CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #21
Mike Shaw

Profile:
Re: N.O. Explode????

Ive found these type of products must be evaluated not only by your goals but also by your bodies adaptability to these kinds of products..

Example: I rarely drink more than 2 cups of coffee a day in comparison to my training partner who can and does drink 6+
We both started using a similar product and yes there were benefits, mainly with the mental side of things (can I do more?, of course I can do more!)

For me the drawbacks were extreme sleeplessness, I started at 1 scoop as per drections to let the body adapt, almost spewed during that workout but after pushing through, the gastank came from nowhere.... That night 2am sleepytime... Next workout 2 scoops - 3am sleepytime ... Next workout prescribed 3 scoops, whilst I was ready to design a nuclear fusion reactor with my immense concentration and eagerness to work, plus numerous "finishers" because I had so much energy, that night 5am sleepytime.....

I did this for 3 weeks, did my times go down and my weights go up, yes? Did I underrecover to the point of exhaustion completing cancelling the next cycle - yep....

Now, my friend who wasnt so caffeine sensitive, his numbers went up, his sleep was ..OK.. but again it all catches up with you down the track and he's on a self prescribed rest week....

If we take NO as its moniker (Nitrous) think of it like a car, (we've all seen Fast and the Furious) whilst the turbo kick gives you instant output to go harder, it always runs out and you return to the original pace before you hit the button, but what if the car was built to go 140mph and this pushes it to 180+ the question is: is your body ready for that button to be pushed?

Im writing this after a rest week of 10+ hours of sleep a night and a box of tissues because I got sick....

Do I regret it, no....
Would I do it again, no......

Hope this helps someone.....
Old 03-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #22
David Joseph Danaher

Profile:

Taken it before. Didn't do much for me. You could have given me koolaid and told me I'd improve and I'd have put up the same result. All I need is an hour of free time and my Crossfit Playlist, which includes August Burns Red and In Flames, two of my favorite metal bands. No Bach during Fran...it's a clash of worlds. Bach is for my lecture preps. Metal is for when I'm throwing metal around like an angry, giant child!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #23
Stu Christensen

Profile:

I like NOXplode....works great for me, and if you're getting jitters from it or heart palpitations, you took too much...its not the product, its your dosing.

I HATE coffee...and will never drink it. NOXplode works great.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #24
Benjamin Hill

Profile:

I'll chime in here, because I've used N.O.Xplode off/on for the past couple years, and have developed a fairly good personal review about it.

First off, just like the directions say, you want to start with one scoop. You can overdose on N.O, and it's a sucky feeling. Nausea, stomache cramps, and overall discomfort will typically happen if you overdose. However, this may be related to the Creatine as well.

I wouldn't take it before an extremely intense metcon, or a fast-paced run. N.O. works for explosive movements, heavy lifts, and some metcons, but if you take 3 scoops before Fran, you're going to feel like your heart is about to explode.

Now with that said, everything is about dose, and that depends on what you're doing for the WOD. N.O. and creatine have been shown to have little effect on endurance based workouts, such as a long run, but I do feel it helps on strength. That's from doing it over a couple years, and the supplement works enough for me that I'll continue using it.

It's really how your body handles it. Some people get some very bad side-effects from N.O-based products, such as bloating, nausea, hot flashes, and sleeplessness. I personally have no issues sleeping unless I take the supplement in the evening for a late workout. On the other hand, I'd also find myself taking it on days when I'm extremely tired, and need a boost for work (really expensive coffee).
Old 03-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #25
Giles Clarke

Profile:

I used to take the stuff for over a year. I think there were some improvements at the beginning, but they soon tapered off and then taking it just became about routine for me.
I cannot say that I am a fan. I found the taste to be pretty disgusting and the fizzy consistency made me retch.
It also made it hard for me to get to sleep at night.
The worst experience I had with it was the day I took it before a triathlon.
I was at work late the night prior and did not get home until roughly 11pm and had to be up at 4am to leave for the tri. I was exhausted that morning so, despite everything I knew about trying out something new on race day, I took 2 scoops of it with me and downed it and hour before the race. I did all right during the swim and bike, but on the run I experienced the kind of GI distress that only 5 bran muffins and a pot of espresso could induce. I crossed the finish line and kept running straight for the port-o-johns. If it had been anything longer than a sprint tri; it would not have ended well.
But go on and try it if you like! ;-)

Honestly, though, I have seen better and more consistent gains by dropping that stuff, dialing in my nutrition better, proper hydration and proper rest.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #26
Chris J Mason

Profile:

Ok, first, most NO products actually do almost nothing for NO production in the body. Arginine taken orally, for example, does NOTHING for NO production and it is one of the main ingredients in most of the NO products on the market.

If said products do include an ingredient that can help with NO production, it is normally included at an ineffective or low dose.

Next, the ingredients in the products that ACTUALLY do something are nothing out of the norm. Creatine and beta alanine work and will make you bigger and stronger (most people). Again, many products will include these ingredients, but at a low or ineffective dose.

The stimulants also work, but do little other than provide extra energy and help some people to get 'up' for their workout.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #27
Dan Dumsick

Profile:

I am actually taking the stuff right now and I feel like it helps with all types of workouts. It all depends on if you are taking it on an empty stomach or not when it comes to how jittery you feel. It says on the bottle to take it with something in your stomach.

I stay away from caffeine throughout the day so when it comes to my workout at 6pm after work, it definitely helps wake me up. Coffee usually gets my stomach rumbling so I stay away from it pre workout. I don't have any bad crashes after I take it. Only thing about it is after taking it for 2-3 weeks your body gets used to it so you don't feel it nearly as much. So, I would take a couple weeks off or even a month and then start up again if I feel the need.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:59 AM   #28
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Clarke View Post
The worst experience I had with it was the day I took it before a triathlon. I was at work late the night prior and did not get home until roughly 11pm and had to be up at 4am to leave for the tri. I was exhausted that morning so, despite everything I knew about trying out something new on race day, I took 2 scoops of it with me and downed it and hour before the race.
That's not the product, that's your fault, the dosing is ONE scoop per serving.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:00 AM   #29
Erik Wagner

Profile:

Some body builders swear by it, but I can't handle anything like that. I have very small tolerance for caffeine and that other junk that they put in it.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #30
Giles Clarke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
That's not the product, that's your fault, the dosing is ONE scoop per serving.
It might have been one. It was a while ago; so I don't really remember. I know it was the normal dosage I had taken before my weight workouts. Either way, it left me feeling like crap.