CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
Marty Klingelhofer

Profile:
crossfit for hs and college athlete preparation

While I enjoy doing crossfit workouts and have told sport coaches and high school athletes about the site and the system, I feel it should be used for general preparation, probably in the early off-season and as a chang-up for traditional training. I asked Coach Burgener about this and he said that soccer players should do 2 traditional/olympic days for every 10 training days while football should do one crossfit workout for every 5-7 traditional days. I understand the different energy demands of each sport, etc, but I still wonder why not train for strength/power all of the time, or at least the vast majority of the time, assuming that while strength training, the athlete is also doing sprints, plyometrics, agilities, form running drills, and sport specific drills. I know from first-hand experience about the fitness developed through doing crossfit workouts and i know that there are WOD's that are testing for strength, but most of the workouts are very submaximal.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Aaron Trent

Profile:
Re: crossfit for hs and college athlete preparation

There is only so much benefit to strength. Beeing able to squat 3x Bodyweight doesn't mean much to a QB who has to know his plays inside and out.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
David Long

Profile:

One thing that we found out over time, and moving from more PT to CrossFit is that at a rec. level CF WODs will pretty much give them what they need, but at HS and especially college you have to start looking at the individual sport. Football is ALL about the combine, so if you can't bench you are at a disadvantage in try outs. We use CF for all off season training, but mix in sport specific work as they get ready for try outs and the season.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Brian Yoak

Profile:

I am the head athletic trainer at a high school and we (Strength coach and myself) have completed changed how we train our athletes. We knew that a few of our sports lacked strength, especially soccer and basketball. This summer those teams have begun to do CF along with other workouts

Our football team did CF last summer along with swimming and traditional weightlifting. Although, our record did not show it, were stronger in the 4th quarter and in general punished teams that could not keep up with our level of conditioning. I had fewer injuries and did not have a single athlete succumb to leg cramps in the 4th quarter. We did not have a single pulled hamstring or lumbar strain all year...in fact, I cannot remember any muscle strains. It will exciting to see what happens this fall when the FB team has a full year of CF under them.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
Marty Klingelhofer

Profile:

That is interesting about your results with the football team. How often did you do traditional lifting vs crossfit or did you start every day with traditional and then add some crossfit as the workout progressed? While I believe that strength is just one component of athletic development, I am curious about the strength of your football team. Did the addition of crossfit change the strength of your team, however you measure it, either positively or negatively? If your FB kids were stronger in the 4th quarter than in the past, how much sprinting/conditioning/agilities did you do along with the crossfit/swimming/traditional lifting compared to what you did in previous years?

You mentioned the strength of your socccer team going up wqith the addition of crossfit training, but how much strength training did you do with them previously? I know that most soccer teams do not do much strength training, so the addition of crossfit or any other method would surely have a positive effect on their strength. How much sprinting/conditioning/agilities do you do with your soccer team in the off- and pre- seasons.

I really would like to hear from anyone about this because I think that the addition of crossfit -type training will be beneficial to my athletes (and I have incorporated some WOD's with them in the last year), but I want to make sure that I am adding to their development and not taking something away with this addition. Right now with out FB team, we are doing 4 workouts/week for about 2 hrs/day combined strength training (mostly traditional) and speed work, agilities, plyos, and speed endurance - depending on the day. I feel that anyone taking part in our program will be very fit, faster, stronger, and well prepared for the fall. Therefore, any changes I make need to be well thought out.