CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Free Range/grassfed/wildgame Meats

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Devine View Post
Justin, to answer your original question, I've used Slankers Grass Fed Meat, http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/ -wfs- Good service and the prices were very reasonable I thought. ($10-12/lb for steaks, $4-7 for ground and other cuts.) Our local Henry's market starting carrying gfb from Australia recently so that's my source now.
wow! this is a great source ... pricing is not that bad really. If i couldnt find someone local this would surely be the go to place. Hell, they have the cheapest bones for dogs and a stellar menu. Hell of a deal if you a barf believer.

john.. maybe you can step up and tell us about the packaging and the shipping aspects about this.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:14 AM   #12
Matt Berardi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
wow! this is a great source ... pricing is not that bad really. If i couldnt find someone local this would surely be the go to place. Hell, they have the cheapest bones for dogs and a stellar menu. Hell of a deal if you a barf believer.

john.. maybe you can step up and tell us about the packaging and the shipping aspects about this.
I'm definitely going to be placing an order in the next few days. I've picked out a 7 cubic foot freezer that I'm going to store the meet in. I'm planning on buying some flanks, skirt steaks, turkey sausage, some hams, ground beef, maybe more probably for the 65 lbs to get the 4% discount.

Prices are EXTREMELY reasonable considering this is grass fed real natural beef as close to going out in the forest and killing an animal as you can get. I calculated my cost for ground beef - it is about $5 per pound which is the same as the "natural" beef in the store which is still grain fed and nutritionally devoid.

I called them and a nice lady picked up and answered a couple questions I had. They ship with dry ice, and claim the meat shows up still frozen to your house. They state on the website that they hold liability for proper delivery. I'll let everyone know how they end up packaging my stuff and my experience. I'm thinking it will be good tho - I've been reading the site and from my conversation with the receptionist they seem like real, honest, nice people.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:30 AM   #13
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

I ordered from them this winter, mostly pork and lamb. Quality was good, service was excellent. They come shrink-wrapped, but not quite as heavy duty as the plastic of some vacuum packed meat. My order showed up frozen, but it was February. Many of the cuts are not boneless, so you do end up paying for shipping for some waste, but conversely, you do get the added flavor that bone-in cuts provide.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #14
Chris Lampe

Profile:

I've ordered from Slankers a couple of times and would recommend them. The meat is packed in a cardboard box with 1-2" thick foam insulation on all sides. I believe they instruct the shippers to leave the package to avoid it sitting an extra night in a warehouse but I would check with them to be sure. When I received my packages some of the meat on the perimeter was partially thawed but it was all still very cold. If you haven't had grass-fed beef before, the taste is quite different and takes some getting used to.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #15
Jeff Wilson

Profile:

I love you John! In a non *** way of course. That's a wonderful resource! Now I know where I'm going to get my meat, as well as eggs. Once again, thanks for the great resource.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #16
Matt Berardi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lampe View Post
I've ordered from Slankers a couple of times and would recommend them. The meat is packed in a cardboard box with 1-2" thick foam insulation on all sides. I believe they instruct the shippers to leave the package to avoid it sitting an extra night in a warehouse but I would check with them to be sure. When I received my packages some of the meat on the perimeter was partially thawed but it was all still very cold. If you haven't had grass-fed beef before, the taste is quite different and takes some getting used to.
Do you know if it's a judgement call on UPS's part or is it up to the shipper to require a signature? For me, it would be great if they could just leave it since I work all day when UPS comes, and I wouldn't be able to sign. I think it may have to do with me living in an apartment.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #17
Jeff Evans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Berardi View Post
Do you know if it's a judgement call on UPS's part or is it up to the shipper to require a signature? For me, it would be great if they could just leave it since I work all day when UPS comes, and I wouldn't be able to sign. I think it may have to do with me living in an apartment.
What happens (unfortunately) seems to depend a lot on where you live. Different local branches do things differently. I would call the meat place and the shipper to ask about it. In some situations you can pre-authorize with a signature by printing out a form online and leaving it before the first delivery attempt. On the other hand, sometimes nothing seems to be required at all... once I was in New York for a few months and Freshdirect left my box outside my door in the high rise. The meat was completely thawed by the time I got back.

If all that fails get it delivered to wherever you are during the day, or a close friend/neighbor.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #18
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Berardi View Post
It's up to the shipper whether to require a signature. However, the driver may also have some discretion and may want a signature to cover himself. As Jeff posted, different branches have different habits.

With FedEx, you can file a permanent signature release. That allows them to leave packages without a signature unless the shipper explicitly requires one. I've never tried that with UPS, but they might have the same thing.

Can you have it shipped to yourself at work? Or do you know someone trustworthy who's home during the day?

Katherine
Old 07-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #19
Matt Berardi

Profile:

Grrr yeah I wish they shipped via Fedex... UPS is unreliable in my experience. I have to call UPS and find out what there exact policy is but in my experience they have been less flexible than Fedex. Shipping to work is a no go because I live an hour from work. I'll probably end up shipping to a friend who is home during the day. With the size of the order I'm planning on making, risking all that meat going bad is a tough proposition. If I make a large order, and do it maybe once every 2 months then it won't be so bad to pick it up from my friend.

This is great... too bad I don't have friends in the area to divide an order with, the bulk discounts are nice. I don't think I would like to buy more than 65 lbs of meat in one order... I know frozen meat can last up to 6 months but personally I don't like to do more than 2 months for taste issues.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #20
John Devine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wilson View Post
I love you John! In a non *** way of course. That's a wonderful resource! Now I know where I'm going to get my meat, as well as eggs. Once again, thanks for the great resource.
Glad I could help! Also happy to hear others had a similar experience with Slankers.

As far as signing for it, I know UPS usually delivers to my area between 3-4 PM. If you track the package online, you'll know when it's on the truck for delivery. As Katherine said, check to see of you can leave a signed note or have a neighbor sign.