbs, 1 gram fat and 8 grams protien. I ignore the protien and fat and just count it for 2 blocks of carbs.

I also had one small serving of tuna 16 grams protien (2 blocks)

and 1.2 oz of almonds 16 grams fat 5 blocks

I count this snack as 2 blocks (at 2.5 x fat) My meals consist of 2-5x perscribed fat. This is on purpose and it keeps my weight where I want it. If I wanted to lose I would lower fat to perscribed levels.

Heavy on the fat is what most athletes will end up needing. If you are active and eat zone you will lose weight you need to up the fat.

I hope this makes sense? It does help to clarify if you check the Zone books out of the library or purchase and read through them at least once.