CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Dave Wood Steps Down As Moderator

Folks,
Dave, along with Kelly and myself, was among the inaugural crew of moderators when this board grew big enough to need moderating.

After six years of tireless, faithful, often thankless, frequently contentious, but always fair-minded, generous, and diligent service to this community, Dave has requested a return to regular member status.

We said no.

The remaining mods are going to miss his steady hand and good advice, although we all completely understand the burn-out that is inherent with moderating an internet forum, even one as generally well-mannered as this one.

Dave's farewell address follows:

"After doing this role for almost 6 years (a Senate term), it's time to let someone else take the job for a while. I leave you in good hands with Lynne, Kelly, Jason, and Joshua. They will (inevitably) bring their own personalities to the job, giving the role a slightly different sensibility and different standards of tolerability for what is acceptable . . . and that's a good thing. My own sense of tolerance has been shrinking for some time; better to have someone with fresh vigor for the role.

The job has always been done by developing a rough consensus among the moderator group. Sometimes, we know each other well enough to predict accurately where we'd all stand on some issue, and individual moderaters will take action accordingly (and quickly). Other times, particularly with more serious stuff like suspensions and the occasional dismemberment (pun fully intendend), we take longer to make sure we're all on the same page. (We all have full-time jobs beyond moderating the board and can't spend 24/7 on the task.)

I thank all of you who managed to remember the crtical core of the AUP for this board: "We require a high level of respect to be shown at all times to other users of the board. " I know it's not always easy, but I am grateful for all who find the patience, and the wit, to do so repeatedly.

I look forward to just *reading* the board and not being the cop for a while.

Dave will retain, whether he likes it or not, "Moderator Emeritus" status and I, as well as the rest of the mod team, extend a heart-felt, voluminous THANK YOU! to Dave and look forward to his posts.

Dave, best wishes in your de-throned status; I hope you have a new year full of bountiful blessings, wonderful workouts, and a wee bit of time for your family and off-duty pursuits.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
Mike Deavers

Profile:
Re: Dave Wood Steps Down As Moderator

Thank you for serving the CF Community, Dave!

Old 12-31-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I've moderated before and six years is a fairly staggering period to moderate a board this active and full of type As. Hats off and well done.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Thank you for all your time and energy!! I look forward to still reading your intelligent and well thought out posts

-Robert

Old 12-31-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:

Six years??? I've always appreciated Dave but that's ridiculous. We are

Thank you sir.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:

David

I want to thank you for your service on the boards. You've given me my fair share of warnings and they were usually well-deserved. I appreciate that you were always willing to hear my side of things before you deleted my comments.

More importantly, I want to take the opportunity to thank you for being a friend and being there for me during some of my most memorable and formative Crossfit experiences. You are the godfather emeritus of Crossfit NYC. You were there for our first workouts in the park and helped us get thrown out of some of the finer globo gyms in New York. You were an inspiration to me cuz I didn't think old guys could move that fast until I met you.

You were also a great pal during my first L1 cert at Santa Cruz and ratted me out to Annie Sakamoto who then swore to kill me! Thanks for that. You don't know fear and dread until you've had Annie swear to kill you.

I hope you'll use your free time to come and visit me in New York and do some workouts. All the best and a happy new year.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Ah, David. While I knew this was coming I did hold out a little hope...

As I complete my third year here in the CF community I'd like to openly state that my earliest experiences here on this Board, moreso than the Comments, were what drew me in. Humble thanks to you (and Kelly and LynnE ) for that.

Peace to you, Brother, as you move on to your next adventure.

--bingo

Old 12-31-2008, 05:45 PM   #8

Profile:

David -

Thanks. Your work has not gone unappreciated.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
Skip Chase

Profile:

Thank you, Dave.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

Thank you all for you kind words, and special thanks to Keith. I, too, remember the early days of CFNYC with fondness.

In possibly my last official act as a Moderator, I'm closing this thread before I get too embarassed.

Closed Thread