CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #11
Allen Tluczek

Profile:
Re: Running shoes!

I'm hardly a runner, but I finished my first half marathon in September in Vibrams. Instead of looking for motion control and orthotics, possibly caused by the shoes, fix the problem.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I just have a pair of Puma Turin's. Before that I had Under Armour running shoes. I guess I don't get picky with them.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #13
Guy Erez

Profile:

Well, I bought shoes in a shop which analyzes your feet, and how you walk, your center of gravity and stuff like that, and by checking this data, the shop provides you with shoes which best fit your structure, running type, etc.

I'm pretty sure that if we got it in Israel, you probably have it in your country.

P.S, referring to the guy who said he does Oly lifts with his running shoes.., doesn't it feel like a b1***?, I mean, squatting with shoes with a jumpy soft sole (the thing at the bottom where you have your shock absorbers, as far as I can recall, Rip said its best to squat with shoes with a hard sole)

Last edited by Guy Erez : 10-18-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #14
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Erez View Post
Well, I bought shoes in a shop which analyzes your feet, and how you walk, your center of gravity and stuff like that, and by checking this data, the shop provides you with shoes which best fit your structure, running type, etc.
Again, to be quite honest, I am not sure how this is anything more than marketing. The place I go to does this as well, but I pass.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
Guy Erez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Tluczek View Post
Again, to be quite honest, I am not sure how this is anything more than marketing. The place I go to does this as well, but I pass.
Well, it does sound like bull, but frankly it seems some shoes have different aspects, which fit different people.

Thing is, they do it for free, and you don't really have to buy shoes in their place, so.. it doesn't seem like marketing to me.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #16
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Why are shoes blamed for poor running technique? Shoes do not make a person land on their heel.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #17
Todd Crawford

Profile:

I do a lot of trail running, and all I've worn for the past 3 or 4 years have various generations of Adidas Khandia TR - I've worn them on some road runs as weel with no problems. Light as a feather.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #18
LG_Departed

Profile:  

Thanks for all the feedback. I am interested in running in VFFs but would like something to get me through the winter.... I can't imagine having a good experience starting out with vibrams when there's snow on the ground... I think I'll save those for the spring. I have heard a lot of good things about Nike Free's.... might give those a shot
Old 10-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #19
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Why are shoes blamed for poor running technique? Shoes do not make a person land on their heel.
If they didn't, there would be no reason to have to teach people to strike midfoot. Look at children, or people who have run barefoot all their lives. A very large majority of them will not heel strike, with no run training at all. Look at almost everyone out running in a 5K weekend race. After the fastest 10%, and even some of them, everyone will be landing on their heel unless they specifically train that away. Yes, it's just a tool (that makes things worse, in my opinion) but a tool that lends itself specifically to a certain kind of use.
Heavily padded shoes additionally force the runner to land harder, and the heavier the padding the worse it is. The foot looks for a stable platform, and the more padding it has to get through the harder it will try to find that rigidity.

Laura- they have a variety of models of VFF, some with neoprene uppers that keep feet much warmer than typical mesh-topped running shoes. You can also wear socks with Vibrams. Although, if there is ice, I'd much rather be wearing regular shoes with Yaktraks...

Last edited by Allen Tluczek : 10-19-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #20
David Lampp

Profile:

I recently got a pair of Inov8 F lite 230's and absolutely love them. I doubt I'll ever buy a different type of running shoes again. I've never tried Vibrams, though, so can't really compare.