CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
Guy Erez

Profile:
Re: Squats sub'

I was referring to the Power clean, as far as I know the power clean does not require a rack, since you start from the floor, right?

What do you mean by:

"rather than combining all the pullups or dip reps and doing them in a row."
I thought that was what I described.

Do you mean actual sets? 1 muscle-up= 3 pullups (60 second rest), 3 dips (60 second rest) and so on?

And regarding the power clean, your right, I will do that, time to quit the excuses.

Last edited by Guy Erez : 10-13-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Erez View Post
I was referring to the Power clean, as far as I know the power clean does not require a rack, since you start from the floor, right?
Yea, sorry I was trying to address both items, the point being that the lack of rack shouldn't prohibit you from doing anything at this point. As a beginner main focus is on form, you aren't/shouldn't be doing 1RM work at this point, so anything can be done without one at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Erez View Post
What do you mean by:

"rather than combining all the pullups or dip reps and doing them in a row."
I thought that was what I described.

Do you mean actual sets? 1 muscle-up= 3 pullups (60 second rest), 3 dips (60 second rest) and so on?
No, I mean that if the wod calls for 3 muscle ups, then someone might try to combine all the reps and do 9 pullups then 9 dips, but that wouldn't be correct. It has to go as you said 3 pullups, 3 dips, 3 pullups, 3 dips... etc.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
Brian Bedell

Profile:

"And regarding the power clean, your right, I will do that, time to quit the excuses."

Sweet! 3, 2, 1, go! lol
Old 10-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
Guy Erez

Profile:

Well, im not a complete beginner, I just suck at endurance.
Been lifting for about 2 years, main problem was I ate practically nothing, at first I did, and thats where the most of gains come from, the rest went very slowly overtime.

Anyway, next workout regardless of the WOD I'm gonna practice the Power Clean.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #15
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

If you have a bench press, can you use that to get the weight in position to do a front squat? You might have to do a little quarter squat to lift off the weight and to re-rack it, but that's easy.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #16
Guy Erez

Profile:

Well I got an inclined bench stand, yet back squatting can kill you doing it there.

But front squatting sure is an option, I still want to learn how to power clean, not only for the exercise itself but also in order to learn how to place the bar on my shoulders properly, which seems to not work, yet.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #17
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Until you are proficient with power cleans, you could try goblet squats with a dumbell. This will be fairly effective initially if your gym has some heavy dumbells.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #18
Jonny Blaylock

Profile:

Don't underestimate the effectivness even of a simple air squat: body weight alone. Drives me crazy when people think they will only get a "good workout" by loading up the barbell with as much weight as they can manage. Try to do tabata air squats. Just one "tabata" round: 8 sets of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest. You will probably end up doing over a hundred. I did, anyway, and I'm no squat pro. You may have trouble walking afterwards.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #19
Guy Erez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Blaylock View Post
Don't underestimate the effectivness even of a simple air squat: body weight alone. Drives me crazy when people think they will only get a "good workout" by loading up the barbell with as much weight as they can manage. Try to do tabata air squats. Just one "tabata" round: 8 sets of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest. You will probably end up doing over a hundred. I did, anyway, and I'm no squat pro. You may have trouble walking afterwards.
Never did underestimate it, especially since I haven't squatted for a while, did some front squat with the 45 lbs bar, after some fairly long time without training, and it was in rounds after a little run.. and my quads hurt so much, especially now since in sport's class I have to train some more, which sky rockets my overall DOMS, especially on my quads.

I'm probably gonna try the "tabata" on my WOD workout, does it still appear on the WOD on crossfit?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #20
Zach Price

Profile:

Yeah they just recently posted "Tabata This" tabata air squats, situps, push ups, and pull ups (not in that order). Try doing tabata squats as a finisher after your WOD. Track your tabata progress by scoring the round you do the least reps.
Tabata squats is a great example why there's no excuse not to exercise i.e. "I don't have time" really, you don't have four minutes?