CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Oleg Zhoglo

Profile:
Working out early in the morning?

What is the general consensus on this? I do my CF workouts at the university gym. The place is extremely crowded during the day, so I begin my workout at 7:30 am- I wake up at 6 am, have breakfast, walk 1.5 miles to school, workout. I get 7-8 hours of sleep a night, 2 weeks into this routine I feel fine- are there any drawbacks to working out so early in the day?

thanks
Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Hank Tun

Profile:
Re: Working out early in the morning?

i would have to say no, for the past 3 1/2 months ive been working out AM time since my work schedual has all been night shifts. the only thing i realized is that i eat a little more, or maybe i just consume more calories.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Why would there be any drawbacks to morning workouts?

Lots of people in lots of sports (including elite athletes/college varsity) workout in the morning, if there was a problem with it then they definitely wouldn't do it.

I've been working out in the mornings for many years, I'd argue there are many benefits compared to working out later in the day:

* fewer excuses to skip the workout
* start the day awake & aware
* less crowded
Old 10-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
David Croushore

Profile:

Morning workouts are great. I always hate getting up and getting motivated, but after a morning workout I feel great all day.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

If you can get yourself up early enough, go for it. Make sure you warm up properly and there's really nothing wrong with it...
Old 10-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Your walk to the campus, if brisk, will be a good warmup/wakeup too. Perfect scenario. Enjoy!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
Peter Yeates

Profile:

7.30am early ??? Try 4.30am workouts when there are still stars to be seen and the birds arn't even up. The neighbours think I am nuts.

Morning workouts are great but you have to be really warmed up so you don't strain anything. The walk before working out is good but can leave your upper body a bit under done, so still do a propper warmup.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:02 AM   #8
Ahmed Darwish

Profile:

Early morning exercising is my best bet on being committed to a training schedule. For me, the probability of skipping a workout is much higher at afternoon or evening and almost zero at the morning.

My non-morning cases:
- "ok, let's solve/study this then go" .. suddenly I find myself very late to go and workout.
- I get the feeling that working out have a big overhead over my time. At morning, it usually feels very lite since your day has not even started yet.
- Sometimes it limits my opportunities for urgently meeting someone, getting out, meeting a deadline ...

In the morning (before college/work - usually @ 6/7 am):
- Everything is quiet .. peace of mind.
- The gym is almost empty .. more time savings and freedom.
- Enough time to prepare a rich and healthy breakfast .. more exercise power.
- Super-energized throughout the day .. I don't feel like a zombie at work.
- No excuses to omit the workout, since its time is pre-slotted.
- Sleeping early and getting up early makes me always feel optimistic .

Some precautions:
- No carbs at breakfast, it makes me feel heavy. Eggs, lots of veggies, bacon, olive oil, .. are great ingredients.
- Enough warm-up time to get out of the sleepy mode. Running, rowing, a dynamic warmup, CFWU are all great stuff.

The morning is always beautiful .
Old 10-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
Heath Powell

Profile:

Yeah, I'm on board with this one to!

I have a MON-FRI job with work starting around 7 So I show up right around 6am when the local CF gym opens. I always feel rough when I first get up but like everyone elese said once you shake the cobbwebs out its just like any other time. It is also nice to free up your evenings to get other things done or go out an do things with friends!

I just kill a can of Reb Bull and have a Marathon Protein Bar and by time I get to the gym I'm freaking out and ready for WOD's
Old 10-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
David Sumner

Profile:

Oleg,
Used to be a 8pm or 9pm workout type of guy. During summers in high school I had access to a globo gym during after hours and would work out at 12 or 1 at night. Never thought I would be the type to wake up before dawn to workout. Then I started Crossfit and I do 5am workouts regularly. Amazing what an addict will do to get his fix

The only downside of a really early workout is that I wakeup at 4:30am, at the gym by 5am and working out by 5:15. There is not much I can eat that gets processed in time for my hour long Navy Seals Crossfit workouts I have been doing lately. I could go with an energy drink, but those are something I tried to avoid like the plague. So when I have a workout that I really want to perform my best at I will save it for an evening class. Otherwise I eat a good serving of fat before I go to bed and hope it sticks around for my morning workout